fire series skis/spreaders

Technical topics related to machines powered by Kasasaki motors
Steve's/440Trailfire

fire series skis/spreaders

Post by Steve's/440Trailfire »

So, I have noticed that on my 83 trailfire, the spring is a mono-spring. On my 80 trailfire parts sled, it's a multi-leaf and where they attach to the saddle is different. I recently got the 83 from a barn find. I've pretty much gone through the entire topside of the sled so it's time to move to the skis and suspension. Both skis wobble back and forth ALOT! I can't imagaine that someone actually rode it like this. The springs seem to be ok, but they are very loose where they attach to the saddle. I haven't taken them off yet to investigate but am just wondering how they are attached. The older multi-leaf springs are attached with 2 bolts through the saddle and springs but I don't see those on the mono-spring.
Also, I was wondering about using ski spreaders to widen the stance a little bit. It looks like I won't be able to use them on the 83 because they attach using the 2 bolts that I mentioned. So, maybe I should use the skis from the 80 if I'm going to use the spreaders?? I have an idea to modify the shock mount for the spreaders but like I said, haven't tried it yet. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Steve
1979 Spitfire
1979 Trailfire 340
1980 Trailfire 340
1980 Trailfire 440
1982 Liquifire
1983 Trailfire 440 LX
JD600

Re: fire series skis/spreaders

Post by JD600 »

Steve,

Most likely your play is coming from 3 places. The first is where the leaf spring bolts to the spindle. There is a 3/8 bolt that holds the two together. There is a bushing that runs through the spindle that usually wears. This bushing is still currently available through John Deere as it was used on some of their cotton pickers. The problem is that the spindles are usually worn out as well. I am going to start welding mine up and having them milled out again at the local machine shop.

It is also likely that you have tie rod ends going bad. these should be available through New Breed Parts. Even though they are not listed, he should be able to get them for you. The other common issue with the fire series steering is that the darn bracket where the bottom of the steering shaft mounts wheres out. It is cast aluminum, and i am still trying to figure out a good solution to this one, when i do, i will let everyone know. (I have an idea, i just haven't tried it yet). There is a grease zirk on it, but no one ever greases it. Good luck and i hope this helps,

DE
Dustin Elder
Salem, OH

Midmounts.... Lots and lots of midmounts...

"Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege."
Steve's/440Trailfire

I know what you mean about that grease zirk as I just had the motor out of this 83 and greased it. That's about the only way you can get to it!
The spot that is loose on these skis is actually down lower under the "saddle" I'm calling it. This is the piece that bolts to the spindle which you described. My tie-rods and spindle are fine as is that joint below the motor. The place where it is very clearly loose is right where the actual spring attaches to that "saddle". Maybe I'm not doing a very good job describing it. I'm going out to the shop right now to take the skis off and investigate. My main concern was that it looks like the spring is attached by either being squeezed into the saddle or maybe spot welded somhow and I know I can't weld on the springs or get them very hot or they will loose their spring?
1979 Spitfire
1979 Trailfire 340
1980 Trailfire 340
1980 Trailfire 440
1982 Liquifire
1983 Trailfire 440 LX
Steve's/440Trailfire

OK...the newer mono-leaf ski's spring is held to the mounting bracket(saddle) with a single large rivet. That rivet had come out on both skis and therefore making them wobble like crazy! Spreaders will not work on the mono-leaf skis without some modification. The skis off the 80(multi-leaf) will fit right on the 83 if the spindle bushing is changed out and the spreaders will work with them as well....so there's my answer!
1979 Spitfire
1979 Trailfire 340
1980 Trailfire 340
1980 Trailfire 440
1982 Liquifire
1983 Trailfire 440 LX
liquifire1

Post by liquifire1 »

I had to go to some wreckers to find skis that were still tight in that spot (the bracket that bolts to the steering pivot) I'm not even going to go into the problems I had getting the bushings out of the pivot.

I also had challenges getting a tight fit on the leaf spring to the ski, I believe there is suppose to be a wearplate in the ski at the front of the leafspring.

I did not follow spec and did some "mods" to make it all happen and it has all worked so far......
I used rubber bushings and drilled some out and used oversized bolts in some cases

a good piece of advice I got was to use the back hole on the ski (when mounting to the pivot) the machine handles better with less forward weight on the skis.

I tried riding mine with ski's all loosey goosey, i could barely hold on to it above 20mph yikes very dangerous not advised
80 Liquifire 440 x 3 (1 runs...sometimes properly)
Matt

Post by Matt »

liquifire1 wrote: I also had challenges getting a tight fit on the leaf spring to the ski, I believe there is suppose to be a wearplate in the ski at the front of the leafspring.
http://www.newbreedparts.com/index.php? ... duct_id=62

Also, the bushing in the spindle is still available from John Deere as it has uses in other equipment.
:usa: Matt - JDsleds.com Administrator
JDT

Post by JDT »

Good thing you pointed this out Matt.

I end up replacing these on just about every sled I do and if they are worn the skis are sloppy.

It is $20 well spent.
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
ljm

Post by ljm »

Does anyone know the part number for the bushing?

I just checked on JDparts and it's listed as no longer avalible.
Thanks
lloyd
Several Deere's
Several Kawasaki's

ACSCC #1534
Matt

Post by Matt »

Well, maybe I spoke too soon because the one I was thinking of is for the early models - M48105, but I thought this one worked in the Cyclone/Liquifire too, and that's showing the same P/N as the fire series, so maybe someone with a Cyclone/Liq can confirm if that number works or not.
:usa: Matt - JDsleds.com Administrator
JD600

Post by JD600 »

it works. The number has been subbed though.

DE
Dustin Elder
Salem, OH

Midmounts.... Lots and lots of midmounts...

"Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege."
ljm

Post by ljm »

Ok Thanks

M48105 is a good number from JD

Lloyd
Several Deere's
Several Kawasaki's

ACSCC #1534