Kenny's next reproduction: '78 style rear bumpers

For Sale/Wanted topics - John Deere only!
Forum rules
Classified Posting Guidelines:
#1: JD snowmobile and related items only.
#2: Please do not post negative opinion comments about an item or PRICE. The only replies should be legitimate questions from interested parties.
80spitfire

Re: Kenny's next reproduction: '78 style rear bumpers

Post by 80spitfire »

I'd be interested in one if you can't tell the difference from a 76-77 because I wanna put it on my Dator. So would you be able to really tell? Again sorry I don't know the difference in how they look I've just never had a 78.
72' 500 Restored
74' 295/S Unrestored
75' 340/S Rider
76' Liquidator Restored
77' Liquifire Rider
80' Spitfire Restored
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

If you can get online parts catalog look up part number M66408 76-77 bumper picture & then look at a M67684 78 style bumper picture.. or maybe some one can scan the two & post a picture of them.. I can't figure out how to post pictures..
But believe me only a true JD 76-78 guru would know the difference once you have it mounted properly..
Or you could wack off the bottom..

Kenny
AKA: Kenny, Grumpy, Mr. Richard Head
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
Do Anti-War Protesters have reunions? If so what do they TALK about?
80spitfire

Post by 80spitfire »

Oh ok cool I'll have to check it out once I have a chance. I'll let you know after this weekend if I need one or not. I'm getting a parts 76 sunday from Rich and I'm not sure if it has a good bumper or not. If it doesn't I'll get one from you.

Brian
72' 500 Restored
74' 295/S Unrestored
75' 340/S Rider
76' Liquidator Restored
77' Liquifire Rider
80' Spitfire Restored
69camaro

Post by 69camaro »

Kenny, put me down for 2.

Duane
75-340/s
76-340 Liquifire
77-440 Liquifire Custom
78-440 Liquifire
84-Liquifire
84-Sportfire
84-Sprintfire
84-Snowfire
78-Polaris TXL
82-Indy 500
91-XC 400
91-Indy 500 Special
94-Indy 440 Special
95-XCR 440 Special
96-XCR 440 Special
99-XC 600
04-XC 700
81-Kawasaki 440 Invader
WinnipegStPaul9

Post by WinnipegStPaul9 »

ICCSF 108 wrote: But believe me only a true JD 76-78 guru would know the difference once you have it mounted properly..
Or you could wack off the bottom..

Kenny
That's correct, to be "authentic" you would have to cut off the bottom of a 78 bumper.

DA
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Were real Close guy's only 15 left to be ordered & I might have another order of 10, so that MIGHT mean only 5 left to make 100??

Kenny
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
Sprailfire340

Post by Sprailfire340 »

Kenny,
You can bump my order from 2 to 5. I'm sure someone else can pick up the last few. Thanks again for the effort you put in on these.
:sled: ME
WinnipegStPaul9

Post by WinnipegStPaul9 »

Mitch (off subject) did I pay you for the studs?????

DA
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
80spitfire

Post by 80spitfire »

Well I checked my parts sled and unfortunately I don't have a bumper so go ahead and put me down for one Kenny.
72' 500 Restored
74' 295/S Unrestored
75' 340/S Rider
76' Liquidator Restored
77' Liquifire Rider
80' Spitfire Restored
S_Kyle

Post by S_Kyle »

Kenny, put me down for anouther. Looks like that makes the 100.
Scott Kyle,
Liquifire: 77 (440) (2), 600: 73,74,75
Massey Whirlwind: 76 440 (2)
Mercury Hurricane 644: 72,73
OMC Snowcruiser: 66,68,70
Rupp: 70 34 Sprint
Allouettte Super Brute: 74 (5)
OTC Deere sled dyno
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Update 10/25/11 WE NOW HAVE ORDERS FOR 103 Bars

Price will be $26.00 Ea. **NOTE:** Price will be $30.00 Ea. for orders not prepaid by the time of my receipt of the Bars..( About 4 weeks )
Right now were at 103, $26.00 ea guys, GET YOUR ORDERS &/OR PRE PAYMENTS IN....Thank You

Note: they do have some kind of finish on them & the bolt holes drilled, but not sure if the finish would last or IF the finished products will even come the same way or not. So lets say that these prices are for UNFINISHED & will be drilled..

I won't know how much shipping to US OR Canada will be until I start shipping them

Orders as of 10/25/11

dap274/North Pole Dave = 2 = Paid by Pay Pal
Deerenuts = 10 = Paid by Pay Pal
80spitfire = 1
Stymie ( Todd ) = 10
Duane ( 69camaro ) = 2
Mr. Deere ( Bob ) = 2 = Paid by Pay Pal
S_Kyle = 2
Harley = 1 = Paid by Pay Pal
Adam Epp ( eppjd ) = 2
Troy = 2
buck43 = 4
IBLEEDCATGREEN = 1
cledussnow77 = 2
Don O = 1
skoalmint ( Brock ) = 5
JD_Sledder68 = 1
Kenny = 10
Rainville = 10
tiny73 = 1
sledshack = 2
Wade = 10
Todd ( JDT ) = 2
Brian = 2
JDXspec = 2
Sprailfire ( Mitch ) = 5
Norton ( Kieth ) = 2
thevintagesnowmobile = 1
JDMIKE8100 = 2
Tasky = 4 = Paid by Pay Pal
chris71605 ( from Wisc. ) = 2
---------------------

Did I miss anyone?

Kenny
Last edited by ICCSF 108 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:05 pm, edited 11 times in total.
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Up-date 10/23/11

78 grab bar repro project

Postby 400brian » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:07 am

Kenny sent me prototype number three recently, and asked that I share my thoughts with the group.

The bar looks great. It came with a satin black finish, the bends were smooth. The holes were not de-burred as well as they might have been though.

I installed the bar to my '78 Liquifire. I installed the two horizontal bolts through the left side of the tunnel, so far so good. Moving over to the right hand side, I found I had to pry the bar inwards to install those bolts, and the vertical bolt through the foot board went in without too much effort. OK, better than in the past.

Now I went back to the left side to install the vertical bolt, and found I could see just a sliver of a hole. I loosened the two on that side, got the vertical bolt in, and tightened everything up. Being as the alignment was off, it pulled the ears of the tunnel forward a bit. This was a MAJOR problem with the last prototype. My guess is that the solution to this is to re-drill the vertical hole through the foot board.

The bar sits level, parallel to the top of the tunnel, and it is also reasonably parallel to the rear of the tunnel.

Conclusion:

While this is by far the best fitting prototype to date, it is not perfect. I have an OEM bar that fits this tunnel like a glove, and it did not come with the sled. This project has been far more difficult than I ever imagined.
While I do have some serious concerns about going to production with this bar right now, I'm wondering how much time and effort it would take to get the bar substantially better than it is now. You know, the diminishing returns kind of a thing. But having said all that, I'm leaning towards going forward to production.

Its up to Kenny to decide. Don was sent a prototype as well, sounds like his experience was similar.

Brian
lwb140

Post by lwb140 »

ive had several people look at this project myself . and everyone that ive had look at this part have handed it back and said "no way" the complound bends and bolt holes make this a very complex part, issues with bolt hole distance after the bend is made, make it a booger wade
certificate recipiant of the 12 vintage challenge !! on a 78 liquifre 440,
certificate recipiant of the 13 vintage challenge !! on a 340/s
certificate recipient of the 14 vintage challenge !! on a 78 liquifire 440
joe forgot the certificates for the 2015 vintage challenge
crossed the start/finish line twice at the 2013 and 2014 I500 on a 78 liquifire 440
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Well you guys have seen the posts on this project, what do you want me to do? we can go for it & do what has to be done to get the proper fit on any particular sled or just sh*t can the whole project, we've been at this for over a year now..
We have real close to 100 orders so the price would be $26.00 ea.
I'll do what you guy's who have orders in want.. If anyone wants out now is the time to speak up..

Kenny
Sprailfire340

Post by Sprailfire340 »

ICCSF 108 wrote:Up-date 10/23/11

78 grab bar repro project

Postby 400brian » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:07 am

...Now I went back to the left side to install the vertical bolt, and found I could see just a sliver of a hole. I loosened the two on that side, got the vertical bolt in, and tightened everything up. Being as the alignment was off, it pulled the ears of the tunnel forward a bit. This was a MAJOR problem with the last prototype. My guess is that the solution to this is to re-drill the vertical hole through the foot board.

The bar sits level, parallel to the top of the tunnel, and it is also reasonably parallel to the rear of the tunnel...
Brian
If the bar looks good with the horizontal bolts in and the major issue is the vertical hole alignment in the running board couldn't we just have them leave that hole undrilled? This would require us to drill the remaining 2 holes to install on a '78 tunnel, but at the same time allow some flexibility to fit as necessary. Really, how many virgin tunnels are there left out there (easy boys)? Also, I suspect a bunch of these are going on non-'78 sleds and the tabs will be cut off any way. I would rather drill a couple holes than try to redrill a hole that was close and then have to cover it up.
:sled: ME