JD SLEDS.....Leadership

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
I500#54

JD SLEDS.....Leadership

Post by I500#54 »

The passion and support from members of this site and the Deere sled community deserves recognition in the Vintage sled family....from your generous support of the "Make a Wish" 340/s, to the Sportfire charity sled, the terrific effort at Waconia to make Deere the featured sled, the cornerstone multiyear support of the HOF and "Vintage Challange", the charity drive for breast cancer truly defines the charactor, compassion and determination of the JD sled extended family. Thank you for your leadership in our sport. Respectfully Jon
JDT

Re: JD SLEDS.....Leadership

Post by JDT »

Very well stated Jon. Thanks. :clap: :dance: :usa: :canada:
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
JoeRainville

Post by JoeRainville »

Jon,

Like the old saying goes: "What comes around, goes around!" The accomplishments of you and your follow ETD racers was and still is something we look up to and respect. The many top ten I-500 finishes plus all the other wins is still a popular topic when we collectors talk about our CC race sleds. Having ETD racers, mechanics and sled engineers join our little world was a major boost and also increase the quality of our site.

But I think one of larger catlysts was Robert Carlson's induction into the HoF in 2007. CJ's artical in SuperTrax about ETD before the event helped to pave the way. Many of us Deere collectors made the trip to northern WI to meet your Dad, you and your follow racers, along with the technicans and engineers. Who can forget the meet and greet you put together for all of us. It was a chance to meet guys we never thought we would cross paths with. And we finally saw proof the IFS Liquifires were real!

We trucked some 23 plus sleds to WI in 2007 to show our support and appreciation for what your Dad and his team accomplished. From the pic's I have of the event, some 12 of use brought our sleds onto the lake to ride together after the offical RWC was cancelled due to no snow on the trails of St. Germain. I think this was planting a seed for the vintage challenge in 09.

In 2008 many of the Deere collectors returned to the HoF to ride both vintage sleds and the fast ride to Fishtails on modern ones. It was riding around St. Germain and Eagle River with the "NY Posse" Friday night that planted another seed. Tim, Nick and I were on modern Cats, but Greg Shubalok was riding with us on a Trailfire. We rode a moderate pace on those groomed trails, and Greg kept right up with us on his 81 Deere. On Saturday leaving the vintage guys behind for the RWC felt really odd, as many of them were close friends. But, we really wanted to ride with you, Stan and Doug Hayes, Doug Lamm, Joey Halstrum and Roger Skime. What a ride it was!

However, I had decided to go vintage the following year. Lindner posted wondering how many CC racer we could get to show up. Then you posted your challenge to everyone: "Anyone up for a ride to the UP?" That was the final push we needed to call Loren Anderson and get his blessing for the first "Vintage Challenge" See, what comes around, goes around!

-Joe Rainville
Attachments
2007 HOF Deere Vintage Ride
2007 HOF Deere Vintage Ride
HOF Vintage Ride 07.jpg (142.97 KiB) Viewed 485 times
Honorary Tech Editor

Chuck Norris doesn't get frost bite. He bites the frost.
400brian

Post by 400brian »

I wanted to reply to this thread, but Joe pretty much summed it up.

I think what is really interesting are the activities that have gone on in '09.

The efforts of the members here to assist with the "Make a Wish " 340/S, and the Charity Sportfire that was assembled this past weekend. A lot of list members have participated in that. The group has really taken it up a notch!

Now if I could just get my 340/S running reliably........... :bonk:

'09 Vintage Challenge Survivor, and I wasn't late for supper!
'10, '11, '12, '13,'14,'15,'16,'17, '18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Vintage Challenge Survivor !
72 400 restored, Father bought new in '71
73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'74 X8 9 time VC finisher
'78 Spitfire in progress
2 '75 340S 1 running, one on deck
'78 LF 440 future CC clone
'73 Skiroule RTX 440, 500 mi.