Trailfir tunnel

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
80_liquifire

Trailfir tunnel

Post by 80_liquifire »

I have a 1979 trailfire with the metal tunnel in rusted shape , belly pan is nice .

Also have a 1980 trailfire junk/part sled . Aluminum tunnel is nice , belly pan is rusted bad .

So I was thinking of swapping the aluminum tunnel onto the 1979 belly pan , seems streight forward . Would there be any problems with this ?
Last edited by 80_liquifire on Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoeRainville

Trailfir tunnel

Post by JoeRainville »

No, it's pretty much a direct swap, and have been done by several other members. Check out the FAQ on the Trailfire/Sportfire for more info.

Good Luck,
-Rainville
Honorary Tech Editor

Chuck Norris doesn't get frost bite. He bites the frost.
80_liquifire

Trailfir tunnel

Post by 80_liquifire »

Thanks ,
it looks pretty simple . I did notice the 79 has a lot less rivets on it . Were they spot welded together at points ? Could not see any spot weld dimples from the top .

MIKE
JoeRainville

Trailfir tunnel

Post by JoeRainville »

Mike,

The entire 79 tunnel is steel, so there is no real joint between the tunnel and bulkhead. The 80-84 chassis were an aluminum tunnel rivited to a steel bulkhead. So on the 79 chassis, there are less joints, welds and rivits.

I hope this helps,
-Joe Rainville
Honorary Tech Editor

Chuck Norris doesn't get frost bite. He bites the frost.
80_liquifire

Trailfir tunnel

Post by 80_liquifire »

Well finally got this swap done .It went pretty well, hardest part was busting the welds that joined the 79 tunnel/bulkhead.

Now one more question , on the seat straps on these trailfires.
Is the strap held onto the tunnel with a small carrage bolt that has a acorn nut on the outside ?
OR
Is there a flat carrage bolt going from the outside through tunnel to the inside ?
Reason I ask I am not sure if there is a clearance problem with the track .

Thnx Joe
**** EDIT That question : found the answer in a old post ****
Mike
Last edited by 80_liquifire on Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mwking

Trailfir tunnel

Post by mwking »

Hi,

There is a small carridge bolt (3/8" x 1/2" long) going from the inside to an acorn nut on the outside. The square part of the carridge bolt fits into the square hole in the tunnel.

Murray
'84 Liquifire,'84 Sportfire, '83 Sprintfire, '82 Spitfire, '82 Trailfire LX, '80 Liquifire (2), '80 Sportfire,'80 340 Trailfire, '79 Spitfire