Back from the SHOF RWTC, Feb 2011

About the Snowmobile Hall of Fame's Ride With the Champs event.
400brian

Back from the SHOF RWTC, Feb 2011

Post by 400brian »

Here's a first hand account of the 2011 Snowmobile Hall of Fame's "Ride with the Champs".

This years ride was made problematic by a sudden thaw that started on the Sunday before the event. As the week progressed, the weather report got more and more grim. By mid-week, the north woods area saw temps approaching 60 degrees. That pretty much took care of the snow cover. The temps dropped back below freezing on Friday, but it was kinda too late at that point.

Being the "hard core" sledders that we are, we headed for St Germain.
Last edited by 400brian on Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

'09 Vintage Challenge Survivor, and I wasn't late for supper!
'10, '11, '12, '13,'14,'15,'16,'17, '18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Vintage Challenge Survivor !
72 400 restored, Father bought new in '71
73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'74 X8 9 time VC finisher
'78 Spitfire in progress
2 '75 340S 1 running, one on deck
'78 LF 440 future CC clone
'73 Skiroule RTX 440, 500 mi.
400brian

Re: Back from the HoF

Post by 400brian »

I arrived in St Germain around 2:30 on Friday. It had been bright and sunny, but with a strong west wind pushing me back and forth for the better part of 200 miles. I stopped at the motel first, and was shocked to see an empty parking lot! There was the familiar line of trucks and trailers along the west side, but no cars. So, I turned around and headed back to the HOF.

As Don posted, the poker run was being ran by car, so the HOF was just as deserted as the motel, as they weren’t expected back until 3:00. A row of sleds were parked along the driveway, providing a bit of eye candy, but the fireplace was inviting, so I settled onto the couch in front of it for a quick nap. Before I dozed off, Cari Rainville came in, followed by Nick Freatman. After we visited a bit, Nick and I headed out to see what kind of entertainment Joe was providing trying to get his ‘84 LF ready to serve as back up sled. This is the same one Stan Hays rode on the VC last year with no problems. The entertainment came when Joe, trying to address an off idle bog, put a new belt on. The new belt fit too tight with the shims that were in the clutch, and Joe didn’t have any with him. At that point he conceeded defeat and decided to put the sled back in the trailer, as he jumped the sled into the trailer and let off the gas, the belt bound up and stopped the sled abruptly, putting Joe over the bars, and breaking a small piece out of the right upper corner off the windshield. It was a rather undignified way to load the sled, but it was funny!

Soon the guys were returning from the poker run, the grill was fired up, and the brats were cooking. Cari apparently has never acquired a taste for this Wisconsin specialty, but the way they were disappearing, it seemed she was in the minority.

I had a chance to chat with Mike Wienfurter around the campfire, and I asked him if he had accompanied Jon Carlson, Tom Otte, and Bob Anderson on a trip north looking for snow that morning?
When he replied that he had, I asked what the skinny was? He replied that it was marginal, but that he thought we could get a short ride in up in the UP. I was glad to hear that, as I had fueled the X8 up waiting for the crew that afternoon, and I didn’t want to have to drain it back out.

The Deere guys won all the trophys handed out. Keith Bylin got the top hand in the poker run, Ross Heavener got the "First Across the Lake" , Kevin Campbell got the "Best in Show", and Joe Rainville was awarded the "Hard Luck" trophy, in anticipation of what was to come!

Troy and I hung around the HOF until it was getting time to head to supper. We tossed my suitcase into the room on the way by, then headed over to the Whitetail Lodge. The hostess told us we were the first from the Amber party to arrive, but a quick look around revealed Gene and Bonnie Ruder sitting in the bar. We chatted with them as the group filtered in, Gene indicating that he want to find big end rod bearings for Kioritz engines. It just happend that I had the bearings that I had found a couple of years ago in the truck. They aren’t useable, but they do have the correct OD and ID, so I gave one to Gene and told him to knock himself out.

