Trailfire rear shock?

Technical topics related to machines powered by Kasasaki motors
pipelinewelder20

Trailfire rear shock?

Post by pipelinewelder20 »

Hey guys new to sleds and the forum. I was wandering if anyone could tell me where to find a new rear shock for an "82" trailfire lx, or possibly the measurments. Thanks :letitsnow: by the way i priced them at image interprises in wi and the hyd shock was $48 plus shipping just looking for a cheaper option
Hackinator

Re: Trailfire rear shock?

Post by Hackinator »

This would be the same dimensions. So it would fit. But I don't know if a hydraulic ski shock would work in place of a suspension shock.

http://www.mfgsupply.com/snowmobile/sno ... 14-16.html
JDSnopro

Re: Trailfire rear shock?

Post by JDSnopro »

This is what I recommend to everyone that have a TF, SF or LF. You will never get the boggi to function well with the original "kinda" shock even if its new. With very little work you can use a front shock from a 90s Polaris, Yamaha or other with similar front suspension. If you want to be on the luxuary side, do like me and use an Ohlins shock. New they cost a fortune but at least here in Sweden you can buy a used pair for $150-200, as they were mounted stock on every race Lynx (Finnish brand) during the 80s and 90s. If you use Ohlins you have to be sure to use the newer piggyback with the longer mounting ear, as the older one is to big to give the swingarm enough space. This is what you need to do.....

1. Measure the cc between the holes on the schock you have in mind to use. Original its close to 305 mm but you can use chocks that are 330 mm long. Make sure the shock has enough stroke. I dont know about any other but the Ohlins. They have enough stroke even if it could have been 3-4 mm longer. The 330 mm Ohlins shock will reach bottom slightly before the swingarm hits the slides. You will not notice though as you will have longer suspension anyway and the damper has a rubber on the piston that protects it from reaching bottom.

2. Drill out the holes on the swingarms to fit the thicker bolts that are used on the new shock.

3. On Ohlins the chock end where you fit the bolts have a spacer on each side. You need to turn those down a little to fit the width between the shock mounts on the swingarm (Ohlins uses uniballs) If you use a chock that use the same kind of mounting ends as the original damper you have to grind the ends to the right width. Now you are done. Just bolt on and drive.

You will now have a boggi that works as any top of the line early 90s boggies and you can throw the original boggi rear springs in the trash.

Ola