Countdown to the 2010 ride, how about some build updates

kwc

Countdown to the 2010 ride, how about some build updates

Post by kwc »

According to the calendar we have 76 days to go before the 2010 Vintage Challenge. I have made good progress this week on the 800 and I was wondering how you guys are coming along. Any build updates?

Here is the friendly countdown clock reminder.....02/20/2010 will be here before we know it!

http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/cus ... ec=&p0=159

Maiden voyage on the lawn today.

Last edited by kwc on Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kevin Campbell
Vicksburg, Michigan
WinnipegStPaul9

Re: Countdown to the 2010 ride, how about some build updates

Post by WinnipegStPaul9 »

Oh, it's nice I guess but I see several items under the hood that could use the same treatment as the rear grab bars!! :dance:
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
JDGuy

Post by JDGuy »

Great work Kevin, it looks too good to punish on the Challenge Ride, even without the DA chrome treatments, lol. Got the LF & Cat started and burning off fogging oil. New water pump seal in the Cat, that took a day of wrenching. A few minor issues on both yet to go. Sleds will be ready, the real question is will the old LF rider be up to running with you young guys another year and can my son make it again?

Last year at the Challenge was the first year that my son and I had rode together for a couple or more years. We had a great time! Again Kevin, it is looking great. By the way, the first sled I purchased was an 800. Sold it a year later for a much slower 440 Cyclone. The 800 moves out, leastwise before the JD updates (CDI, lower compression heads, etc.).
Attachments
DSC00550.JPG
DSC00550.JPG (147.65 KiB) Viewed 3575 times
kwc

Post by kwc »

Thank you, I appreciate the compliments. Don, that is why I like building the mid-mount sleds, nobody sees the engine after the cowl goes on! Besides, the new chrome on the grab bars blew up my budget on tis build.

Guy, one of the two sleds used to build this machine had not received the CDI update and I almost stuck with the points. I didn't know there was a big performance difference when Deere updated them....I might have to change back before the HOF ride.

Your Cat and Liquifire are looking good, I bet that you and your Deere are up for another Vintage Challenge!!

Kevin Campbell
Vicksburg, Michigan
JDT

Post by JDT »

So your 800 will be the first boggie machine on the Challange?

Looks really good!!
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
Matt

Post by Matt »

Kevin, That 800 looks incredible. Stunning. A masterpiece. The way I understand it, that engine had fouling issues before they did the CDI update, so I think switching is a good idea if you have a good stator.

I'm running the Sportfire again this year. The suspension is getting some attention now, as I never did last year and it had some issues.
:usa: Matt - JDsleds.com Administrator
JDT

Post by JDT »

Is that 440 tunnel decal from a 78?
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
kwc

Post by kwc »

Matt - thank you very much, I am happy the way it has turned out so far. Rainville really helped me out with the NOS bumper and hood. The Amber boys helped out by getting the rear bars over to their local chrome guy in Ft Wayne. Mark up at AFE Graphics made the high quality decals.

Todd - I think there might have been a one or two bogie wheel machines on last years ride, so I don't think I will be the first. The 440 tunnel decal was made to look like the 75 JDX8, only I had AFE Graphics make it in yellow. I am not sure if these will stay on the sled or not....definately not correct for the sled, but I was trying to jazz it up just a bit.

Thanks again guys.
Kevin Campbell
Vicksburg, Michigan
JDT

Post by JDT »

I think the 440 decal looks good!
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
400brian

Post by 400brian »

I think Campbell will be the first to do the VC on bogies.
We've had bogie sleds on the Ride with the Champs, but I think not on the VC.
I 'm pretty sure I had the oldest sled on the ride, all sliders.

I also think that compared to my X8, there's little difference on a groomed trail as far as suspension. On an icy trail, the slides have the advantage of more ski pressure I think, and thus better control. Otherwise, your hinder will get the same beating.

