Summer storage

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
dator

Summer storage

Post by dator »

I'm putting my 295/S into storage for the summer. I fill the fuel tanks full so no air gets in,then put lots of seafoam stabilizer in it, and run it for awhile, then spray storage oil into the carbs until the engine stalls,then the cover goes on. Was wondering what most of you guys do for storage?
Bob E
Attachments
April 2-12- Getting Sprintfire & 295-S ready 4 summer storage 013.jpg
JoeRainville

Re: Summer storage

Post by JoeRainville »

Hey Bob,

NICE 295/s you have there! Looks a lot like a 74 factory I-500 sled for some reason :canada:

Watch out for that Sprintfire in the background. After all those years on 4" of travel or less, that 7.2" of movement seems pretty plush.

Oh, and for storage, I usually stabilize the gas, and try to fire them up a few times during the summer. Or, I don't do anything but park them in the barn so I get to do a complete fuel system cleaning in the winter. :doh:

Hope all is well in Winnipeg,
-Joe
Honorary Tech Editor

Chuck Norris doesn't get frost bite. He bites the frost.
Matt

Post by Matt »

I didn't know you had your factory team sled, very nice!

I do the same thing for storage - full tank, stabilizer, fogging oil in the engine. Run it long enough for the stabilizer to run through the carbs.
:usa: Matt - JDsleds.com Administrator
WinnipegStPaul9

Post by WinnipegStPaul9 »

SeaFoam in the tank, run carbs dry. Remove splinters.

DA
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
dator

Post by dator »

I picked up Jim Dano's sled from Jim Tradup last summer. I took Jim's hood off, and did up another hood like you see in the picture. I feel fortunate to have a sled that was on our team in 74.
Hey Jim D, if you read this, and want to go for a ride on your sled sometime, let me know, the sled runs great.

Joe i picked up the Sprintfire from a farmer friend this winter, and yea it sure has a softer ride than the 295/S,but the 295/S looks a lot nicer. I'm just getting the hood re finished on it, then I'll post a few pics of it.

Bob E
69camaro

Post by 69camaro »

I wash and wax. Drain all of the gas out I can get to drain. Pour stabil into the remainder of the gas. Run the gas out and spray fogging oil as the sled is running out of gas. Grease the grease zerks if any. Living in the woods we have trouble with mice so I put some mice bait under the hood. Install steel wool in the end of the pipe. Last put a cover over the sled.
75-340/s
76-340 Liquifire
77-440 Liquifire Custom
78-440 Liquifire
84-Liquifire
84-Sportfire
84-Sprintfire
84-Snowfire
78-Polaris TXL
82-Indy 500
91-XC 400
91-Indy 500 Special
94-Indy 440 Special
95-XCR 440 Special
96-XCR 440 Special
99-XC 600
04-XC 700
81-Kawasaki 440 Invader
Liquifried

Post by Liquifried »

I drain tank down to about a gallon, pour in 2x the amount of Sea Foam, shut off gas and let them run out. I then pour a small cap of synthetic oil in each spark plug hole, and pull it over a few times. Try to start what I can a few times through the year.
74 Evinrude Skimmer 400
79 Kawasaki Invader 440 (Factory Power Up Kit w/ Twin Pipes)
80 Liquifire with 83 Set Up (Electric Start / Plastic Ski Setup)
82 Trailfire LX
82 Sportfire (Electric Start)
83 Trailfire 440 LX (Electric Start)
83 Sportfire (Original Owner)
83 Liquifire
84 Sportfire
97 Indy 500 Liquid
2002 Polaris Classic 600 Indy Touring
(2) 2013 Polaris Shift 550 (Retro TXL Grahphics)
(2) 1996 Polaris Indy 500 Touring ( under 300 mi each)
1996 Polaris XLT Touring
TOYMECH

Post by TOYMECH »

I:
1/Drain all fuel.
2/Run engine to remove as much fuel from system and while running, use Mercury Marine Storage Seal to fog.
3/Remove spark plugs and give it shot of Storage Seal for good measure and whirl it over a few times with plugs out.
4/Give a good wash, blow everything under hood dry.
5/Grease all fittings.
6/Spray all bare metal parts and joints with Fluid Film including entire exhaust system.
7/Spray all bearing seals with Fluid Film.
8/Loosen track.
9/Ball up some tin foil and stuff into exhaust to keep mice out.
10/Loosen fuel and or oil tank caps to prevent cracking from thermal expansion and contraction.
11/Another thing that can be done with bare aluminum castings to keep them from corroding and dulling is to mist them with Armor All. I actually mist most of the bottom of my sleds as well as under the hood (in appropriate areas, of course) with Armor All before i ride them and when done riding, the belt dust and any exhaust drips just wipe up nice and clean. I mist the entire skidframe before riding and after riding, cleanup is easy - just point the hose underneath and flush it out - it's amazing how clean it keeps things - dirt just flows right off and no water spots left.

A friend of mine who has been into sleds for years and always has immaculate Arctic Cats taught me some of these tricks and been using them for the past 5 years or so and they work!

A nice couple of sleds you have there, Bob, thanks for sharing the pictures!
Last edited by TOYMECH on Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1981 Trailfire 440 (Original Owner)
1980 Liquifire
1981 Sportfire
1983 Sprintfire
1982 Snowfire
1978 CC Liquifire
1979 340 Trailfire
1982 Trailfire Special
JDT

Post by JDT »

Great idea about the tank caps. :canada: