Glasses getting fogged up

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
JoeRainville

Re: Glasses getting fogged up

Post by JoeRainville »

Chuck,

I fought this on the snocross tracks too. I ended up racing w/o my glasses since I could still squint to get 20/20 vision. Looking at breath deflectors for this race, but I have no data yet...

-Joe
Honorary Tech Editor

Chuck Norris doesn't get frost bite. He bites the frost.
SKNOWCAT

Post by SKNOWCAT »

See Chuck, I was just trying to be helpful. Even Mr. Rainbird suggests removing the problem. After watching some of those boys race you'll swear a good share of em have vision problems. I can't argue with the knucklehead designation however. I've been called much worse and rarely have a good defense. Happy trails and good luck in the 500. I give you props. By the way if it looks like you're about to hit something during the race I suggest you try to hit where my signature is, the value of that hood will skyrocket with that gone.
Steve T.
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Chuck, I found something better than Duct Tape today, ( at least that is what they called it ) I'll call you tomorrow.

Kenny
AKA: Kenny, Grumpy, Mr. Richard Head
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
Do Anti-War Protesters have reunions? If so what do they TALK about?
kenwaters

Post by kenwaters »

Chuck,

I don't have glasses and haven't tested the duct tape method yet, but even with a breath deflector a heated shied will fog. (I could imagine glasses are much wose) I think the addition of duct tape under a breath deflector will make a good seal on the face and keep your breath away from your glasses.

Kenny,

I am interested in what you are talking about too.

Thanks,
Kenny Waters(boy)
Rochester, NY

Mechanic for founding VDR teammate JDJR
Opinions are worthless...Education is priceless
Aspiring to be the Charlie Daniels of the torque wrench

'74 X-6
'75 X-8
'75 340S
'77 340 Liquifire
'78 440 Liquifire
'80 Spitfire
'80 Liquifire (completed VC and sometimes raced)
'81 Liquifire (bib #212f Red Lake Vintage CC Sled)
'82 Liquifire
'83 Liquifire
'83 Sprintfire (1 runner +2 parts sleds)
'96 Indy Storm (hated by JDJR and Thundercats)
Eric Bergstrom

Post by Eric Bergstrom »

I have been told by a guy I really trust (former Team Arctic racer) that the no-fog mask under a snow cross style helmet and goggles is the undisputed answer. In his words, "you can stand around all day at a standstill and never have to take your goggles/helmet off as long as you're wearing your no-fog."

My old full face helmet started fogging up in the last year or so too. I just got a snow cross helmet for Christmas, so I haven't tried it myself yet... but this guy has more hours (and races) logged on a sled than I could dream of, so I'm taking his word for it.
I500

Post by I500 »

Thanks ... You fellas have been a big help. Stopped over to see my Buddies over at Dennis Kirk and they thru some ideas at me. Many ides were also listed on this thread

Make existing helmet work with duct tape.
Learn to breath from the mouth
Heated lens.
Sno-cross style helmet with good breath deflecter.
Ride backwards. <sorry ,that was to funny not to re-post>

Time to experiment. Going to get cold next week.... :sled:
Matt

Post by Matt »

I have a heated lens here that I never bothered to install the wire for. Has anyone tried them?
:usa: Matt - JDsleds.com Administrator
dator

Post by dator »

I raced with glasses my whole career, the ony way i could keep from fogging was to use duct tape, then if it was real cold out i would use a no fog mask over the tape. Like Wildfire said you had to learn how to breath properly,thruogh the mouth only and down.If you ever got stuck, that could pose a problem. The heat generated trying to get un stuck, would fog you up bad, until you got moving again to clear things up. Good thing that didn't happen to often.
I still use tape for trail riding if it's cold out, with my Ski-Doo modular or snow cross helmets.

Bob
Norton

Post by Norton »

Chuck,
Like Bob says, the standard 2" duct tape works good when cold. I use it still. Make a tight seal with the first layer just even with the bottom part of the eye socket across the whole front of your face and joining your mask, skin, and tape in the seal. Then additional layers overlaping down till at least the chin. Starting on the second layer, leave one vertical strip sitcky side against sticky side, just over the bridge of your nose and it will act as an air chute directing the air down. I know this hurts to take it off at the end of the day but a little skin is worth having good vision. I have tried medical tape but it really is about the same as duct tape. Oh by the way, 3M makes the best tape but the cost is more. Then you will look more vintage in silver tape too and match the paint on the LF! (-:

kb
I500

Post by I500 »

Ok i did it... I ran the sled hard for a straight 85 miles and had issues on occasion with fogging up a little. It wasnt even that cold with a plus 10 degree temp. So i did what Steve < Snarky> suggested. Got rid of the glasses and went in for contacts. After insurance they were $23. Not a problem and my Doc was a vintage sled guy that set me up good.... I can see. Ya HOO.... Did i mention i did the solid 85 miles non stop. I had much more in me but thats not even close to 170 miles.... This race is going to be brutel for this fat old guy. :brrr:

Did i also mention that i,m really pretty without the glasses. :lol22:
Norton

Post by Norton »

Chuck,
FYI, the race/trail conditions changed again this weekend as we had a very windy weekend with some Interstate Hwy closings due to blowing snow. More of a blizzard 100 miles south of here. As of today, the ditches are rough. Gray drifts (dirt mixed snow) are very hard, and the white ones are still somewhat soft. Go back to the 1976 Deere I-500 movie and watch Brian's last days run to Winnipeg. Right now it would be great to have the modern sleds take the sharp edges off the top of the drifts.

Planning on being in the area Saturday of the race. Need somthing let me know. One part of the course is 45 miles from here. I this past weekend was the Grafton race but no photos posted yet on the web site. Grafton race just on the ND side of where the Red Lake race is run.

keith
JD_Sledder68

Post by JD_Sledder68 »

I also have the HJC helmet with the breath box and vents. I leave the vent open, and wear the turtle fur neck warmer and sometimes a balaclava (if it is really cold and windy out). Most of the time I wear contacts as it is easier putting on and taking off helmet.....but the glasses don't fog hardly at all that way.
Brian Redick
1982 John Deere Trailfire LX 440
1978 John Deere Liquifire 340
427cobra

Post by 427cobra »

I think a modular helmet would work good. My buddy has glasses and really likes his modular helmet. Makes it easy to talk when stopping to look at the map... I really like my modular! Built in sun visor works great.

Also using anti fog wipes or spray will help keep your glasses from fogging. My dad wears glasses and he uses the antifog wipes before we go out and they work.
Eric A.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid" - John Wayne
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Darn, I wanted to Duct Tape you up Chuck, well maybe another time :lol22:

Kenny
AKA: Kenny, Grumpy, Mr. Richard Head
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
Do Anti-War Protesters have reunions? If so what do they TALK about?
JoeRainville

Post by JoeRainville »

Chuck and Guys, thanks for sharing your anti fogging ideas with us. I was thinking that my facial hair and duct tape might not mix well however...

-Rainville
Honorary Tech Editor

Chuck Norris doesn't get frost bite. He bites the frost.