'09 Vintage Challenge Survivor, and I wasn't late for supper!
'10, '11, '12, '13,'14,'15,'16,'17, '18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Vintage Challenge Survivor !
72 400 restored, Father bought new in '71
73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'74 X8 9 time VC finisher
'78 Spitfire in progress
2 '75 340S 1 running, one on deck
'78 LF 440 future CC clone
'73 Skiroule RTX 440, 500 mi.
JoeRainville

Post by JoeRainville »

Campbell,

That sled looks great. Nice to see that NOS hood and bumper going to good use. I agree with the guys, the 440 decal looks kind of cool the more I look at it. You know last year when I said you were a wuss for not riding a bogie sled, I was sort of kidding, LOL!

Nice job,
-Rainville
Honorary Tech Editor

Chuck Norris doesn't get frost bite. He bites the frost.
Eric Bergstrom

Post by Eric Bergstrom »

I'm going north tomorrow to get a few hours in on my sled with Mr. Rowland. There will be some pictures making their way onto this thread showing the fruits of our labor... that is if I won't be barred from the site for showing images of lime green sleds. :dance: Only a couple more months until Round 2!
Eric Bergstrom

Post by Eric Bergstrom »

Well, I don't have any pictures, but this seems like a good time to share an update and see if anyone else out there is thinking Vintage Challenge yet. I can understand all the excitement about Waconia with JD being the feature (I'm excited for that too), but I'd be lying if I said that weaving through the woods north of St. Germain doesn't sound awesome right now!

So here's some of the progress Tom and I have made in the last month or so on my El Tigre. The skid frame, idler bearings, and drive bearings have been gone through. My NEW fuel pump is installed. My snorkel for my air intake (that was so kindly returned to me after I left it in the support truck last year) is back in place. New gas lines have been installed. Clutching setup is underway, but not quite finished yet. A new speedometer drive has been swapped in to replace the one that locked up last year. I swapped out my yellowed headlight for a cleaner, whiter one. One new ski and two new carbides have been installed, along with a rubber track. Sorry to all the purists out there, but the cleated track did not leave me feeling too safe as I was wiping the icy corners clean in northern Wisconsin last year, and I don't feel right about subjecting my tunnel/seat to studs when I weigh around 250 lbs.

In the near future, we'll be adding a new (to me) y-pipe to replace my welded up one, an NOS, Arctic Cat rear fuel tank, and maybe some new brake pucks. Then it's go time! We already went on a couple 5 to 10 mile test rides to get a feel for where the sled is, and I am certain a few longer test runs will follow as soon as Tom and I have coinciding days off.

Now that I said I had no photos, here's a picture or two of our first vintage excursion of the year. Tom is riding his '82 here.
Tom Rowland

Post by Tom Rowland »

I got some things done on my Vintage Challange sled in the last few days....have replaced my "2009-ride-ending" failed water pump with a nice fresh nos one... one new coolent hose that was suspect...and, installed the original temperature gauge back in the console. Looking forward to a few more hours spent on this and then some trail time to confirm all is well. Anyone else doing anything on their rides?
DeereFan 77

Post by DeereFan 77 »

Tom,

Cat is looking good!

I'm getting my herd of clunkers around. Got the SRX just about ready. With a lot of help from KWC on some paint, the hood is ready and just installed the new seat. Heading back up to the UP in a couple of weeks for some more tuning changes.

Pic of Kevin's 800 on it's maden voyage in real snow.

My brother is going to be joining Kevin and I this year, so I had to pull together another sled for him. He can't decide if he's going to run "Helen" (Don Amber's alter ego) a 79 Exciter or the 77 Liquifire.

Can't wait to see everyone again this year.

Ross
PC310307 ds.JPG
PC310307 ds.JPG (70.56 KiB) Viewed 3544 times
Attachments
PB270278 ds.JPG
PB270278 ds.JPG (91.77 KiB) Viewed 3544 times
PC210293 ds.JPG
PC210293 ds.JPG (52.47 KiB) Viewed 3544 times