JDX6

Technical topics related to machines powered by Kioritz/CCW & Kohler motors.
JDFanPa

JDX6

Post by JDFanPa »

Hey just got a 1974 jdx6 its rough with a really terrible spray paint job most notable is that all the crhome is painted red.Thinking I might fix up what would under normal conditions just be a parts sled to me. This is just because an x6 is the only x sled I dont have be nice to have all 3 and I have only come across 1 other x6 and he wont sell it

Just a few questions sled has a slide suspension and a cleated track. I knew the x4 special and some x8's had this but is this normal for this sled? Im also thinking these tracks are tough to get since its actually the first x or 0 sled Ive had with one wondering if any other deeres use the same track. thanks
harleysportster

JDX6

Post by harleysportster »

The slide suspension did come with that sled. The original track had long cleats that went one one side of the track to the other. The replacement track is what is called the " 2/3 cleated " type. The " 2/3 cleated " track from the early liquifire / cyclones are interchangeable with the early slide suspensions .
'76 440 cyclone
'76 440 liquifire
'78 440 Cyclone
'75 JDX8 (sold to a member here)
'78 Liquifire(CrossCountry Clone)
'80 Liquifire(sold)
Matt

JDX6

Post by Matt »

Andy, ALL '74 and '75 JDXs had the slide suspension/ cleated track. As Pat said, the JDXs and Cyclone/Liquifires all had the same setup, so they aren't that hard to find. I got a OK used one off ebay for $50 last season. There was just recently a very nice one on ebay that went for around $130 I think.
:usa: Matt - JDsleds.com Administrator
JDFanPa

JDX6

Post by JDFanPa »

Thanks guys wasnt sure when and what models went to the slide/cleat setup but you guys got me straight now. Not 100% I need a track yet but 1 of the sliders is almost completly gone and judging from the rest of the sled Im sure they ran it this way and would rather change the track than replace a whole bunch of cleats. I got this sled in a package with a 72 puma and a 78/9 invader 340 for $120. Now Im having thoughts of putting this kawi liquid motor in a different sled but thats somewhere and and some other time. THANKS
JoeRainville

JDX6

Post by JoeRainville »

Andy,

If your X-6 has the factory 15" cleated track, you should propably look for a good used 2/3's cleated track with the 10" cleats. The 15" cleated track used from 74-76 on JDX's, LF and Cyclones was pretty much junk. The 2/3's cleated track that came factory on the 77-78 LF & Cyclones was much more durable. Alot of the older machines were retrofitted with the newer track, so they are not hard to find.

Also, all Deere sleds used the same slide rails, so they are readily available. The only differance is the aftermarket ones are black, not white like the originals.

Good luck with your X-6 project,
-Joe Rainville
"Tech-Ed"
Honorary Tech Editor

Chuck Norris doesn't get frost bite. He bites the frost.
JDFanPa

JDX6

Post by JDFanPa »

Thanks Joe this project wont happen for awhile anyway so will have time to gather things up or maybe find a better sled by the spring. Have lots of other projects going on sure everybody does.
JDGuy

JDX6

Post by JDGuy »

Some historical track triva: The 76 Cyclones & also 76 Liquifires, if I remember correctly, used full width cleated tracks that were made by Goodyear. Those cleates were bonded to the rubber and came loose after some 500 miles or so. Deere offered a "reduced cost" upgrade to the 2/3 riveted cleat track about year after the 76 models were out but still at a pretty expensive cost, considering their original track was junk. As a result of that cost, I bolted mine on with aftermarket cleat fasteners and that worked well, but was a lot of work.
JDFanPa

JDX6

Post by JDFanPa »

I remebered hearing of the bonded tracks. I only looked breifly but swear this track has rivoted cleats and they are full width. Considering how well this sled wasnt treated I would think if it had a weak track/bonded there would be no cleats left. I have to check this out better this weekend my sleds are all at a buddys about 10 miles away will get pics if it seems to be something diffent than the norm.
400brian

JDX6

Post by 400brian »

Andy

My '74 X8 has the original full width cleated track. The cleats are bonded to the track. However, they are drilled, and many of the cleats are pop riveted, or bolted on ( with a special fastener )
A few cleats are broken as well, so I plan to replace those, and pop rivet all the rest.
Otherwise the track looks pretty good. But it is over 30 years old, so who knows how long it may last if I ever get to ride it.

