strange track problem

Technical topics related to machines powered by Kasasaki motors
Kulture Vulture

strange track problem

Post by Kulture Vulture »

Hello all! It`s been awhile! So I recently finished doing a track conversion on my 80 Sprotfire. I installed a really nice liquifire track, suspension, driveshaft, and chaincase. New bearings, and all that good stuff. I also used an 82-84 Sportfire rear swingarm.

Now here is my problem. The track wants to run to one side, on the driveshaft, and at the front of the skid. I tried adjusting the driveshaft, with the small amount there is. Track tension doesn`t seem to have any affect on it. The drive lugs are riding against the hyfax on the right side of the sled. I have tried numerous times to adjust it in the rear, to get the whole track to run right, with no luck. Nothing in the suspension seems bent or anywhere else. I`m stumped! Could it be that one side of the track is streetched more from years of storage with the tension set? :think:
JDT

Re: strange track problem

Post by JDT »

That is very possible.

I assume it was a used track you put on.
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
Kulture Vulture

It was a very nice used track that came from a very low mileage 81 LF. The track definately sat WITH tension set for 25+ years. Do you think that could be the problem, or could there be something else? If I could get my track to run a quarter inch or so to the right, I`ll be in good shape! Has anyone ever had a similar experience?
discus

Post by discus »

I had a similiar problem with the first Liquifire I ever went through. After doing some measuring I discovered the drivers were pressed on the shaft all the same distance about a 1/4" or so too far to the right. They were not centered in the tunnel. Werd but that is the way it was from birth I believe. I could see no signs of it being tampered with. I have seen some other poor assembly practices on other Deere sleds as well that somehow "slipped through".I ended up installing an entire different drive shaft rather than try and push them all over a bit. You should measure the driver distances to the tunnel on each side and make sure they are equal.

~discus
Kulture Vulture

The drivers are fine, the track is running to one side of the drivers as well. I wonder if maybe one of the rear idlers is a bit more worn than the other side?
harleysportster

Post by harleysportster »

Switch the idlers and see if track moves to the other side.
'76 440 cyclone
'76 440 liquifire
'78 440 Cyclone
'75 JDX8 (sold to a member here)
'78 Liquifire(CrossCountry Clone)
'80 Liquifire(sold)
Kulture Vulture

Good idea! I`ll give it a try.