carb ???s

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
markmac

carb ???s

Post by markmac »

Most of the early jd sleds have for a carb a walboro, but some had the bendix. The 400 being one of them, maybe the only one; i`m not sure. I got a 400 from oldslednut and he had put a keihin on it. I put a walboro on it and it will run good now. Im just wondering what you guys know of the bendix carb, and if any of you guys have one in any of your jd sleds. The keihin did not have a return line and seemed to hard to get set properly so i got a walboro from knoblauch.
Next project jdx4 .
vintagesledguy

carb ???s

Post by vintagesledguy »

from my expiernce keihin carbs are junk most of my sleds hav walboro`s on them and itook them off and put tillitson`s on them cause they are alot easier to tune i believe the walboro was the only carb that had a return line and the bendix carb i dont know that much about but i whould go with a tillitson
400brian

carb ???s

Post by 400brian »

The Bendix carb was used on several models of 00 and JDX sleds.
It is a float bowl carb, so it does not need a return line.

The main reason Bendix carbs are not very popular now, is that parts are no longer available for them.

'09 Vintage Challenge Survivor, and I wasn't late for supper!
'10, '11, '12, '13,'14,'15,'16,'17, '18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Vintage Challenge Survivor !
72 400 restored, Father bought new in '71
73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'74 X8 9 time VC finisher
'78 Spitfire in progress
2 '75 340S 1 running, one on deck
'78 LF 440 future CC clone
'73 Skiroule RTX 440, 500 mi.
krazinite2003

carb ???s

Post by krazinite2003 »

hey hows it going guys hey markmac where do you live im in regina how much did that carb set you back and did berry"knoblauch" give you the cables with it
eppjd

carb ???s

Post by eppjd »

My experience with Walbros is to throw them as far as you can. I run a Bendix on my '74 400 and if you can find parts they run great and aren't too difficult to set. -my 2 Canadian cents
Adam Epp
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

74 400 (2 - sold)
75 800 (motor in pieces, next on the resto list)
75 X4 Special (bare tunnel, stripped)
76 340 Cyclone (resto in progress)
76 340 Cyclone (bare tunnel, stripped)
JDFanPa

carb ???s

Post by JDFanPa »

vintagesledguy wrote: from my expiernce keihin carbs are junk most of my sleds hav walboro`s on them and itook them off and put tillitson`s on them cause they are alot easier to tune i believe the walboro was the only carb that had a return line and the bendix carb i dont know that much about but i whould go with a tillitson
Nearly all the tillitsons in the HD line have a return line as do most of the HR tillitsons however most with the exception of a few HR carbs dont have a fitting for the pulse line the pulse comes through intake into rear of carb. Tillitsons really are the easiest to rebuild and tune IMHO.

Keihin carbs can be a bugger to work with but also very easy to rebuild but kits are harder to get. I think these carbs when properly tuned might be the best as far as performance goes they are really snappy on my rupp sleds.

Walbro are tuff sometimes also but work good when they are right but they are certainly the most complex to rebuild.

I am lucky enough to not own any sleds with a bendix so have no experience with them

just my 33 cents
markmac

carb ???s

Post by markmac »

Hey krazinite2003 you were wondering were i live; Glen Ewen which is in the se part of sask, inbetween Carnduff and Oxbow. I can`t remember what i paid for the carb.
And thanks for the insight on the carbs guys.