Windshields 80-84

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
WinnipegStPaul9

Windshields 80-84

Post by WinnipegStPaul9 »

I'm really confused about how many different windshields are available for the 80-84 models. Also, what are each called? Sean recently bought an 83 with a windshield style that I really like but could use a new one. I don't know what model it is. Could someone post pictures of each of the style, and secondly Matt are you selling them?

DA
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
nick80lf

Re: Windshields 80-84

Post by nick80lf »

Kimpex 06-708
18" vertically from hood to top of windshield
#1 Liquifire 2/12/2010 by nick80lf, on Flickr
Last edited by nick80lf on Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
80 Liquifire (purchased 1996 ~ Running)
80 Liquifire (purchased 2010 ~ Running....Now)
80 Liquifire (purchased 2011 ~ Not running - I officially have a problem now)
83 Snowfire (purchased 2014 father/son restoration project)
78 Spitfire ~ sold (should have been shot for this)
JoeRainville

Post by JoeRainville »

Don,

While I don't have the dimentions, there are three sizes of windshields for the full size 80-84 sleds. The lowest was "about" 16" tall (I think) and generally came on Liquifire's and possible Sports. The next one was the "mid-height" model that was generally considered a Trailfire sized windshield and was the common 'low' unit available aftermarket. The tallest was the "Cross Country" version that I belive came stock on 83-84 Trailfire LX sleds. That is pretty much the Kimpex one shown above, and the only one with 'side wings' and is of course, the tallest of them.

I know Jeff Haugen makes nice repop versions of the "low" ones, and the other aftermarket ones are typically the mid-to CC height units. I ran a mid-hieght Trailfire windshield on my I-500 attempter. With the aftermarket units, try to find the 'polycarbonate' versions, and generally avoid the low quality SnoStuff units that fold in the middle with age and speed.

-Joe

And here is Stan racing with the Cross Country tall version:

Honorary Tech Editor

Chuck Norris doesn't get frost bite. He bites the frost.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Don, I can get you either the Sno-stuff or Kimpex. Like Joe said, the Sno-stuff folds down pretty easily. The Kimpex that Nick posted runs $75 normally, I'll do free shipping at that price.

The "sport" windshield on my sled is the Cannon Classic Sleds version, which he has changed a bit since I got it. It does not have flares on the side like the Kimpex.
http://www.cannonclassicsleds.com/catalog/i237.html
:usa: Matt - JDsleds.com Administrator
Sprailfire340

Post by Sprailfire340 »

Matt wrote:Don, I can get you either the Sno-stuff or Kimpex. Like Joe said, the Sno-stuff folds down pretty easily. The Kimpex that Nick posted runs $75 normally, I'll do free shipping at that price.

The "sport" windshield on my sled is the Cannon Classic Sleds version, which he has changed a bit since I got mine.
Yep - what he said. I personally like the low original look for the liquifires. A few more pics here:
http://www.jdsleds.com/community/viewto ... eld#p84732
:sled: ME
WinnipegStPaul9

Wow!! All great information. My preference is the "Sport" type in smoke but that's just me. The boys will have to decide which ones they want.

Da (d)
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
JDT

Post by JDT »

The Kimpex ones are stiffer.

Jeff make a good piece also.
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
WinnipegStPaul9

I've always been happy with Jeff's windshields too.

DA
DeereKid9

Post by DeereKid9 »

I just bought a new one for my 82 and went with Jeff and though I don't have it on yet, I have mocked it up and could not be happier. I will order one soon for the 84 LF. I bought the smoked one and it just looks "Cool".
Always remember-Any parts leftover is money in your pocket.
1976 Liquidator - I 500 raced by Jim Zimmer
1980 Spitfire
1982 Liquifire-Last sled my son helped me work on. He did most of the motor work.
1984 Trailfire
2007 Ski Doo GSX 500SS
sledrescue

Post by sledrescue »

Matt wrote:Don, I can get you either the Sno-stuff or Kimpex. Like Joe said, the Sno-stuff folds down pretty easily. The Kimpex that Nick posted runs $75 normally, I'll do free shipping at that price.

The "sport" windshield on my sled is the Cannon Classic Sleds version, which he has changed a bit since I got it. It does not have flares on the side like the Kimpex.

Yes, the SPORT windshield has changed slightly with the hand protector flares. Too many guys did not like the old style with the huge flip out flares on the side so the design was changed but they still do flare to help divert the cold air away from the hands. Just more of a subtle flare.

The SPORT windshield when mounted is approx 12" tall

Jeff
www.cannonclassicsleds.com