Being as Gene and I were talking rod bearings, we were stragglers getting to the table. This put me across the table from Keith Bylin, and next to Tom White. I had run into both these guys last year, but had not really gotten a chance to get to know them at all. Keith ( Norton ) raced a 340/S in the '75 I-500, and it was very enjoyable to hear about those experiences. A bit later our Hostess added another table to the end of ours, and Brad Wheelock and his riding buddy joined us. Brad is the guy who got the two Dators from the dealership in Rockford. I had met him last fall at the Jefferson Show. It was great to get to know these Deere collectors better.

After we had sat down and ordered, I decided to take my beer on a tour of the room. I ran into Jon and went to shake his hand, but he protested: “where is the love?” So I had to give him a hug while trying not to spill beer on him! I asked Jon about the prospects of riding the next day, and told me that he was not in favor of it. Too slick, too much dirt and rocks, and too much water on top of the lake ice. He painted a very ugly picture of the trail conditions, and said he didn’t want to see anyone get hurt, or wreck their sled. I returned to eat my fish dinner with a heavy heart, because there is a hard core group of guys here that comes to ride, and it just wasn't going to feel right, nor would they be happy if we didn't.

The mood was a bit subdued around the table. There was laughter and interesting conversations going on, but there was definitely a cloud hanging over. As we finished eating, Troy got up and reminded everyone about the loss the Ambers suffered in December, and then passed out small decals to everyone with the number 27 on it.
This was Cam's football number, and we were all going to put these on our rides in remembrance that Cam could not join us. This project had been in the works for a while, and as far as I know, Troy and I were the only ones who knew anything about it before hand.

After supper we headed back to the motel where Roger Jordan was showing some sledding DVDs he had, along with last years ride video. A card game was going on in the lobby as well. I finally had to give it up and hit the sack, as I was wiped out.
Attachments
RWTC Feb 2011 HOF.jpg
RWTC Feb 2011 HOF.jpg (184.09 KiB) Viewed 2010 times
JD Joe rendering his LF inoperable, Sidekick Nick putting the whammy on him
JD Joe rendering his LF inoperable, Sidekick Nick putting the whammy on him
RWTC Feb 2011 resize joe.jpg (159.57 KiB) Viewed 2012 times
Last edited by 400brian on Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:12 am, edited 5 times in total.

'10, '11, '12, '13,'14,'15,'16,'17, '18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Vintage Challenge Survivor !
73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'78 Spitfire in progress
WinnipegStPaul9

Post by WinnipegStPaul9 »

Great synopsis Brian. You've all heard the line "More fun than you can imagine with your clothes on"? Well this weekend turned out to be more fun than you can imagine without riding sleds (for some of us). We had a terrific weekend and thanks to everyone for being so kind to Sean. His snowmobiling enthusiasm makes me want to work harder!! I'll let Bob post about the awards ceremony following the Poker Run.

DA
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
400brian

Post by 400brian »

Yes, the guys involved need to tell about the Poker run awards!

Bob had shared with us at Breakfast the next morning, about how generous and loving so many people have been since the accident, and how much it had made him want to treat people the same way.

Next...

Saturday's ride
Last edited by 400brian on Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'78 Spitfire in progress
400brian

Post by 400brian »

Troy and I got up on Saturday morning as if we were going riding. At 6:00 AM Troy started yelling; "GET UP!" we showered and dressed, but not with the same urgency as last year. We didn't suit up this year, hustling out to fire up the sleds and get them in line over in the restaurant parking lot. We hung out in the motel lobby for a bit, then headed over for breakfast. Upon arrival, we were told to sign in as if we were going to ride, and get our bibs on. Soon we were enjoying a great breakfast buffet. Biscuits and gravy, eggs and bacon, sweet rolls, fruit, it was all good.

Bob Anderson got up as we were finishing eating, and began talking about the lousy riding conditions. Then said that while it was far from good, that he was willing to lead a group out of Wakefield MI., east to Lake Gogebic, and Fishtails for lunch. We would then retrace our path back, about 30 miles each way. One group, late model and Vintage. Loren then took the mic, and did his best to talk us out of going.

Jon had agreed that we were the "hard core group" the night before, and I think we were determined to live up to that. There was no choice for Troy or myself, and I imagine it was the same for Joe and Nick, Kevin and Ross, or Tod Meyer. LETS GO!

