is it possible?

Technical topics related to machines powered by Kasasaki motors
Steve's/440Trailfire

is it possible?

Post by Steve's/440Trailfire »

Ok, so i just got done rebuilding the motor in my 83 trailfire lx that had been sitting for about 10 years. I finished hooking everything up and then did a spark and compression test. Both tested out fine. So, I got my son to help me with the pulling figuring it would take a few pulls and we went to start it. He reared back to give it a good pull and wouldn't you know....popped right off on the very first pull! The motor reved up just great and even came down and idled about where it was suppose to. I didn't have the air-box on so I didn't figure I was going to get the carb tuned in just right at this time, I basically wanted to run it up to temp and then shut it down, let it cool, and re-torque the head bolts.
So, I let it cool back down to room temp, re-torqued the headbolts, and went to re-start it, this time with the air-box on in hopes of getting the idle tuned in. Well, I pulled and pulled, and pulled and got nothing? Not even a back-fire or anything. So, I grabbed the spark tester and checked it out and nothing! No spark at all.... Is it possible that the cdi had one time left in it and once it got warm one time and cooled back off is now done? Has anyone heard of this happening before? I can't figure what else it could be except maybe the kill switch witch I un-plugged and still no spark? This is the cdi that has the coil built into it. Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks, Steve
1979 Spitfire
1979 Trailfire 340
1980 Trailfire 340
1980 Trailfire 440
1982 Liquifire
1983 Trailfire 440 LX
johnnycyclone

Re: is it possible?

Post by johnnycyclone »

The 82 Spitfire I have for sale had a bad key switch. When plugged in, no spark, when I unplugged it, the sled would run. Maybe test the key switch too.

Terre
JDT

Post by JDT »

Maybe on installing the airbox some wires were wiggled and you lost the ignition.
Recheck the connection going to the CDI.

You can unplug the main engine connector harness and test for spark.
This takes the kill, teather and key switch out of the loop.

Keep us posted....
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
Steve's/440Trailfire

Post by Steve's/440Trailfire »

Well, turns out it was the cdi. After sitting out in a field for about 10 years I guess i decided to work once and shoot craps! Ended up pulling the fan housing off, pulling the flywheel and installing the ignition system and fan housing off of a 1980 trailfire 440. Pretty much a plug and play deal. You also need the front engine cover that goes between the motor and y-pipe as the 83 cover doesn't mach up to the 80 fan housing. Other than that, it worked great! And now, if my cdi goes bad, i can get a replacement for around $50 instead of having to have the original one rebiult for $250 which is the case with the 83!
1979 Spitfire
1979 Trailfire 340
1980 Trailfire 340
1980 Trailfire 440
1982 Liquifire
1983 Trailfire 440 LX