titles

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
smitfire

titles

Post by smitfire »

minnesota dosent have titles on sleds and im from iowa and was wondering how i would get a title?
Many new and used parts available, I ship anywhere. Thanks everyone.
ChickenRat

Re: titles

Post by ChickenRat »

I've transfered more sleds in the last five years than I can count. I've never had a problem with a bill of sale and a serial number. Actually, I have very rarely actually had anymore than that. Minnesota doesn't issue titles for snowmobiles so you can't even get one.

Robb
WinnipegStPaul9

Post by WinnipegStPaul9 »

No titles in Indiana. Just registration papers.......if you register.....

DA
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
smitfire

Post by smitfire »

do you have to have a reg. card or will a bill of sale will get you a title?
ChickenRat

Post by ChickenRat »

Bill of sale.

Robb
smitfire

Post by smitfire »

thank you for your help
augie

Post by augie »

in ohio they dont have titles either, but if you buy a sled and both parties are not at the lisc. bureau then you need a notorized bill of sale. augie.
JDT

Post by JDT »

I have had a few experiences with interstate sled sales over the years.

Whether your state requires it or not get a "legal" bill of sale from the seller when you pick up the sled.
That would be a document with the sellers name and address, date of sale, price paid, buyers name, serial number, make and model.

A bill of sale can save you a lot of headaches when transporting down the highway. I once sat along the interstate in MN at 3 AM while the State tropper varified that my cargo of four machines was not accuired at a midnight barn raid.

If the seller has a title or registartion card have him sign that also. It may be helpful when you go to get your new machine properly registared and or licenced.

Even if your state does not require a title or registration it may help to have one when it comes time to resale it. I feel strongly about this one and I have a clear South Dakota title on every snowmobile I own.

The law varies greatly from state to state. Here in SD any snowmobile, regardless of value or age, has to have a title.
If it is your poscession you must have a BOS and have a 30 day period to get a title. If you ride it off your own property you also need a license and proof of insurance. They are very tough on that one here in SD.

If you are unsure of what the rules are in your own state just ask at the DMV or DNR or courthouse. Ignorence of the law is no excuse. Fines are high for not being in complience.

Also do your homework when taking a sled to ride in another state. There may be temporary licenses , trail use permits and issurance requirements that your home state did not require.
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
smitfire

Post by smitfire »

same with me, every sled i bought has come with a reg. card, i will have to call my courthouse and see exactly what they want, hopefully they wont want to have me apply for a lost title and all that hassle
smitfire

Post by smitfire »

is there really a title on a snowmobile anywhere? from what i understand in most states its just a reg. card
the courthouse wants a bill of sale and the reg. card, if it hasent been registered the seller has to sign a nonregistered vehicle card and will issue reg. to me
wycrumb

Post by wycrumb »

Here is the scoop on ND. To start, every time I buy a sled I get a bill of sale for it. Every one of my sleds is titled and registered for life in ND. Since your sled is 25 years old or older they do not require a title from the original owner, walk into the DMV with a Bill of Sale and a Highway Patrol VIN number inspection. You get a VIN number inspection by calling the number for your Highway Patrol branch listed at this link: http://www.nd.gov/ndhp/contact.html, they are done every Wednesday. The employees at the DMV may not know what to do for a vintage snowmobile registration, ask questions if something doesn't sound right and make sure it only costs $5 for the lifetime registration (there will be other fees too, don't worry), they have tried to charge me the same amount as registration for a new sled and it would have only been good for two years. If they don't believe you about vintage registration have them look it up in their book, it is section 39-24-04, you can read if here: http://www.dot.nd.gov/manuals/mv/2008-r ... manual.pdf page 42 of the PDF. When you leave the DMV you should have filled out an "Affidavit Of Use For A Collector Snowmobile" form for them, you will have a yellow copy of this form and a registration card just like the one in your car. The title will then be mailed to you within a month, maybe more and it will look just like a car title. There are no stickers that need to be put on your sled; all you have to do is carry the reg. card with you in your glove-box.

Some people say it's a pain in the butt to do, but after some of the crap I have gone through in ND it is a cinch, plus they probably recognize me now after going in there so much over the last 2 years! Let me know if you need any more info on this.
Wycrumb

'09 John Deere Snow-Mower SM440
'96 Lifted Utility Club Car Carryall II
'82 Kawasaki KZ650 CSR
'74 John Deere 300
'72 John Deere 400
'73 John Deere 400
'73 John Deere 600
'79 John Deere Trailfire 340/440
'80 John Deere Sportfire 440
smitfire

Post by smitfire »

i have renewed all my sleds every year, they must not know this and neither did i
wycrumb

Post by wycrumb »

If you are saying this in regard to my post, then let me point out, ND is lifetime reg. for collector sleds but it may not be the same in your state.
Wycrumb

'09 John Deere Snow-Mower SM440
'96 Lifted Utility Club Car Carryall II
'82 Kawasaki KZ650 CSR
'74 John Deere 300
'72 John Deere 400
'73 John Deere 400
'73 John Deere 600
'79 John Deere Trailfire 340/440
'80 John Deere Sportfire 440
smitfire

Post by smitfire »

thats correct, i will check to see if in iowa they have something like it