1978 Liquifire 340
1980 Liquifire 440 CC Racer
1980 Liquifire 440
1982 Liquifire 440

"Gotta Lick It Before You Stick It"
AirborneX4Special

Re: IFS DEERE AT WACONIA

Post by AirborneX4Special »

That steel thing must be the oil tank. The top shows evidence of dirty oil residue and the plastic tank is awol.

The IFS setup looks very similar to the Yamaha Phazer II, except for the bar setup between the shock towers and the adjustable damping.
DeereKid9

Post by DeereKid9 »

It is the oil tank. Couldn't see why they put it there, but it was.
Always remember-Any parts leftover is money in your pocket.
1976 Liquidator - I 500 raced by Jim Zimmer
1980 Spitfire
1982 Liquifire-Last sled my son helped me work on. He did most of the motor work.
1984 Trailfire
2007 Ski Doo GSX 500SS
Danzig

Post by Danzig »

Where do you see the adjustable dampening controls? I dont see a shock spring pre-load adjuster..
1973 JDX8
1978 Liquifire 340
1980 Liquifire 440
1982 Liquifire 440

ChickenRat

Post by ChickenRat »

Yes, oil tank & EGT's. Also of note, the "low oil" light on the dash panel.

Robb
Danzig

Post by Danzig »

Was anyone standing close by to ask questions too? Did any of the engineers pick over the sled and point out key points of interest?
1973 JDX8
1978 Liquifire 340
1980 Liquifire 440
1982 Liquifire 440

guitardude081

Post by guitardude081 »

For those who weren't there, here's my take:
Some things that many viewing pics may have missed were the low oil light on the dash, the belt guard and the track. Some think that the bulkhead looked like it may have been altered as well. The gauges were the same but it utilized a Sprintfire dimmer switch. Yes, that black tank is for oil and those were EGT probes. My thought is that with the different pipe, exhaust temp needed to be monitored in the early stages of the R &D process so no burn downs occurred.

The front suspension would have been truly revolutionary. It is similar to yamaha's Pogo-strut T.S.S. suspension but, it looks like to works better. Rainville can elaborate on how it works because he described it to me very well. The skid was a long travel skid utilizing a front coil-over shock and a "Sprintfiresque" rear arm. The track is a Yokohama but is different from the ones used on the rigid liquifires. The oil tank location is in my opinion a good fit because the belt guard is now easily removed. If you were to look closely at everything, there was a lot of rough fabrication but, the front suspension was obviously well tested because it looked refined and contained grease zirks and many of the parts were clean cut. From the looks of it this would have changed the game for Deere. This sled looks like it would take the already unbeatable (in 1982) handling characteristics of this somewhat obsolete sled and made them even better. It's a shame that the IFS sleds never came to be because in this day and age the industry needs a quality product and a company like JD. That sled belongs in a museum to showcase a rare perspective--the R&D portion of the making of a sled. It also showcases the early days of consumer available IFS and just one more brand's idea of the perfect suspension. The early 80's were a time for change and it's always fun to see what ideas were floating around at the time. Personally I'd love to take it for a spin. If the body styling of the Liquifire would have changed with the suspension, this sled may well have carried Deere clear into the 90's and kept them in contention with the big 4. I can remember people talking about an IFS sled back when Joe and Matt first merged and created a forum. I'm glad to say that at long last, the "Wildfire" has been unveiled....and it needs a bath.
~Jack
Last edited by guitardude081 on Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Owner, Durand Motorsports
1980 Trailfire 340 (Grandpa bought new)
1983 Trailfire LX
1982 Spitfire (Grandpa bought new)
(3)1974 295/S
1975 340/S
(2) 1978 Liquifire
2003 Ski Doo Renegade 600HO
1993 Polaris XLT Special with AAEN pipes
2020 Polaris Indy 600 XC 129 40th Anniversary Edition
1980 Liquifire (currently in pieces)
Matt

Post by Matt »

I'm sure getting the sled away from Polaris would make for a lot of red tape. Selling a prototype is a big liability issue. That's why a lot of them get destroyed.
:usa: Matt - JDsleds.com Administrator
Danzig

Post by Danzig »

Schaaaawing!!
1973 JDX8
1978 Liquifire 340
1980 Liquifire 440
1982 Liquifire 440

mikehjd

Post by mikehjd »

Did anyone find out if the twin to this one and the other sled with the 550 are still around? How did they get polaris to bring this sled out after so many years in hiding?
dap574

Post by dap574 »

That was sooo close to keeping JD sleds around for 30 years!! Great pics. Dave
AirborneX4Special

Post by AirborneX4Special »

I see what looks to be an adjustment mechanism on the shock tower. There are slots around the perimeter of the shock assembly at the top not unlike what appeared on more modern suspension setups or individual shock absorbers. I can't tell how it is adjusted, but it would seem that it turns to accomodate different calibrations.
EL DIABLO

Post by EL DIABLO »

I would love to get my hands on that!! What a beautiful sight, and I am glad that it was never given to a snowmobile grave-yard
1984 Sportfire..Work in Progress!
WinnipegStPaul9

Post by WinnipegStPaul9 »

mikehjd wrote:Did anyone find out if the twin to this one and the other sled with the 550 are still around? How did they get polaris to bring this sled out after so many years in hiding?
After unloading the sled and bringing it into the ballroom I had a little time to talk with Wayne (Lee?, I'm terrible with names) one of the three brothers that brought it from Roseau. He seemed very, very honest with me and told me that he was not aware of there being anymore of the prototypes left, only this one. I had no reason to doubt him. Why wouldn't they bring the other two or three or ? if they existed? I for one truly appreciate Polaris for seeing that this sled got to Waconia. I don't know who got the ball rolling (I'm certain Larry Preston was one) but THANK YOU!

That said, my emotions at the time of seeing the IFS sled were mixed. Which is better? Seeing the real thing, or wondering if the "Wildfire" still existed????? The myth is now reality!!

DA
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
Sledshack

Post by Sledshack »

Very cool to see that it actually exists. I wish I could have made it to Waconia to see it in person.

It's interesting that the sled has 2056 miles on the odo...I'd be more than happy to make it 2057 :wink:
Spending All My Green Stuff on Green Stuff