Vintage Challenge List

JoeRainville

Vintage Challenge List

Post by JoeRainville »

Hi Guys,

Attached is the picture one of the guys took of the Vintage Challenge sign up. I think it's complete with 27 sled riders and Karen Nelson riding 2-up with Brain. I listed them out below, as some are hard to read, and I filled in what I could remember of what sleds they were on, and how far they made it.

Can anyone help fill in the blanks, as I didn't know everyone on the ride.
Thanks,
-Rainville

Tom Rowland - 77 Cross Country Cat, made it back to Rt 70
Eric Bergstrom - 79 El Tigre 5000, fuel pump failure, made it 90 miles
Travis Peterson - Bearcat Support sled, made entire trip
Todd Meyers - 76 JD Cyclone 440, made entire trip
Scott Smith - 1980 Liquifire, Brian Nelson towed him back
John Kropp (Only 16!) - 1983 Sprintfire made entire trip
Nick Stafford - Custom 75 Z, made entire trip
Kevin Campbell - 75 JD JDX-8, made entire trip
Ross Heavener - 1979 Yami SRX, made most of trip, minus cross Lake Gogobic
Guy Cowing (68 years old!) 1980 Liquifire, made entire trip!
Tom Cowing - Cat EXT, made entire trip
Roger Jordan - 1980 Polaris TX 440, made entire trip
Mike Wienfarter - back up guide, Ski-Doo MxZ 500, entire trip
Dan Cunningham - 1978 Polaris TX-L, made entire trip
Mike Tomlinson - 1978 Polaris TX-L, made entire trip
Kieth Bylin - 1980 JD Liquifire, towed for 40 min, but refired to finish
Dan Larson - 79 Cat Cross Country, made entire trip
Teresa Larson - Late Model Cat Panther, made entire trip
Allan Teach - 1980 (?) Liquifire, made entire trip
Ryan Teach - 83 Sportfire, traded out for Sprintfire at first gas stop (I think!)
Dean Cassola
Brian and Karen Nelson - Turbo Cat, made entire trip helping those in need
Brian Lindner - 74 JDX-8, made entire trip
Joe Rainville - 78 Cross Country Liquifire, made entire trip
Troy Miley - 75 340/s, broken rail, did 45 miles
Ken Waters - 1980 Liquifire, made entire trip
Jon Carlson - 1976 Liquidator, clutch failed at 48 miles

Attachments:
Last edited by JoeRainville on Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Honorary Tech Editor

Chuck Norris doesn't get frost bite. He bites the frost.
400brian

Vintage Challenge List

Post by 400brian »

I think maybe 19 is Allen Teach

'09 Vintage Challenge Survivor, and I wasn't late for supper!
'10, '11, '12, '13,'14,'15,'16,'17, '18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Vintage Challenge Survivor !
72 400 restored, Father bought new in '71
73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'74 X8 9 time VC finisher
'78 Spitfire in progress
2 '75 340S 1 running, one on deck
'78 LF 440 future CC clone
'73 Skiroule RTX 440, 500 mi.
kenwaters

Vintage Challenge List

Post by kenwaters »

Good work Joe!

Since the list is down to seven unknowns, and the spelling is good or at least close (Dean Cassola, Allen Teach?) maybe Loren could help fill in the blank with info from the event. Maybe have Loren contact the remaining people and have them contact you.
Last edited by kenwaters on Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny Waters(boy)
Rochester, NY

Mechanic for founding VDR teammate JDJR
Opinions are worthless...Education is priceless
Aspiring to be the Charlie Daniels of the torque wrench

'74 X-6
'75 X-8
'75 340S
'77 340 Liquifire
'78 440 Liquifire
'80 Spitfire
'80 Liquifire (completed VC and sometimes raced)
'81 Liquifire (bib #212f Red Lake Vintage CC Sled)
'82 Liquifire
'83 Liquifire
'83 Sprintfire (1 runner +2 parts sleds)
'96 Indy Storm (hated by JDJR and Thundercats)
WinnipegStPaul9

Vintage Challenge List

Post by WinnipegStPaul9 »

There's a post on here somewhere with a picture of the green sign up sheet. I'm pretty sure Kevin (kwc) took it. It had everyone's name listed. DA
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
kwc

Vintage Challenge List

Post by kwc »

yes sir, I took that picture after breakfast when we lined up at the HOF....thank you Don.

My buddy Ross Heavener was on the SRX.

Attachments:
Kevin Campbell
Vicksburg, Michigan
JDGuy

Vintage Challenge List

Post by JDGuy »

Joe:

It was good to see you and Kenny Waters at the VC. Had a nice talk with Kenny at the late dinner.

Tom Cowing made the entire trip, about 70% on Cat EXT and about 30% on 80 LF. I had the opposite %. We traded rides a couple of times.

For those running the Challenge next year with 80+ LF?s with oil injection, it would be good to carry a bit of extra oil. Mine used a full tank but I did not realize that until unloading it here at home. Tank effectively empty, right at the ~1/2 inch stand pipe in tank bottom and feed line to pump all but dry. No harm done, but that was too close. I never gave oil a thought other than it shouldn?t be a problem for that distance.....total concentration on keeping up with you young guys and staying out of the trees on ice corners. Not remembering for sure how much fuel it used, maybe 14 gallons, that would be about 32:1. Maybe it used more than 14 gallons (?), think it ran a lot of ? throttle, and some ?+ out corners onto straights.
JoeRainville

Vintage Challenge List

Post by JoeRainville »

Hi Guys, and Guy!

Thanks for the help on the spelling and such. Can anyone else help fill in who was on what sled?

