picked up a liquifire today

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
3JDTIM

picked up a liquifire today

Post by 3JDTIM »

i picked a liquifire today. i cant read the date but serial number starts with 19 then cant read the rest. never had a liquifire just spits and trails. can anybody give me any info on this sled. i doin a complete fuel system clean out with new lines carb cleaning. i know nothing about so any help please. cant wait to get this thing fired up
ICCSF 108

Re: picked up a liquifire today

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Your starting out right by cleaning the Whole fuel system, I'm assuming that includes the tank, ( I like to install 3 fuel filters in the lines 1 before the fuel pump, & 1 in the line to ea. carb, this of course is my own preference as it doesn't take much to screw up a carb) make sure you replace the line inside the fuel tank also. I can't stress this enough CLEAN the carbs, Clean the carbs, Clean the carbs, even though you think you have them clean the first time they STILL might not be clean & you WILL have operating problems if this is true. IF the pilot jets are plugged through them & purchase new as they are really hard to clean out. make sure you blow air or carb cleaner through all the small orifices on the front side of the carbs, IF your not purchasing new choke plungers ( I would suggest you would ) make sure you don't get them mixed up keep in the same carb..
Inspect the Drive clutch thoroughly to make sure there is no excessive wear, cracked or broken parts.
Depending on how extensive a job you want to do or how reliable you want this sled to be this winter, then all drive bearings & wheels should be cked also..
IF you let me know what size the engine is I can tell you what Jets Deere shipped the sled with in the carbs.. also I need to know what alt. your at.
Kenny
AKA: Kenny, Grumpy, Mr. Richard Head
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
Do Anti-War Protesters have reunions? If so what do they TALK about?
3JDTIM

Post by 3JDTIM »

its a 440
AirborneX4Special

Post by AirborneX4Special »

If the serial starts with 19 it indicates the 190001 serial break, which means it's an 82.

Pictures, please..... :popcorn:
fordmtrsp

Post by fordmtrsp »

did you get it off des moines craigslist?
3JDTIM

Post by 3JDTIM »

yea it was listed as a 1986 but knew that was wrong
3JDTIM

Post by 3JDTIM »

cant put pics up says file too big
GenIILiq

Post by GenIILiq »

What's the best place to buy new choke plungers and the little springs that slide on the cable first (80-84 liquifire)? Parts Unlimited? Do you have a part number? Thanks. Jason
'84 Liquifire
'81 Liquifire
'80 Liquifire
'82 Spitfire
nick80lf

Post by nick80lf »

I've bought the complete cable conversion kit from Pats
http://www.psep.biz/store/mikuni_carburetor_part.htm

Part #PUVMCK

My local Cat dealer wants $5 each for just the plunger.
80 Liquifire (purchased 1996 ~ Running)
80 Liquifire (purchased 2010 ~ Running....Now)
80 Liquifire (purchased 2011 ~ Not running - I officially have a problem now)
83 Snowfire (purchased 2014 father/son restoration project)
78 Spitfire ~ sold (should have been shot for this)
3JDTIM

Post by 3JDTIM »

ok after reading many post about sleds that sat for awhile i think crank seals and gaskets would be a good idea anybody know a good place that sells all of them in a kit?
3JDTIM

Post by 3JDTIM »

ok i got liquifire to fire up today WOW ive never rode a 440 before. i would say this sled very fast for it age. starts off a bit slow but mid range on up it comes to life maybe drive belt worn?
jdrob

Post by jdrob »

3jdtim first off is the primary clutch a comet or a tr800 ?? if it is a comet the common belt for those are a 1107 dayco or lemans brand.. If it is a tr800 clutch they take a wider belt !! i cant remember the number off the top of my head!! Also a small tip just make sure both clutches are well lubricated !! I always lift the back of my sleds up and run them while spraying WD40 on both primary and secondary !!! I know some guys use graphite on theirs but i don't care for it !! :sled:
Jdrob

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." AE