After the mornings program was finished, we were told we had 20 min to join the caravan north. We quickly fueled my truck and returned to the motel to hook on the trailer. We then headed back to the HOF just in time to head out. We traveled a number of state and county roads, and most of the time I was running 65-70 to keep the trailer ahead of me in sight.

We parked near a gas station in town, pulled the sleds off, then headed across the street to get MI trail passes. I was feeling a bit apprehensive about the whole situation, as the windshield survey of snow conditions on the way up didn't seem any better than in St Germain. I pushed those thoughts to the back as I hustled to get suited up and get the sled over to the staging area.
Attachments
RWTC Feb 2011 resize wakefield.jpg
RWTC Feb 2011 resize wakefield.jpg (117.6 KiB) Viewed 2178 times
Last edited by 400brian on Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'78 Spitfire in progress
400brian

Post by 400brian »

We headed east out of town, running along side HWY 28. I had just settled into the ride, the sled seemed to be running OK. I was nervous about that because it had died on me loading it into the trailer the night before, though I think I had just pushed all the fuel away from the pickup in a long hard turn. The trail wasn't half bad, hard, but reasonably smooth.

Rainville was ahead of me, showboating on the Dator, when he pulled to the side and stopped. As I pulled along side, I could see the track hanging out the back. The left side outer belt had failed. Joe pointed at it and said: "I'm done"!
I replied; ' NO S***! It was a great photo op, but I didn't have time to get the shot, we were moving out!

This photo was taken on what I believe to be an earlier road bed of HWY 28, it was nice running.
Attachments
RWTC Feb 2011 resize.jpg
RWTC Feb 2011 resize.jpg (200.33 KiB) Viewed 2178 times
Last edited by 400brian on Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'78 Spitfire in progress
DeereKid9

Post by DeereKid9 »

I'll let Bob post about the awards ceremony following the Poker Run.

DA[/quote]

Well, here goes.

To start, let's think of the number "52". It will be related to a couple of factors in this story.
1) There are 52 cards in a deck of cards
2) We drove about a total of 52 miles during the poker run
3) Of the two hands of poker that I played, all of the cards added together (10 cards) might have added up to 52.
4) There were just short of 52 total hands played
5) 52- the number of "look at me" sliding donuts that Joe Rainville did on his sled on the main driveway to the HoF. There were many more the next day also.

But seriously, and many thank you's to all who headed this up.
I was asked, even though I did have two losing hands of poker, to stay around for the trophy presentation. No problem right? I mean there were brats and beverages for all. Jeff began to announce the winners for the top 3 hands and as he presented the overall best hand winner, Keith (Norton) with a straight, he announced that the poker run was now and will remain the "Cameron Amber Memorial Award". I was floored. Honored and teary eyed, I didn't know what to say. So, I will say it here and now, Thank you to all who had something to do with this great honor for our family. Also, with the 50% portion of the proceeds that went to the HoF, it was given in Cameron's name and it makes him a "Lifetime" member. Again, Thank you.
Always remember-Any parts leftover is money in your pocket.
1976 Liquidator - I 500 raced by Jim Zimmer
1980 Spitfire
1982 Liquifire-Last sled my son helped me work on. He did most of the motor work.
1984 Trailfire
2007 Ski Doo GSX 500SS
I500

Post by I500 »

Very well said. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
ncc250

Post by ncc250 »

Don, Bob, and all who participated in the poker run and Ride with the champs...Thank you. It truly is a pleasure to know all you guys. Its hard to get to know everybody but I can tell you...you have great group and its what makes it fun to do things like this. Thanks again!

Now if we could just get Rainville on the poker run..