'09 Vintage Challenge Survivor, and I wasn't late for supper!
'10, '11, '12, '13,'14,'15,'16,'17, '18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Vintage Challenge Survivor !
72 400 restored, Father bought new in '71
73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'74 X8 9 time VC finisher
'78 Spitfire in progress
2 '75 340S 1 running, one on deck
'78 LF 440 future CC clone
'73 Skiroule RTX 440, 500 mi.
JDGuy

JDX6

Post by JDGuy »

400brian wrote: Andy

My '74 X8 has the original full width cleated track.? The cleats are bonded to the track. However, they are drilled,? and many of the cleats are pop riveted, or bolted on ( with a special fastener )
A few cleats are broken as well, so I plan to replace those, and pop rivet all the rest.
Otherwise the track looks pretty good.? But it is over 30 years old, so who knows how long it may last if I ever get to ride it.
Brian:

First off, I have no experience with your model seld. My experience is with 76MY Cyclone and Liquifire cleated tracks. With you knowing that take the following for what it is worth (?)...... Before you replace the "broken" cleates, take a look to see if they have cracked through the factory notches in the down standing flanges of the cleat. It is my understanding that they were intended to crack at that location and thus increase track flexibility, similar to the newer 2/3 length cleated track. There should be one set of notches per cleat located at about 1/3 length from the outside edge. The notches were staggered, left side, right side, every other cleat. They were notched to crack at that location and yet provide one piece insertion into the bonding mold in production. Leastwise that is what I was told. If you can still find the cleat bolts, go for it. They had a rubber side head diameter of about 7/8 of an inch, 1/4-20 thread with a recess (hole) at the thread end to peen over the nut to keep it from loosening. I tried pop rivets but they soon failed. The so called cleat bolts were also sold to mount stamped steel claw and star traction products that were used prior to the various carbide pointed studs of today. Hope this helps.
400brian

JDX6

Post by 400brian »

Somewhere, somehow, I had heard of the notches in the cleats for controled breakage.
I have not inspected this track REALLY good as of yet., but I think some of the cleats are broken in a jagged fashion. They have raised hell with the original snow flap!

I have the large head pop rivets, it never really occured to me that they might not be good enough. The fasteners it has now, sound like the cleat bolts you mentioned.

I see that a repo track is over $400 in the new DK catalog, WOW! I think I'll play with this one a bit.

'09 Vintage Challenge Survivor, and I wasn't late for supper!
'10, '11, '12, '13,'14,'15,'16,'17, '18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Vintage Challenge Survivor !
72 400 restored, Father bought new in '71
73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'74 X8 9 time VC finisher
'78 Spitfire in progress
2 '75 340S 1 running, one on deck
'78 LF 440 future CC clone
'73 Skiroule RTX 440, 500 mi.
Matt

JDX6

Post by Matt »

The notches were actually "jagged", so the cleats still had an interlock when laying flat. FYI, there is a 2/3 track on ebay now.
:usa: Matt - JDsleds.com Administrator
JDFanPa

JDX6

Post by JDFanPa »

yes got my eye on it Matt thanks though
Rodimus Prime

JDX6

Post by Rodimus Prime »

i own a 74 jdx6 in original condition althought i may redo the engine this year.. it is complete including the sticker on engine since whole sled has very few miles on it at all.. it came with a 2/3 track on it so im guessing it was changed at factory as previous owner would not have done it.. it was parked in a shed for 25 yrs before i got it pretty siese and let me tell you 25 yr old gas really stinks. reason it was parked... dirty points.. althoug its a pian in the ass the shocks on skis are mounted on outside and not in middle of ski... the two rear shocks and slide suspenion do NOT move much if at all. this is because the 4 cprings are the thickest spring of any sled ... however the good thing is this sled will take a good jump and land really smooth ... the jdx sleds were more of a cross country sled.

so if you need any specific info for this sled.. colors, decals, etc... let me know and i will see what i can find on mine. hood is semi gloss black... satin black from plasticote is an identical match.
jester

Re: JDX6

Post by jester »

I just picked up a 75 JDX6.
It looks like it's in pretty good shape considering it's age. It has a newer track ( 2/3) on it with "K"'s molded into the track. I only paid $50.00 for the sled, the track alone has to be worth that!

The previous owner had some issues with the 'stator' and began to take it apart a couple of years ago. He removed the pull start ( it's gone) and pulley, but hadn't gone any further... looks like some of the plastic shrouds are gone...left side and the cover that you remove to change plugs.

I'll see what I can do with it... It should look nice next to the JDX4 Specials...

Engine, hood, bumper, track all look good...seat is a loss..but John's Upholstery can fix that...
2 -1974 JDX4 Specials
1975 JDX6
1976 Liquifire 340

An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest. ~ Benjamin Franklin
In the beginning of a change the Patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and
hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for
then it costs nothing to be a Patriot. ~ Mark Twain