82 TF and 80 LF carb woes

Technical topics related to machines powered by Kasasaki motors
sayers

82 TF and 80 LF carb woes

Post by sayers »

Hello, just picked up 2 sleds that were running, but couldn't keep running. Cleaned tanks, new fuel lines, filters, and check valves. All 3 carbs have been tinkered with. The TF vm 34 was missing needle in seat, I ordered a new 1.5 but it doesn't fit. Either carb isn't original or the 34 non PJ need the vm 26/26 needle-seat w/o the clip. The LF carbs have no gaskets on the needle-seat or metal baffle? above it. One of the seats is 1.5, one is 1.2 . The needle jet holder is longer w/ an o-ring on one, the other is shorter w/o a place for o-ring. I can't seem to locate the o-ring online either. 6 in. of snow coming tomorrow grrr, i was hoping to ride the trailfire . thanks Greg
3JDTIM

Re: 82 TF and 80 LF carb woes

Post by 3JDTIM »

pm sent
nick80lf

Post by nick80lf »

No comment on the TF

But the LF

1) Needle and seat gasket ~ Pats small engines plus # ADB3452 $1.25 each (you'll need 4 for both carbs)
http://www.psep.biz/store/mikuni_vm_type_parts.htm

2) The LF origionaly came with the 1.2 these can be hard to find (actually it is hard to find a dealer that will sell them they are listed in the western powersport catalog) but are still made by Mikuni as of 6 months ago.(1.5 will work in a pinch). I would want them to be the same. Also check them with a mityvac to make sure they seal. There are many posts explaning how to do this.

3) Both carbs should be a Power Jet carb. They will have a 1/8" hose from the side of the bowl to a plastic fitting at the inlet of the carb. The main jet on the power jet carb is in the bowl. The "jet setter" (should have an o-ring) and it fits into a hole in the bowl. I'm wondering if one of the carbs is incorrect. Anyhow, here are some part numbers.

Jet setter Mikuni # vm28/53 (this threads into the needle jet and holds it in place)

Jet setter o-ring Mikuni # bv32/04
Arctic Cat # 6505-042 (about $3.00 each)
McMaster Carr # 9464K12 (about $5.00 for 100. I use these now and they are viton)
John Deere # R34812 (about $1.00 each)
80 Liquifire (purchased 1996 ~ Running)
80 Liquifire (purchased 2010 ~ Running....Now)
80 Liquifire (purchased 2011 ~ Not running - I officially have a problem now)
83 Snowfire (purchased 2014 father/son restoration project)
78 Spitfire ~ sold (should have been shot for this)
sayers

Post by sayers »

Anybody know where to buy the jetsetter with the O-ring, Psep.biz and my two local shops had no luck "not applicable". The liquifire was a throw in to the trailfire, i hate to spend a bunch of money on new carbs without knowing how good the rest of it is. It has 125# compression, pistons look good thru sparkplug hole, skis, track, and suspension look good. Needs seat cover and windshield. It is missing the oil injection tank, but when I cleaned the old gas out of the tank it appeared to have a heavy premix in it. With the missing and mismatched pieces in the carb i dont know how it could have run at all. Thanks for any help Greg
nick80lf

Post by nick80lf »

sayers wrote:Anybody know where to buy the jetsetter with the O-ring, Psep.biz and my two local shops had no luck "not applicable". The liquifire was a throw in to the trailfire, i hate to spend a bunch of money on new carbs without knowing how good the rest of it is. It has 125# compression, pistons look good thru sparkplug hole, skis, track, and suspension look good. Needs seat cover and windshield. It is missing the oil injection tank, but when I cleaned the old gas out of the tank it appeared to have a heavy premix in it. With the missing and mismatched pieces in the carb i dont know how it could have run at all. Thanks for any help Greg
I've had good luck with http://www.sudco.com/ for new stuff
or you might be able to find a used one somewhere which would be the cheapest sloution.

Pats does list the o-ring for the jet setter (pats # ADBV3204)
80 Liquifire (purchased 1996 ~ Running)
80 Liquifire (purchased 2010 ~ Running....Now)
80 Liquifire (purchased 2011 ~ Not running - I officially have a problem now)
83 Snowfire (purchased 2014 father/son restoration project)
78 Spitfire ~ sold (should have been shot for this)
Invader440

Post by Invader440 »

Econo Carb Needle Jet Retainer (jet setter): Arctic Cat pn# 6505-044
JDGuy

Post by JDGuy »

For those that may not know: Econo Jet Carb (Kawasaki) = Power Jet Carb (John Deere). Same basic carb body, they were jetted differently, think Kawasaki had a primer system also.
Invader440

Post by Invader440 »

JDGuy wrote:For those that may not know: Econo Jet Carb (Kawasaki) = Power Jet Carb (John Deere). Same basic carb body, they were jetted differently, think Kawasaki had a primer system also.
Yup, the Kawasaki sleds have a primer also.
sayers

Post by sayers »

The Trailfire lives! I disassembled the carb and soaked it overnite, and finally gathered all new jets,gaskets, etc., and set everything to factory specs. Used gas approved gasket maker between intake and new carb flange. All new gas line, clamps , impulse line, and in tank fitting. New oil line and bled pump. New BR8ES plugs gapped to .025 Fresh 93 octane gas with 100:1 premix. Started on 1/2 choke, let it run 30 secs. and idled at 3000 rpm beautifully. Ran it about 20 minutes in 10 deg. weather ran awesome. Was remembering a saying that floats around here about "it runs the best right before it blows" shut it off and both plugs were snow white. Put new plugs in and sprayed starting fluid around carb flange, no change. Air screw 1 and 1/2 turns out, needle in third clip with white washer. Choke set with dash down. What is my next step to get chocolatey brown plugs, I really dont want to burn this thing down. Thanks for all your help
JDT

Post by JDT »

Crank seals?
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD