80 Sportfire Resto

Technical topics related to machines powered by Kasasaki motors
rustyg

80 Sportfire Resto

Post by rustyg »

Hey guys, i've recently started rebuilding my sled i've had since childhood and haven't really worked on snowmobiles before but am quite mechanicly inclined . I just got the motor apart and am having a tough time finding some parts. The motor is a Kawasaki TA440B-C202. What i need to know is what other machines had this motor and what other motor #'s have parts that are interchangable.

It looks like i could get away with just replacing the bearings, seals & gaskets, but being a 31yr old unit i'm thinking i should get new pistons/rings anyways. Looking at the crank, i can see it needs the outer bearings, there is also about 1/8" of play in the inner bearings & the inner races spin freely on the crank, is this normal? I appreciate any input you can give me, thanks

:beers;
Kulture Vulture

Re: 80 Sportfire Resto

Post by Kulture Vulture »

Sounds like you either need your crank rebuilt, or find a good used one. I think on a sled that has this much sentimental value, it would be well worth the investment to have your original rebuilt by Jerome. That way, you can be certain you have a good crank. Chances of finding a good used crank can often times be tricky. Gasket kits, and pistons are still available, from various places. They Sportfire is a pretty simple sled to work on. It was the first sled that I ever rebuilt, and it was a fun learning experience. This site can become your best friend...
JDT

Post by JDT »

Great project you have in front of you.
80 Sporty's, as you well know, are cool machines and worthy of a job done right.
Have fun and involve a family member in your project. It will make for some lasting memories and quality time.
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
rustyg

Post by rustyg »

Thanks fellas, it does have some sentiment to me and i think it will be a great learning experience for me. I was wondering if i could get the crank rebuilt, who is Jerome? I would like to find someone or place around Winnipeg to do it. I've already got the gaskets, crank seals and new sliders for it. Once i figure out where to bring the crank i will order new pistons and bearings, that way the motor can go mostly back together. But i do need to find another fan as a blade broke off the original.

Keep the info comin, thanks!
WinnipegStPaul9

Post by WinnipegStPaul9 »

Jerome (Kretzman) is one of our sponsors. Check out his ad on top of one of these pages. He's in Minnesota so not that far from Winnipeg. Fan blade is pretty easy to find on Ebay. Make sure to pull the suspension and overhaul it, don't just put on new hyfax. Your 80 should have a chrome rear bumper (which can be rechromed) and chrome shocks (which cannot be rechromed) Another of our fine sponsors, John's Upholstery, can take care of your seat if it needs recovered. Keep the questions coming and we'll keep answering. If you get a chance check out the 1980 Sportfire that we restored in 2010 and raffled off for the Snowmobile Hall of Fame and Breast Cancer Research. DA
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
rustyg

Post by rustyg »

I tried searching ebay but came up with nothin since the shipping is more than the part. The reason i would rather get the crank rebuilt here is because i don't want to have to ship it unless i have to. I work in an upholstery shop so i will be redoing the seat myself. It does have the chrome shocks but they are very tired, can i get them rebuilt? or replacements?
manitobatrailfires

Post by manitobatrailfires »

I saw your Kijiji ad for that Sportfire fan, but I really don't know any Sportfire part places in Manitoba.

For getting stuff across the border, I usually ship to Mike's Parcel Pickup in Pembina, ND, and then drive down and pick it up. The old sled parts aren't subject to any duty, I only have to pay taxes sometimes. The couple who run the place charges $5 per parcel, and that is still way less than you would spend trying to ship to Canada. That, and many ebay sellers won't ship to Canada. I even had the new tires for my truck shipped up there from GA. Saved hundreds.

I have a Liquifire track, a set of TF 440 cylinders, a JD antler helmet, and a two-piece Beautiful Bodyguards suit for the wife sitting at the border to pick up right now. If you want, I can drive your crank down to Pembina and ship it to Jerome for you. Sounds like it'll be the best way to take care of that old family sled. I'm still driving my dad's Trailfire from 1980 as well.

Eric
1979 Trailfire 440, dad bought from Steinbach, MB JD dealership in 1980 with 1,200 mile and an aluminum tunnel on it, regular rider, 5,055 miles
1980 Trailfire 340, bought in 2008 with TA440A-C202 engine in it, regular rider, 6,250 miles, LF rubber track
1979 Trailfire 340, bought in 2009, in pieces and rough cosmetic shape, 440 cylinders ready to go in (need pistons still), no odometer
rustyg

Post by rustyg »

That would be awesome. If you want to do that i'm down. How much does he charge for a rebuild?
manitobatrailfires

I don't know, never had it done. You should probably talk to him about it, i guess, and make the arrangements.
1979 Trailfire 440, dad bought from Steinbach, MB JD dealership in 1980 with 1,200 mile and an aluminum tunnel on it, regular rider, 5,055 miles
1980 Trailfire 340, bought in 2008 with TA440A-C202 engine in it, regular rider, 6,250 miles, LF rubber track
1979 Trailfire 340, bought in 2009, in pieces and rough cosmetic shape, 440 cylinders ready to go in (need pistons still), no odometer
rustyg

Post by rustyg »

Oh, ok. I'll look into it and post here when i figure it out. How often do you go down there?
manitobatrailfires

I think I'll go down next week, if there's a cold day. Send me an email when you know more. eric@wildernesscommittee.org
ljm

Post by ljm »

Just so you know. A fan from a Kawasaki Drifter or an Intruder would fit a Sportfire..

Good Luck
Lloyd
Several Deere's
Several Kawasaki's

ACSCC #1534
rustyg

Post by rustyg »

Thanks, i found that out with some research but haven't come across anyone who has one.
ljm

Post by ljm »

there is a traifire fan on ebay.
Several Deere's
Several Kawasaki's

ACSCC #1534
rustyg

Post by rustyg »

So, Jerome says approx cost for my crank is ~$260. But told me that if the rods or rod bearings are no good then i will have to find another crank as they are unavailable. Can someone tell me how to find out if they are good or not before i send it out?

Thanks.