80 Sportfire Resto

Technical topics related to machines powered by Kasasaki motors
mwking

Re: 80 Sportfire Resto

Post by mwking »

Rustyg,

I have a sportfire fan if you need it. I am in Ontario so shipping shouldn't be a big deal. Don't get a Trailfire fan the Sportfires use a larger one.
'84 Liquifire,'84 Sportfire, '83 Sprintfire, '82 Spitfire, '82 Trailfire LX, '80 Liquifire (2), '80 Sportfire,'80 340 Trailfire, '79 Spitfire
rustyg

Post by rustyg »

From what i've seen the trailfires have a 10 blade fan not 9.

Thanks for all the help guys. I've gotten this far as far as teardown/parts without much insight into it, i do have the IPC and service manuals so that has helped a lot. I'm glad i turned to this site to help me the rest of the way and hope to have something shiny to show off in the end.

Here's a shot of it. :mrgreen:
Attachments
01072011_002.jpg
01072011_002.jpg (60.17 KiB) Viewed 312 times
Matt

Post by Matt »

rustyg wrote:So, Jerome says approx cost for my crank is ~$260. But told me that if the rods or rod bearings are no good then i will have to find another crank as they are unavailable. Can someone tell me how to find out if they are good or not before i send it out?

Thanks.
Just remove the crank and rotate the rods around it, to feel if the bearing feel smooth, and make sure there isn't much side-side run-out. If either rod bearing feels rough, you may have an issue there.
:usa: Matt - JDsleds.com Administrator
rustyg

Post by rustyg »

I'm goin to look at it tomorrow but i think the rods rotate ok, just depends how much side-side play there is. The motor is already completely torn down, mostly cleaned or painted ready to go.

My first goal is to get it running since i have all summer to work on the rest of it. I could do a build thread if there's interest. Not sure where to post it though, just a thought.
rustyg

Post by rustyg »

Looking at the crank right now, both rods seem to rotate pretty smoothly and there is very little side-side play so i think i'm safe.
Matt

Post by Matt »

You should be fine then. That was my problem 3 years ago - I sent my original crank to Jerome, but it had a bad rod bearing that damaged the rod and rod pin. I had to find another one for him to rebuild.
:usa: Matt - JDsleds.com Administrator
rustyg

Post by rustyg »

I read that somewhere on here, I don't think there should be an issue. There is some pitting on the crank and i'll try to get a pic, but i would like to know from other MB members if there is anywhere in Wpg other than Greg's that can tell me if it's rebuildable or not, since they are closed till the 8th.
S_Kyle

Post by S_Kyle »

Sun and snow in portage does them.
Scott Kyle,
Liquifire: 77 (440) (2), 600: 73,74,75
Massey Whirlwind: 76 440 (2)
Mercury Hurricane 644: 72,73
OMC Snowcruiser: 66,68,70
Rupp: 70 34 Sprint
Allouettte Super Brute: 74 (5)
OTC Deere sled dyno
rustyg

Post by rustyg »

hey guys, sorry i haven't had time to find anything out about the crank yet but hopefully by the end of the week.