building a small groomer puller

For hobbies other then snowmobiles.
Liquifire 4/6

Post by Liquifire 4/6 »

S_Kyle wrote:Pete any idea when the big reveal/ relic run will be?
Hiya Scott. The vintage derby is set for March 7 this year. I decided to have it a bit later than normal in hopes of having some nice weather. I don't think March 7 should be pushing it as far as snow conditions because the location we use generally holds up well snow wise until late March......plus I groom the heck out of the trail and the constant packing generally will keep the trail in good condition long after the warm weather sets in, usually well into mid April. I'll be starting to groom late next week with my Widetrack, but I'm hopeful that by early/mid February I'll be using the twin track. By the way, I've come up with a name for the twin track.....it's gonna be the Advance 2500VTG. I picked the Advance part because of an old threshing machine that was rusting away on some farmland we bought many years ago. It was called the Rumely Advance Ideal.....I kinda always thought that was a neat name, so I borrowed a portion of it. The 2500 part is a conservative estimate of the hours I've spent working on it and the VTG stands for Vintage Trail Groomer. Here's another pic showing the cab interior getting reasonably close to completion. I still have to install some floormatting and a bunch of switches and stuff, but the hard part is done. If you're wondering about the big green X on the windshield, I put some masking tape on it to remind myself there's a window there now since I've become pretty accustomed to working through the opening and don't want to forget now and put something through the glass.

Attachments:
Last edited by Liquifire 4/6 on Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter from Roblin, Manitoba
427cobra

Post by 427cobra »

Very impressive....Looks like you're getting close!!
Eric A.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid" - John Wayne
Mr. Deere

Post by Mr. Deere »

Wow I wish I could fab something like that up. Maybe some day.
BOB From MASS
OWN: 1 1983 JOHN DEERE LIQUIFIRE 440
1 1973 JOHN DEERE JDX8 440
1 1982 JOHN DEERE SPORTFIRE 440
1 2000 SKIDOO MXZ 600
GOTTA LOVE THAT TWO STROKE SMELL
79 Spitfire

Post by 79 Spitfire »

Looking very nice you have put alot of time into this thing.
James

1979 Spitfire 340
1980 Trailfire 440
Liquifire 4/6

Post by Liquifire 4/6 »

Still sluggin away at this thing. I spent the last four days wiring it and probably will still be working on the wiring well into next week.......I can't say I really enjoy soldering.

Attachments:
Mr. Deere

Post by Mr. Deere »

WOW I could never do that. I would get so pissed off and start breaking things. You going to insure it.
BOB From MASS
1 2000 SKIDOO MXZ 600
Jack Frost

Post by Jack Frost »

Looking good Pete! :clap:
1978 340 CC Liquifire
I once bought my kids a set of batteries for Christmas with a note on it saying, toys not included
Liquifire 4/6

Post by Liquifire 4/6 »

Gettin close now. I figure another week and if all goes well, she should be ready for a bit of a test run

Attachments:
Last edited by Liquifire 4/6 on Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Deere

Post by Mr. Deere »

Pete won't that panel be a Giant Blind spot???
BOB From MASS
1 2000 SKIDOO MXZ 600
Liquifire 4/6

Post by Liquifire 4/6 »

She's finally running. Still have some things to finish up, but she made her maiden voyage today.

Attachments:
Last edited by Liquifire 4/6 on Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
JDT

Post by JDT »

It must have been a good run as your sure look happy. Looks great.
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Look'n good Pete, how'd it run?? any problem steering because of the twin tracks??

Kenny
AKA: Kenny, Grumpy, Mr. Richard Head
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
Do Anti-War Protesters have reunions? If so what do they TALK about?
Liquifire 4/6

Post by Liquifire 4/6 »

ICCSF 108 wrote:Look'n good Pete, how'd it run?? any problem steering because of the twin tracks??

Kenny
Actually, I am quite happy with the results of the first test run........I do have some clutching issues to sort through, but I had counted on it taking awhile to get her dialed in. As far as the steering goes, I was absolutely amazed........It steers much better than I thought it would. I will try to post some video of it in action within a couple days. I had taken some excellent video yesterday, but somehow while downloading it from my camera into my computer, it completely vanished on me. I guess there is no way to post a video in here, so I guess I'll need to put it on utube and post a link. But I've never put a video on utube before.......anybody wanna give me some tips on how to do it?
Mr. Deere

Post by Mr. Deere »

Nice looks cool.
BOB From MASS
1 2000 SKIDOO MXZ 600
Liquifire 4/6

Post by Liquifire 4/6 »

Ok, I finally have a short video on youtube showing this thing running. Took me awhile to figure out how to post on youtube.....and I still haven't figured out how to put up a link in here to take you directly to it.....if you want to see it, just type in the following

http:www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS_vETAA4pc

There's gotta be an easier way.......I'll wait for one of you to tell me how to create a link. It's a pretty short video I took of one of my buddies taking it for a spin. I'll try to get some better video of it tomorrow.