Which Fire series for an everyday runner?

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
JoeRainville

Re: Which Fire series for an everyday runner?

Post by JoeRainville »

Hi Guys,

To chime in on the original question, I think it's easier to keep a Trailfire and Sportfire running good. 80+ Liquifires are very sensative to dirty carbs, worn belts, carb calibration and of course loose coolant drain bolts:>) BUT, I will take a 80-84 Liquifire for an everyday trail sled any time. I do think a 82-84 Sporty would be a great rider with oil injection and a rubber track.

But, I admit to have a weekness for 1st gen Liquifires. Don Amber and other guys doing excellent restorations on Cyclones have given me more appriciation for them. It inspired me to rebuilt one of my Texas Cyclones in my Fort Worth garage. Of the first gen, the 78 Cross Country Liquifire is deffinately my favorite. Of the Cyclones, I really like the 78's and have one or two in my barn..somewhere.

I still have my 76 Liquifire 440 that I bought as a 15 year old. Really should restore that one...

-Joe Rainville
Honorary Tech Editor

Chuck Norris doesn't get frost bite. He bites the frost.
monte44

Post by monte44 »

The 82-84 liquifires are for the most part add gas and oil and go. They sure start a lot better than the 80-81. I switched the ing. system on my 81 to the 82-84 system. In my opinion it starts and runs a lot better. My 80 sport is hands down most reliable JD I have ever owned. I did a re-ring and new seals 4 years ago it has never missed a beat!
427cobra

Post by 427cobra »

The Sportfire would be more reliable and easier to maintain. The 82-84 Sportfire would be a good choice as stated above...because they have the all rubber track and oil injection.

Good Luck!
Eric A.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid" - John Wayne
bigjohndeere

Post by bigjohndeere »

Thanks for all the advice. Now if we only had some decent snow around Winterpeg!