My introduction and my recent find; '76 Liquifire 440

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
thevintagesnowmobile

My introduction and my recent find; '76 Liquifire 440

Post by thevintagesnowmobile »

Hey guys,
A brief background of myself and my love for JD sleds. ... I'm a new member of this forum, however I've been a visiting here for a long time. Back in high school (2002) I found a '73 John Deere 400 sled buried under a bunch of junk in a barn at a farm I worked on. My boss gave it to me. My friends and I cleaned it up and got it running. I really enjoyed tinkering with it and cruising it around our rural community. My friends and I all had nice new sleds but we found ourselves playing around on the vintage sleds as much or more than our newer sleds. At the time I didn't appreciate the vintage JD as much as I do now so I rode it too hard and abused it until it was basically a piece of scrap metal. When I moved out my dad took the old JD to the dump.

Recently I've gotten the itch to start collecting and tinkering with some vintage toys again. I picked up a couple of 3-wheelers and a Honda CT70 that I am in the middle of restoring. I have been keeping my eye out in our local classifieds hoping to find another John Deere snowmobile that I can fix up and actually take care of this time:) Here's what I found for $300:

A one owner '76 Liquifire 440 in very good condition. This guy bought it new and rode it for 10-15 years and then parked it in his barn covered up until now. It shows 1400 miles. So far I've only found a few minor things wrong with it (besides needing a good cleaning). The choke lever was broken, the seat doesn't stay on because the wood strips on bottom are rotten, and there are a couple small cracks in the seat cover on the back. There are also a few misc thing's that are aged that I'd like to replace.

I took the carbs apart and cleaned them out, replaced the fuel lines, got a new choke lever, and replaced the spark plugs. I also dropped the seat off to have the wood strips replaced and to have the back reupholstered. I just finished putting the carbs and stuff back together this morning and it fired right up. I can't believe how good it sounds and runs! I was really surprised at how much power this old sled actually has. I am so excited about my new sled!!! My wife is tired of me talking about it and spending all my free time online reading up on these vintage JDs.

This picture was taken the night I brought it home. After I wash it up and get the seat back I'll take more pics to show y'all the progress. I don't plan to completely restore it to perfect condition but I'd like to at least replace any parts that are missing and get it as nice as I can without spending a bunch of money. Also I don't know much about this particular model. Is there anything they are notorious for that I should watch out for? I hope I made a good purchase with this one. Thanks for looking!
Spence
1976 JD Liquifire 440
ICCSF 108

Re: My introduction and my recent find; '76 Liquifire 440

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Spence from what I see it looks to be in darn good shape, Ck all bearings on drive train & slide wheels, ck drive chain for cracked or broken links, ck chain tightener for excessive wear, add new oil to chain case, ck track for cracks or bad cleats, engine seals could be bad, ( all the above mostly from age & setting not miles ) Make sure temp gauge works. It's a good Idea to let engine warm up to Operating temp before WOT running..
Not sure IF you did this or not but it's a good Idea to add a fuel filter to the fuel lines between the fuel pump & the carbs..
Kenny
AKA: Kenny, Grumpy, Mr. Richard Head
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
Do Anti-War Protesters have reunions? If so what do they TALK about?
AirborneX4Special

Post by AirborneX4Special »

Well preserved indeed. Good thing it was kept inside. Kenny is right about going through all the mechanicals before you ride it, especially those engine seals after all that time sitting. Ditto the warm up. You can do whatever you want after the thermostat opens.
atomc40

Post by atomc40 »

Spence, :welcome: It was nice talking to ya on the phone the other day. Hope that this forum can answer all your questions and help you find any parts that you'll need. The vintage JD thing is a good time. :sled: I looked up the Parts Unlimited # for the "passenger handles" that you asked me about, it's 13-250. That's out of an older book,but I believe it's still a good #. Good Luck! :usa: Tom
HOUSE RULES

"New Stuff" belongs to wife
"Old Stuff" belongs to husband
"Old Stuff" will be sold to buy "New Stuff" at wifes discretion
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Spence, another thing I forgot to mention is going through the suspension arms making sure all the shafts are loose & lubed with some kind of low temp waterproof grease..

Kenny
AKA: Kenny, Grumpy, Mr. Richard Head
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
Do Anti-War Protesters have reunions? If so what do they TALK about?
thevintagesnowmobile

atomc40 wrote:Spence, :welcome: It was nice talking to ya on the phone the other day. Hope that this forum can answer all your questions and help you find any parts that you'll need. The vintage JD thing is a good time. :sled: I looked up the Parts Unlimited # for the "passenger handles" that you asked me about, it's 13-250. That's out of an older book,but I believe it's still a good #. Good Luck! :usa: Tom
Yeah thanks a lot for the info you gave me over the phone. I was able to find those passenger handles and got a pair of them ordered.
Spence
1976 JD Liquifire 440
thevintagesnowmobile

ICCSF 108 wrote:Spence, another thing I forgot to mention is going through the suspension arms making sure all the shafts are loose & lubed with some kind of low temp waterproof grease..

Kenny
Hey thanks a lot for all the info. I will be sure to check everything you've mentioned.
Spence
1976 JD Liquifire 440