Deep Snow Kit

Technical topics related to machines powered by Kasasaki motors
Danzig

Deep Snow Kit

Post by Danzig »

Has anyone fabbed there own Deep Snow Kit for the 80 Liquifire?

Seems to me reading up on this after searching, that the Sport and Trailfire rear arm can be used due to it being longer ?

How about the original shock from the 80 Liquifire ?

I do see where you have to move the rear mounting hole forward in the tunnel.
1973 JDX8
1978 Liquifire 340
1980 Liquifire 440 CC Racer
1980 Liquifire 440
1982 Liquifire 440

"Gotta Lick It Before You Stick It"
427cobra

Re: Deep Snow Kit

Post by 427cobra »

Its my understanding that you have to drill the forward hole in the rear tunnel bracket.

I tried putting a 82" Sportfire arm in a 83' LF and it did not fit.

You should give it a try...it may be a cool improvement!
Eric A.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid" - John Wayne
Kulture Vulture

Post by Kulture Vulture »

I have a new in box deep snow kit. The shock was not a stock LF shock, but I don`t have it here with me for the part number. I think the SF arm with tabs welded on works. There was a thread about it last winter on here that had pictures with it, where someone fabbed up the rear arm. Also according to the directions, the hole is two inches forward of the original holes. It states to remove original rivets, and move the plate forward with it. Hope that might help.
discus

Post by discus »

I made up a kit for my 4/6 Liquisport last winter. I used a 1981 Sportfire arm and welded on the idler wheel tabs. You need the longer Trail or Sportfire shock because the arm mounts 2" further ahead the the Liquifire arm. The problem I had was the shock mounting tabs contacted the track drive lugs and would have ripped them to shreds if I would have run it that way. I looked at my stock Liquifire and even it had some light damage to the lugs from contact with the shock mount, even with the hoop welded on it for the track to ride on. I ended up doubling the length of the idler wheel tabs to get the track to have enough clearance. I'm not sure how it ever worked straight from Deere but from everything I saw, this is what they did. I'm guessing it just tore up the lugs on the few Liquifires that actually had them installed and no one ever noticed.

Dale
Danzig

Post by Danzig »

Kulture Vulture wrote:I have a new in box deep snow kit. The shock was not a stock LF shock, but I don`t have it here with me for the part number. I think the SF arm with tabs welded on works. There was a thread about it last winter on here that had pictures with it, where someone fabbed up the rear arm. Also according to the directions, the hole is two inches forward of the original holes. It states to remove original rivets, and move the plate forward with it. Hope that might help.
Would you be willing to get me some dimensions ?
1973 JDX8
1978 Liquifire 340
1980 Liquifire 440
1982 Liquifire 440

discus

Post by discus »

Sorry, the sled is packed away in storage offsite. I just welded the tabs (pieces of flatstock)on the stock Sportfire arm, the same distance as they were on the Liquifire arm, then ended up lengthening them about 3/4" so the idlers pushed the track up a little higher. I looked at pictures of a NOS Deep Snow Kit , and it is just a stock early 80"s Sportfire arm with the tabs. Maybe an arm from a 83 Sport would work better, but I"m unsure if you will have the same problem with clearance as I did. I think the 83 arm has the Liquifire style upper shock mount with the welded hoop. I was wondering last season if Deere maybe had a later version of the kit since the early arm surely caused track damage.

Hope this helps

Dale
Matt

Post by Matt »

Dale,
I think the '83 Sportfire arm was the same as the earlier ones. Mine didn't have the original to prove it, but it does have a track with torn up center drive lugs. Someone had welded new tabs on the arm a little farther down, and installed larger wheels, which didn't really help the problem since the wheels were farther down anyway. That arm was pretty bent, so got a used arm from a parts machine and a new set of the correct size wheels. And yes it does seem like the track lugs rub on the shock mount.

I was thinking about the tunnel mounted wheels that were on some models, and was wondering if these could be run with the rubber track to get it farther away from the suspension.
:usa: Matt - JDsleds.com Administrator
discus

Post by discus »

I thought about using the Sportfire upper idler wheels and shaft. I wasn't sure about it on the rubber track since the Liquifire had them in the center on the arm. The sled I built last season infact had a cleated track with those wheels and shaft installed it when I got it. I installed a rubber track and it didn't seem to me like it would have been long enough to go up that high, if indeed the holes in that tunnel were drllied in the correct spot. I 'm not sure because someone drilled them because it was a Liquifire tunnel.

Dale
Kulture Vulture

Paul, I can definately help you out. Im only about fifteen minutes away. (Varna) P.M. sent.
427cobra

Post by 427cobra »

I think NEW rear springs help A LOT too.

Has anyone figured out where to find these? I know they used to remanufacture them..??

Stebner used to sell them... :popcorn:
Eric A.

Danzig

Post by Danzig »

Kulture Vulture wrote:Paul, I can definately help you out. Im only about fifteen minutes away. (Varna) P.M. sent.

Never got a PM... :bonk:

I know some folks down in Varna..

Mike Lansing and Steve Justice and the Janet Marshal
1973 JDX8
1978 Liquifire 340
1980 Liquifire 440
1982 Liquifire 440

Danzig

Post by Danzig »

427cobra wrote:I think NEW rear springs help A LOT too.

Has anyone figured out where to find these? I know they used to remanufacture them..??

Stebner used to sell them... :popcorn:
I have one brand new rear spring, it was purchased at Central snowmobile..they are out of them
1973 JDX8
1978 Liquifire 340
1980 Liquifire 440
1982 Liquifire 440

Kulture Vulture

My pm thing wont work Paul. Ron and Ken Taylor are my first cousins, and you use to be my supervisor! (309)-aim-high leave a message, and I`ll help you out! -Derek
427cobra

Post by 427cobra »

Well there goes your help Paul.... :wall: :wall:
Eric A.

Danzig

Post by Danzig »

sweet....you have a new name on here Derek..

by the way....I am no longer working there either... :bonk: :beers;
1973 JDX8
1978 Liquifire 340
1980 Liquifire 440
1982 Liquifire 440