Summer Hrs have come to a halt... Whew...

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
River Rat

Summer Hrs have come to a halt... Whew...

Post by River Rat »

Well...Thought I would start with a 77 Liquifire for tear down...Don't you know it,,I find the strangest things....Here is the Model number..J34FC.. 070647M.. 08/76) (yep..There is no C that I could find) Has a transplanted 440 motor..Doesnt have any heat exchangers in the tunnel,,,Never had any,,just the plastic tunnel protectors..Has just the small front of the tunnel exchanger,,appears to have been there since the beginning.. Any Ideas what this was born from.??? Thanks guys.. :canada: :popcorn: Frankie
JDT

Re: Summer Hrs have come to a halt... Whew...

Post by JDT »

Frankie the three pictures that you intended to attach to your post did not appear. :whistle:
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
Matt

Post by Matt »

J34F is a Cyclone 340. The last letter is the year, so that doesn't make sense (C is '74).
:usa: Matt - JDsleds.com Administrator
JDXspec

Post by JDXspec »

I have seen a couple 77 340 cyclones with the model j34FC. I think it was just a mistake on 340 cyclones that yr
Own 74 295/s, 75 340/S, 800, 76 440 Liquifire, 300, Liquidator (3), 78 440 Liquifire, 340 Liquifire CC, 80 Liquifire, 82 Trailfire LX, 83 Sprintfire 84 Sportfire
River Rat

Post by River Rat »

Todd..The three pics are visible on my end,,must be your computer.. :lol22: .. The front heat exchanger appears to be factory installed,but it is of the ribbed design..Wasn't the early liquifires smooth.?? has the 77 skid under it with the half cleat track... :bonk: Someone need a very nice track.?? :canada: :popcorn: Frankie
JDXspec

Post by JDXspec »

I can't see the pictures either. 78 exchangers are ribbed, the later 80s exchangers were smooth.
Own 74 295/s, 75 340/S, 800, 76 440 Liquifire, 300, Liquidator (3), 78 440 Liquifire, 340 Liquifire CC, 80 Liquifire, 82 Trailfire LX, 83 Sprintfire 84 Sportfire
400brian

Post by 400brian »

Rainville will have to comment on this. Frankie ( good to have you back! ) Do you see any evidence of race mods? I'm thinking that the racers were running the bulkhead exchangers in '77. The reason I think that, is that I've heard a story that Jon Carlson was leading a race that year, and burned the engine down because the finned exchanger filled with mud and stopped cooling. The fix was for '78, they put an exchanger AND a radiator on.

If I've got my stories mixed up, no doubt someone will correct me.

Anything else strange ( on the sled ) Frankie?

'09 Vintage Challenge Survivor, and I wasn't late for supper!
'10, '11, '12, '13,'14,'15,'16,'17, '18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Vintage Challenge Survivor !
72 400 restored, Father bought new in '71
73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'74 X8 9 time VC finisher
'78 Spitfire in progress
2 '75 340S 1 running, one on deck
'78 LF 440 future CC clone
'73 Skiroule RTX 440, 500 mi.
WinnipegStPaul9

Post by WinnipegStPaul9 »

I don't see any pictures.

DA
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
JDT

Post by JDT »

DA wants pictures Frankie.
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
Sledder

Post by Sledder »

Hey guys. I can take a few photos of this sled tomorrow. I am running over to Frankie's around 10am to pick up a couple more sleds from him.

Does anyone want a mug shot of Frankie?

Scott
JDT

Post by JDT »

Scott I saw one last week at the post office.
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
River Rat

Post by River Rat »

DA..I never seen anything else unusual about the sled except that the suspension was greased and all shafts are free and good wheels.. I found that a bit odd.. :lol22: Scotty was here today and took some pics..I never have figured out how to post my pics here..I will have scotty show me someday when i have more time..I spent the morning with a shovel digging up my septic system..Plugged..Had a guy come pump and roto-rooter it out..Never been pumped since new 1979..I'd say I did pretty good... Too damn old to be digging my yard up by hand... :lol22: Scotty will post the pics I'm sure.. :canada: :popcorn: Frankie
Sledder

Post by Sledder »

Here is a snapshot of the sled Frankie was talking about.

Yea, my Dad and I pulled into Frankie's driveway and sure enough he was out in his front lawn pumping out his sewer with a big ole tractor. Frankie, you must have had way too much to eat for Thanksgiving.
I wish I could have got a picture of Frankie holding the shovel or maybe the shovel was holding Frankie up.

Thank you Frankie for the great visit today. You sure got my Dad hooked on John Deere sleds, Wow. It brings back all the good old memories of when he bought his first X8 & 300 sleds in '74. It's great to have some father and son time tinkering around on old John Deere sleds.

Scott
Attachments
Frankie's sled.jpg
Frankie's sled.jpg (47.09 KiB) Viewed 907 times
JDT

Post by JDT »

That "C" looks suspicious.
Tilted and slighty smaller.

Must mean something though.
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
JoeRainville

Mystery Machine...

Post by JoeRainville »

Hi Guys,

The serial number shows it's a 77 tunnel, as it's above 70,000. You can tell the sled was repainted by the overspray on the serial tag, and you can see the mean green paint around the suspension mounting hole and where the paint is chipped in the lower right of the pic.

The parts book shows that the 77 Cyclones should be "J34FF" for the 340cc or "J44FF" for the 440's. However, the "Ultimate Liquifire" custom sled was built on a 77 440 Cyclone chassis, and also has the "FC" stamping: J44FC. I am guessing it's a documentation error, but I will get a look at another 77 340 Cyclone shortly.

So, given the data presented, my guess is that someone tried to make a 77 Cyclone 340 into a Liquifire by bolting on the early 78 style bulkhead heat exchanger. As to 'who' did that, I have no idea...

-Rainville
Attachments
Ult LF Serial Tag.jpg
Ult LF Serial Tag.jpg (120.11 KiB) Viewed 883 times
Honorary Tech Editor

Chuck Norris doesn't get frost bite. He bites the frost.