The joys of cross country racing

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
sledcollector

The joys of cross country racing

Post by sledcollector »

Some of you might get a kick out of this story
We made the first USCC race in Grafton Nd this past sunday
For a little background I have two sons racing full season this year,one in semi pro one in sport,both on 600 polaris
Sat morning left the shop for a 450 mile ride to Grafton,with most the roads closed by Fargo we took two lanes most of the way.12 1/2 hours later we made it to grafton.Now is where it gets good.First race of the day oldest son blew a shock,next race 2nd son took 3rd,that was the one good point.After finding a spare shock from Cory Davidson,sleds all back together,next race 2nd son did a end over end flip,still finished but a little sore.Last race of the day my oldest son was back in semi pro race, his lap times would have possible put him in top 3 when a bolt came out of the suspension,im taking the blame on this with no locktite and in a hurry to put the suspension back in.The suspension hit the tunnel cooler lost all coolant and siezed motor with about 2 miles of race to go.First race on a 2011 sled ,ouch there goes some cash.On the way home I opened the window to have a smoke and two checks flew out the window,then about 2 hours from home the altenator stop charging on the pickup.Got the hammer out hit the altenator on the road again,after a 11 hour ride home everone safe.
Still was a blast with the family,getting ready for the next one in Grand forks.
If anyone racing vintage at the 500 needs tools or help we will be there with a semi trailer ,don't be afraid to ask for help.I was going to race a liqufire but with two kids racing I think i will stick to crew.Besides I'll be able to keep the beer cold
I'll be cheering on the Deere's
Hope you guy's enjoy the story,might bring back a few memory's for some
Thanks,Rick
ICCSF 108

Re: The joys of cross country racing

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Great story Rick, it really does bring back very old memories..

Kenny
AKA: Kenny, Grumpy, Mr. Richard Head
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
Do Anti-War Protesters have reunions? If so what do they TALK about?
JRC ETD

Post by JRC ETD »

Total commitment, hope I can meet you and the boys at the 500. I worked along side my son Nik with his 500 Sno-pro starting Xmas day and ending Sunday, we drove 2800 miles to test and tune in Brainard and Trf. My hands are bloody, but both father and son had a week to remember! My Liquifire is very quick, quicker than the 30 year old suspension can handle, racing to your point is always murphys law, and that is our challange. Good luck to you and your family and to all the friends that have helped me the last week, see many of you soon. Be safe, it will be a great but difficult event. Best JRC
WinnipegStPaul9

Post by WinnipegStPaul9 »

Rick, great story and I too can sympathize with you. My drive was always from Indiana so I know the dedication it takes. I can't imagine prepping and racing two sleds....WOW!! You're a good dad.

DA
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
sledcollector

Post by sledcollector »

This is a picture from Grafton,Nd 2011 race
Attachments
Grafton,Nd 2011
Grafton,Nd 2011
img_1744_std.jpg (103.02 KiB) Viewed 763 times
JDT

Post by JDT »

Where did you find slush in ND last week? It was really cold out.
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
WinnipegStPaul9

Post by WinnipegStPaul9 »

Cool Picture!!
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
kenwaters

Post by kenwaters »

Rick,

That is one cool picture! It kind of reminds me of the pictures taken of jets as they break the sound barrier in really humid air. Do your boys have hand warmers on their bars? That windshield doesn't look like it does much of anything except provide prime real-estate for a sponsor sticker! Good luck to the boys, and I hope to meet them at Red Lake.
Kenny Waters(boy)
Rochester, NY

Mechanic for founding VDR teammate JDJR
Opinions are worthless...Education is priceless
Aspiring to be the Charlie Daniels of the torque wrench

'74 X-6
'75 X-8
'75 340S
'77 340 Liquifire
'78 440 Liquifire
'80 Spitfire
'80 Liquifire (completed VC and sometimes raced)
'81 Liquifire (bib #212f Red Lake Vintage CC Sled)
'82 Liquifire
'83 Liquifire
'83 Sprintfire (1 runner +2 parts sleds)
'96 Indy Storm (hated by JDJR and Thundercats)
sledcollector

Post by sledcollector »

Todd
The race was run on about 1/3 river 1/3 woods 1/3 road ditch.There was some open water on the river.That picture was taked from a bridge above the river.Dillan said ya almost had to duck to get under the bridge.
Kenny,
They have wamers and guards,but hands still got cold in morning.I told both of them to wear bigger gloves,but why listen to dad.They both ordered taller windsheids this week.
The temp in the morning was about -10 during the day the sun came out and felt a lot warmer
A lot of racers were changing goggles,as soon as the water hit the goggles it turn to ice.
The shark on the hood finaly got wet, haha
Rick
JoeRainville

Post by JoeRainville »

Hi Rick,

Awsome pic of your son racing. I really never cared for the usless bikini windshields on my snocross or CC sleds either. Unfortunately you can't put a larger shield on the 05 Cat 440's that I raced forever, but the 02 and 09 have decient protection.

I even installed handgards and will might even use the slip covers for my I-500 Liquifire. I hate getting cold hands, and it really bothers me since getting frost bite a few years back due to very thin gloves and -20 temps.

Glad to hear you will be pitting for your boys at the I-500, but sorry to hear you won't be able to join use on your Liquifire. My buddie Tim Kudla is going to race the entire event, so I will be pitting for him on Friday and Sunday.

See you there!
-Joe Rainville
#621 Vintage Deere Racing
Honorary Tech Editor

Chuck Norris doesn't get frost bite. He bites the frost.