Burnt Piston in The 600

Technical topics related to machines powered by Kioritz/CCW & Kohler motors.
Cabindweller

Burnt Piston in The 600

Post by Cabindweller »

I pulled the heads off the 600 a few minutes ago to have a look inside and found a burnt piston on the clutch side.

Clutch Side Piston

Mag side Piston looks good.

The Jug looks ok as near as I can tell? I hope a hone job will to the trick. There is no deep scratches or scouring as best as I can see. Picture is not the best, I couldn't get my camera to flash.

Next weekend I will check and see if the local parts place has a used piston. Art's Snowmobile and ATV. They seem to have most anything.
I see rings are still out there.

Jerry
Old sleds are hours of entertainment.... then you get to ride them for a little bit.
JDT

Burnt Piston in The 600

Post by JDT »

Jerry don't count on the rings being any good anymore.

Real good chance the cause was a old seal on the crank.

You will also want to remove all that aluminum from the exhaust ports.
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
Cabindweller

Burnt Piston in The 600

Post by Cabindweller »

Yea JDT I am planing to get new rings for it I see there is an ebay seller that has some. There was a new set of crank seals floating around in the tool box. They were in an envelope. Looks like the last person who worked on it was going to put them in but never did. The only thing is I'm not sure they are the right ones. They are both Numberd SC 25 62 10 One has 1 . 3 in real small numbers and the other has 3 . 5 The 1 . 3 crank seal has a ridge, half way around the outside. The both say NOK in a triangle. Can any one varify thease Crank Seals? I am fortunate to have a friend who is a Mechanic at a Power sports place. He will do allot of work for a 12 pack of beer. I will Have him help me out with the critical stuff. Just need to make sure he don't try working on anything after the twelver is gone.

My guess is the seal is out on that side also.

Jerry
Old sleds are hours of entertainment.... then you get to ride them for a little bit.
Cabindweller

Burnt Piston in The 600

Post by Cabindweller »

I mesured these seals out and they measure 25mm inside 62mm oustide and 10mm Thick From the looks of it this is a common seal. Now I understand what the 25 62 10 numbers on the seals mean.

Jerry
Last edited by Cabindweller on Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ICCSF 108

Burnt Piston in The 600

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Jerry, Is that a piston ported motor?? If so whats the model number of that motor??

Kenny
AKA: Kenny, Grumpy, Mr. Richard Head
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
Do Anti-War Protesters have reunions? If so what do they TALK about?
Cabindweller

Burnt Piston in The 600

Post by Cabindweller »

Kenny,

yea its the piston ported motor, CCW KEC-440/5.

Jerry
Last edited by Cabindweller on Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
400brian

Burnt Piston in The 600

Post by 400brian »

Note that there is no wash on the pistons at all, strikes me as running rich.
Are your fan belt, and bearings good?

'09 Vintage Challenge Survivor, and I wasn't late for supper!
'10, '11, '12, '13,'14,'15,'16,'17, '18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Vintage Challenge Survivor !
72 400 restored, Father bought new in '71
73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'74 X8 9 time VC finisher
'78 Spitfire in progress
2 '75 340S 1 running, one on deck
'78 LF 440 future CC clone
'73 Skiroule RTX 440, 500 mi.
Cabindweller

Burnt Piston in The 600

Post by Cabindweller »

Brian,

I haven't got into it very far yet. I will make sure to check it out.

Jerry
ICCSF 108

Burnt Piston in The 600

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Jerry, thanks then I know one of the motors I tore down was a 440/5.. Because the jugs look the same as yours..

Kenny
Last edited by ICCSF 108 on Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
Cabindweller

Burnt Piston in The 600

Post by Cabindweller »

Kenny

Don't suppose you have a pistion laying around some where?

Jerry
ICCSF 108

Burnt Piston in The 600

Post by ICCSF 108 »

I'll have to ck, I'll let you know tomorrow. PM me.. Can you look inside your piston & send me the number casted inside the intake side of the skirt??

Kenny
Last edited by ICCSF 108 on Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JDT

Burnt Piston in The 600

Post by JDT »

Now I know what you were talking about with one set of long bolts and one set of short Kenny.
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
JDT

Burnt Piston in The 600

Post by JDT »

Jerry, you need to look real close at the seals you found in the tool box.

They were in a paper envolope and tool boxes get wet. The springs on the seal lip may be rusty.

The spring breaks and you have no seal anymore.

New seals cost $3.... don't risk it.
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
Cabindweller

Burnt Piston in The 600

Post by Cabindweller »

400brian wrote:Note that there is no wash on the pistons at all, strikes me as running rich.
Are your fan belt, and bearings good?
Well you were Close The fan belt was shot. The fan itself spins freely. I got the jug off tonight and that looks worse than I had thought. I don't know if it will hone out. So now I might be in need of a jug too. I will post in wanted in the classified section. I checked with my local parts place for a used pistion and they couldn't help me.

Sorry for posting this in the wrong location.

Jerry
ICCSF 108

Burnt Piston in The 600

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Jerry get me those numbers from inside the piston. I'm leaving Feb 16th so if I have what you need it'll have to go out soon.. There should be no reason you can't hone out the cylinders There steel liners, unless a ring or part of the piston caught a port.

Kenny