Don, the pic you are discussing was attached to my original post! Stop beating Bob, and pay attention, LOL! OK, never mind, keep roughing up Bob, he needs it.

Guy, you set the standard for how tough Waters and I should be at 68! Darn impressive riding. Is that the same Liquifire you had at the HOF 2 years ago?

Kenny, I am kind of helping out Loren by putting this list together. I already sent him what I have so far.

Thanks for all the help,
-Joe
Honorary Tech Editor

JDGuy

Vintage Challenge List

Post by JDGuy »

Joe:

Same LF as at HOF two years ago. Engine is now broke in. Good springs you sold me. We got on some real mogully stuff just before Hwy 70. Our group ended up on trails as result of confusing signs, couldn't find way to last lake.
#269liquidater

Vintage Challenge List

Post by #269liquidater »

Joe
I found a Liquidater muffler under my bench today, anyone interested?
Brian Nelson, nelsontours@charter.net
JoeRainville

Vintage Challenge List

Post by JoeRainville »

Hi Guys,

Tom Rowland and Nick posted on VS to fill in a few more blanks, as did Jekyll. Down to the last 3 riders, Allan Teach, Ryan Teach and Dean Cassola. I think one of those guys had the Sportfire that ended up getting swapped out for a Sprintfire at lunch. If anyone has any info, please let me know.

Guy, glad those NOS leaf springs were put to good use on the ride. Next year I will make sure we all have a bunch of trail mapps. We got lost too.

Brian, I sent you a note to you e-mail. Could use the muffer...

Thanks,
-Joe
Last edited by JoeRainville on Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Honorary Tech Editor

Jekyll

Vintage Challenge List

Post by Jekyll »

Joe (and Gang),

Funny story about the signature on line #13.

PolarisDan and I walked in togeather, since I had sent in the regstration information I went first. When it came time to sign the green board I was number 12. As Dan was about to sign up, I said "don't use line number 13, it might be bad luck".

That's why Mike W is on line 13 and PolarisDan in on 14.

Later,
Roger
Norton

Vintage Challenge List

Post by Norton »

Hello Joe and HOF Vintage riders,

Wish I had more time to get to know and visit with the green bib riders. Still this ride was quite an experience. I finally got a chance to chase Brian Nelson in the woods, just wish it wasn?t behind a 12 foot rope! Fate takes over sometimes and after 40 min. behind his turbo Arctic and contemplating why my 82 Liquifire would not rev up after our gal in the group took a tumble, I remembered a post on this form telling about disconnecting the rev limiter (this is my first experience with the last generation Liquifire). So the tow rope breaks about 30 min from the Whitetail Inn and Brian, Karen, and his Turbo Cat did not even know I no longer in tow (later at the Whitetail Inn Brian profusely apologizes). By this time I was a adopted member of ?Team Polaris? riding the day with a matching pair of 78 TXL?s and one 80 440TX. They pull behind me in the dark woods and with two dim headlights between four sleds, the rev limiter is disconnected, 20 lbs of snow removed by hand from under the hood and 2 pulls later the Liquifire is again part of Team Polaris. I would like to thank Roger, Dan, & Mike from ?Team Polaris? for their acts of kindness and help. HOF Loren, Jon Carlson and others responsible for this event, please do not tweak the Long Vintage Challenge too much. I am sure we added to the days stress level with our late return but the memories provided are priceless.

Joe I hope this filled in part of the blanks for this thread and your one of the guys I wish I had time to visit with.

Later,

keith bylin
HoosierDeereMan

Vintage Challenge List

Post by HoosierDeereMan »

Joe,

Give this number a call (715) 493-3633. This Jack's cell phone. He was the support driver who picked me up at Cisco's. He was the Teach's support vehicle. I'm sure he can get you in touch with them. If I understood right they are from the Eagle River area. Yes, they did swap a Deere sled at Fishtales during lunch.

Troy
'72 400
'73 400, (2)500's, 600
'74 295/S (restored) 2010 HOF poker run survivor.
'75 800, JDX8,
'75 340/S 2011 & 2012 Vintage Challenge finisher.
'76 (2)400's
'78 Liquifire 340,440
'79 Spitfire
"If it has Tits, Tires, or Tracks it's gonna cost you money!"
snodawg 315

Vintage Challenge List

Post by snodawg 315 »

Joe,

Allen Teach was riding a 80 or 81 liquifire and Ryan Teach started on Sportfire (may have switched to Trail Twister). They are not from Eagle River area, but rather a small town in southwestern wisconsin (Gays Mills). I grew up in the same area and have ridden and raced with Allen several times. If you really need to get in touch with them, just respond here and I can get you a phone number. Rumor has it that the liquifire might be up for sale.

Dean Olson
Previously owned Sleds:
1973 JDX8, 1973 JDX4, 1981 Liquifire, 1983 Liquifire, 1979 El Tigre Cross Country, 1979 Scorpion Sting and a few other Klunkers
Currently Own: 1980 Spitfire, 97 Cat ZR 440, 94 Cat ZR 580
JoeRainville

Vintage Challenge List

Post by JoeRainville »

Hi Guys,

Jekyll, funny story! Maybe we have a rule next year that the guides don't register under #13?! Yikes.

Kieth, Sorry we didn't get to talk much, but glad you were able to make the trip, and most of the ride under your own power. Making it back under your own power is what really mattered most.

Troy and Dean, thanks for the info. I am pretty sure it was ann 83 Sportfire that Ryan was on, and it was traded out for an 83 Sprintfire. I appriciate the help.

Turns out we actually had less major issues than I thought. Only one more sled rider to identify.

-Rainville
Honorary Tech Editor