Jeff
DeereKid9

Post by DeereKid9 »

Jeff[/quote]

He wouldn't make it to the first stop!!!!
Always remember-Any parts leftover is money in your pocket.
1976 Liquidator - I 500 raced by Jim Zimmer
1980 Spitfire
1982 Liquifire-Last sled my son helped me work on. He did most of the motor work.
1984 Trailfire
2007 Ski Doo GSX 500SS
80spitfire

Post by 80spitfire »

400brian wrote:We headed east out of town, running along side HWY 28. I had just settled into the ride, the sled seemed to be running OK. I was nervous about that because it had died on me loading it into the trailer the night before, though I think I had just pushed all the fuel away from the pickup in a long hard turn. The trail wasn't half bad, hard, but reasonably smooth.
Rainville was ahead of me, showboating on the Dator, when he pulled to the side and stopped. As I pulled along side, I could see the track hanging out the back. The left side outer belt had failed. Joe pointed at it and said: "I'm done"!
I replied; ' NO S***! It was a great photo op, but I didn't have time to get the shot, we were moving out!
Please tell me that he had a 2/3 cleat LF track not the original Dator track :shock:
72' 500 Restored
74' 295/S Unrestored
75' 340/S Rider
76' Liquidator Restored
77' Liquifire Rider
80' Spitfire Restored
WinnipegStPaul9

Post by WinnipegStPaul9 »

ncc250 wrote:Don, Bob, and all who participated in the poker run and Ride with the champs...Thank you. It truly is a pleasure to know all you guys. Its hard to get to know everybody but I can tell you...you have great group and its what makes it fun to do things like this. Thanks again!

Jeff
Jeff, thanks for all of your hard work. You never once doubted the Poker Run would go and I appreciated that. Sure it would have been more fun on sleds but it was great as it was. Definately missed the Vintage Ride the next day. We've always had a blast with Keith's group and you. Thanks for all you do, it is appreciated.

DA
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
400brian

Post by 400brian »

Please tell me that he had a 2/3 cleat LF track not the original Dator track
Of course it was an original Dator track. Emphasis on WAS! :bonk:

73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'78 Spitfire in progress
400brian

Post by 400brian »

We were moving along nicely, dodging the bare spots and a particularly nasty pile of rocks in the middle of the trail. Why those hadn't been removed from the trail is a good question!

As we turned off the highway and headed into the woods towards Lake Gogebic, we regrouped for a moment.
Nick had the hood up on the LF as soon as he was stopped. I pulled alongside to ask if there was a problem, and he said; "I've got fuel everywhere!" He soon located the problem. When the secondary opened, it was rubbing on the fuel line, and it had cut through. No one had any line, I had a filter that could be used to splice the line, but it was too long, it caused the line to kink. We could have cut one of the fittings off the end of the filter, but Nick found his vent line was long enough to work with the help of a couple of zip ties. Off we went.

The next time we re-grouped, a sled we had passed on the trail re-joined us with a tree branch duct taped between the skis! It seems Ryan Teach had a tie rod failure on his Polaris, and the stick was its replacement.

The trail through the woods was icy where it wasn't bare, and crooked as a snake. I had to slow way down here, as the corners were often treacherous. The new carbides were working well, but the cleated track needed a few picks. I was fighting to keep the rear end from sliding out. We came upon a groomer there in the woods, it seemed quite incongruent, being as there was nothing to groom. Tod Meyer's cousin Tabitha, blew a turn and ended up in the brush with her late model Cat. No damage was done, and we were quickly moving again

We presently came out of the woods and onto a road, it appeared the lake was across the road. The question was where was Fishtails? I headed south in the ditch. There were no tracks in the snow, and the ditch was filled with very slick ice. It appeared everyone before us had ran down the shoulder of the road, which appeared to be a mix of wet sand and gravel. I refused to run my sled in that, so I ran the snow and ice as best I could. I stopped to re-group, and that's when we saw the Fishtails sign, and a guy on a sled waving us in. We were soon on the ice of Lake Gogebic, in front of Fishtails.
Attachments
Red Green engineering award recipient
Red Green engineering award recipient
RWTC 2011 wood tie rod.jpg (182.14 KiB) Viewed 1791 times
RWTC Feb 2011 Gogebic.jpg
RWTC Feb 2011 Gogebic.jpg (97.18 KiB) Viewed 2012 times
RWTC Feb 2011 fishtails.jpg
RWTC Feb 2011 fishtails.jpg (178.74 KiB) Viewed 2012 times
Last edited by 400brian on Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:57 am, edited 6 times in total.

73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'78 Spitfire in progress
80spitfire

Post by 80spitfire »

400brian wrote: