PICS! 1972 JD 400 Restoration, PART 2

This is where you can post the story & photos of your John Deere Snowmobile project.
jeffreyrempel

Re: PICS! 1972 JD 400 Restoration-Just finished 340 Engine

Post by jeffreyrempel »

So far I have had a lot of possitive feedback on the sled at the show. I have been told a few times now that it is definetely the best restoration and best quality of work in the show. I consider myself a modest guy, but its nice to here and being my first restoration, I will definetely do another project. I want to restore a JD sled that I can actually drive and have some fun with. I am not sure what my plans for this sled are, as I will not be driving this one.... :canadasmile:
I wanted to write something witty here.... but I got nothing.
1972 400
luvzvintage

Post by luvzvintage »

awesome! Luv it. You did an awesome job on that sled!!

I've been a vintage Cat guy for years and ran into a deere first time between Xmas and NewYears of this past year. That deere was and is an '80 Trailfire 440 and I luv it...its an awesome fun sled to ride. Put over 700 miles on it last season! Blew out an upper idler wheel bearing at the end of the season and have since replaced every single bearing. Also installed the JD star stud kit, tunnel protectors, nice new gas suspension shock absorber and reconditioned the track and skid-frame. It's freshly fueled and rarin' to run! Hopefully i did everything rite and things stay together lol.

Have since sold my last vintage Cat and picked up another deere, this time an 80 Liquifire with 473 miles. Currently going thru the sled and preparing to replace the crankseals.

Luv this site and all the deere ppl!

regardz

Lloyd Neufeld
jeffreyrempel

Post by jeffreyrempel »

Me and my sled :canadasmile:
Attachments
P1070992.JPG
1972 400
SpitfireKing

Post by SpitfireKing »

Looks amazing! Great work Jeff...that a sled to be proud of!
[
jeffreyrempel

Post by jeffreyrempel »

So we woke up this morning with it snowing and an inch of fresh snow on the ground. My kids were very excited as its the first snowfall of the year. "it must have snowed for you Dad", they said. "Now can we go for a ride on your snowmobile? PLEASE Dad, can we"? My wife and kids have watched me work on this sled for two years and have always been waiting to be able to go for a ride on it, so I have decided that I am going to fire the damn thing up and have some fun with the family. Its to hard to just look at the thing and wonder what it would be like to go for a ride, so on my next days off its going to come to life for the first time in a lot of years. I will take a videos :canadasmile:
1972 400
johnnycyclone

Post by johnnycyclone »

This is what they were made for, to ride and enjoy. Have fun with the family, they will remember this for a lifetime, just as we remember what it was like to ride when we were kids. Your creating great memories, enjoy the moment.

:sled:
400brian

Post by 400brian »

That's what they were for.

If you don't let the kids ride, or have anything to do with it, it won't mean anything to them. They'll be looking to convert it to cash as soon as they come back from taking you to the old folks home. If they have a connection to it, they may appreciate it.

Have fun. :beers;

'09 Vintage Challenge Survivor, and I wasn't late for supper!
'10, '11, '12, '13,'14,'15,'16,'17, '18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Vintage Challenge Survivor !
72 400 restored, Father bought new in '71
73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'74 X8 9 time VC finisher
'78 Spitfire in progress
2 '75 340S 1 running, one on deck
'78 LF 440 future CC clone
'73 Skiroule RTX 440, 500 mi.
JD_Sledder68

Post by JD_Sledder68 »

HELL YES! You can always re-restore it again......but you can't recreate family memories that never happened!

Congrats! :lol22:
Brian Redick
1982 John Deere Trailfire LX 440
1978 John Deere Liquifire 340
KamJD600

Post by KamJD600 »

what a amazing looking sled you did a GREAT job
owning a john deere sed is alot like drugs.... ride one once and you are hooked for life]
jeffreyrempel

Re: PICS! 1972 JD 400 Restoration

Post by jeffreyrempel »

So I decided to try and start my sled today. I decided that before I put fuel in the tank, I should make sure that everything works first. At this point I am a little worried because when I finished the engine I decided to time the ignition with my eyes and without any special tool. I did use guages to set the point and spark plug gaps, and when I was done I figured I must be close or maybe I will be lucky and be dead on. I guess we will see. First I checked to see if I had spark and I had nice spark from each spark plug wire. Next I checked the compression, and I had over 125psi on each cylinder. I will get an accurate compression reading from each cylinder after the engine has run for a bit and get the compression difference between cylinders. For now I am confident that the engine will at least fire and hopefully run long enough for me to determine if I need to make any adjustments to the timing or carburetor.
So I decided to use a "nursing bottle" with a 20:1 ratio of premium gas and Amsoil to start. I dissconnected the fuel lines from the carb and connected the fuel lines from the nursing bottle.(first I injected fuel into pick-up line with a syringe to get fuel into the carb)
I choked the carb and started to pull vigerously on the starter rope and had no luck. I decided to pull the spark plugs and put a little fuel in the cylinders and try again with no luck....Hmmmm oops, I forgot to put the key into the start position.LOL :bonk: So I turned the key and tried again. This time the engine fired and turned over long enough to draw some fuel into the carb and it ran as long as I held the throttle. I opened the choke and set the stop idle screw so the engine idled at 2500rpm and everything sounded awsome. I opened it up to full throttle and it didnt skip a beat, and then I noticed a lot of fuel spitting out the front of the carb. :doh:
It was getting late so I decided that I will try again tomorrow. I have a NOS WR7-5 carb that I will install and now that I know the engine will run, I will get rid of the nursing bottle, fill up the fuel tank and hook up the fuel lines. Wish me luck.
I will post a video of the sled running tomorrow night. :canadasmile:
1972 400
jeffreyrempel

Post by jeffreyrempel »

Ok, the sled is running and I have no problems. I have a video that I am going to post shortly, as I am uploading it on youtube now. :canadasmile:
1972 400
JDT

Post by JDT »

:beers; :canadasmile: :clap:
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
jeffreyrempel

Post by jeffreyrempel »

Here is the link to the post with the video:

http://www.jdsleds.com/community/viewto ... =1&t=12762
1972 400
jeffreyrempel

Post by jeffreyrempel »

So Bill Tasky has worked out all the details to have the 1972 400 console delivered to Saskatchewan. I will have it in my hands sometime in early December and I will post a pic of the sled when I finally have the original console finished and on my sled. Thanks Bill :canadasmile:
1972 400
JDT

Re: PICS! 1972 JD 400 Restoration, PART 2

Post by JDT »

Bill your are a trooper!
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD