NOS Liquidator Tank on Ebay

For Sale/Wanted topics - John Deere only!
Forum rules
Classified Posting Guidelines:
#1: JD snowmobile and related items only.
#2: Please do not post negative opinion comments about an item or PRICE. The only replies should be legitimate questions from interested parties.
I500

Re: NOS Liquidator Tank on Ebay

Post by I500 »

Congragulations Joe Wanie you have won the grand prize for understanding my twisted sense of humor and sarcasim. In reality i believe almost nothing should be re-poped. <except for my Dator decals of course> i spend to much of my time enjoying the chase and believe others should indulge in this great American past time .

Take care , i love you all . :bonk:
JoeRainville

Post by JoeRainville »

Hey Chuck, et al.

Like I said, I am "kind of with you" on this one. I would hate to see Liquidators end up like King Cat's for example, where you can purchase enough reproduction parts to build the sled from new and have to really look to tell the difference from and original. While I do like the custom sleds, clones still kind of cause me to pause, as it's complicated.

I really like the custom projects that used my Dator repop hoods. I am glad to see them be used to restore original Dators too, but that does not mean I think we should start producing Dator chassis and stamping them as original either. However, I do not have issues with anyone making any restoration grade production part.

IF you don't approve of a restoration part, then vote with your wallet and don't purchase them. I agree the chase is half the fun of these old things, and discovering the stories behind them often yields a pleasant surprise. Like when I found out I've owned 2 Dators that survived the 76 Minnapolis Branch Team. It appears I have a sled that was raced or used as a back up sled by none other than Roger Ebert. It also has some special parts on it that are coming to light, thank to the Deere guys talking to Terry Norgard about it.

But it's great to have quality resto parts availble, such as your decals (that I have 3 sets of, thank you!), Kenny's bars, airbox and carb boots, and even seats or snowflaps, etc. I am dissapointed that differing opinions, on what should or should not reproduced, are so devisive.

I am happy and fortunate enough to have a nice stash of NOS Dator parts, but I am also thankful for the reproductions that will allow me to restore one to "Up-Dator" specs too...

Later Liquidator,
-Rainville
Honorary Tech Editor

Chuck Norris doesn't get frost bite. He bites the frost.
jdsledsrgr8

Post by jdsledsrgr8 »

Good comments and like I said I have no problem keeping certain parts sacred. I just threw it out there.

Only things that causes me to pause is
1) NOS John Deere parts are in the hands of a select few. Great for you guys. I have been very fortunate in that all of you have been very willing to sell needed parts but still at some time you guys could say, no more and so the legend and interest in John Deere snowmobiles could wain because of parts zars.
2) My father has a 65 goat and my brother has 2 65 corevettes and 1 58 corvette. You can get all the parts for these cars reproduced and it has not caused the value to decrease. Just the opposite, it has caused the value and popularity to increase because now people want these cars because they know if something breaks they can fix it to enjoy.

Just my thoughts. A spare gas tank is not a critical part, if it was a critical part such as a piston or bearing or gasket I probably would push a little harder.

This is what is great about a web based forum, insightful and respectful commentary.
Mt. Horeb WI
1976 Liquidator
1976 Liquidator Clone
1978 Liquifire 440
rnp

Post by rnp »

I agree with Jdsledsrgr8 both comments. He hit the nail on the head. After 20 plus years of trying to find a Liquidator crank, or complete engine, to repair mine, the chase is no longer fun, and hasn't been for years. Every time you see someone mention about finding some parts, or they know where there might be some parts, you contact the parties and and it's the same old story, not for sale, or saving to trade for something else etc. etc. etc. It's old already. After all these years you start to not care if you ever make it run. If there was some reproduction parts for this engine, another "legit" Liquidator would run again. That's what bothers me the most: PARTS ARE THERE, BUT YOU CAN'T BUY THEM.

Just my 2 cent's worth...........Robert.
I500

Post by I500 »

In order to get them hard to find parts is to network with your Buddies. What i mean is to be able to trade back and forth between friends and not be tight with the goods. If i need a Dator crank its very easy to call a buddy for help. In turn i ask him what i owe and the reply is always the same with whoever i deal with. " we can work it out another day". Money never seems to change hands. In turn the day will come and he will ask a favor. It might be your only one but you give it up. Not sure if that makes sense at all but thats how its done.

I remember everybody that has helped me out in the past and remember those that did not. Dator cranks? Yes, they are out there. Help others and they will help you. Its that simple.