Kenny's next reproduction: '78 style rear bumpers

For Sale/Wanted topics - John Deere only!
Forum rules
Classified Posting Guidelines:
#1: JD snowmobile and related items only.
#2: Please do not post negative opinion comments about an item or PRICE. The only replies should be legitimate questions from interested parties.
400brian

Re: Kenny's next reproduction: '78 style rear bumpers

Post by 400brian »

I'm in no hurry Kenny. What's up with the Chinamen? This is a grab bar...not a rice machine! :bonk:

'09 Vintage Challenge Survivor, and I wasn't late for supper!
'10, '11, '12, '13,'14,'15,'16,'17, '18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Vintage Challenge Survivor !
72 400 restored, Father bought new in '71
73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'74 X8 9 time VC finisher
'78 Spitfire in progress
2 '75 340S 1 running, one on deck
'78 LF 440 future CC clone
'73 Skiroule RTX 440, 500 mi.
skoalmint

Post by skoalmint »

Kenny im in no hurry ,Keep my $ till we get her figured out.Thanks Brock
cledussnow77

Post by cledussnow77 »

Hey guys, I talked with Kenny this afternoon and I'm going to check into a place here in town about producing the bumpers so I will have some news next week sometime. :beers;
Nothing Runs Like A Deere
cledussnow77

Post by cledussnow77 »

Hey guys just an update, I'm getting the pricing done today and should have more info by the end of the week. I'm also tryin to get a proto made so I can fit it to mine, the only difference is the tubing will be a little thinner(original is .125 and these will be .083) not sure if this will be a problem. I talked to Kenny this morning but he wasn't at home to look at his prints so he really didn't know. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks Ed
Sprailfire340

Post by Sprailfire340 »

Ed,
Just one man's opinion, but I think thicker would be better than thinner considering we all need repops because the original design didn't hold-up. Maybe this has already been addressed and cost & availability make it unfeasable...figured I'd at least ask. Thanks for helping out.
:sled: ME
WinnipegStPaul9

Post by WinnipegStPaul9 »

Really have to agree with Mitch here. Not sure thinner material is a good answer.

DA
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
cledussnow77

Post by cledussnow77 »

I got word today that we could gowith solid stock but was't sure how you guy's felt about that either, it would be stronger but wouldn't look correct ya know. Thats where I'm at right now, should have a price by the weekend I'm hoping. Let me know thoughts on this to. Thanks guy's. :beers;
lwb140

Post by lwb140 »

im sure no metal man here but a thinner wall tubing may be ok if its the correct material , my guy looked at this part for kenny and he said the 1/8 wall will make bending them tricky without kinking the tubing will take a special bender to do them on mt thoughts wade
certificate recipiant of the 12 vintage challenge !! on a 78 liquifre 440,
certificate recipiant of the 13 vintage challenge !! on a 340/s
certificate recipient of the 14 vintage challenge !! on a 78 liquifire 440
joe forgot the certificates for the 2015 vintage challenge
crossed the start/finish line twice at the 2013 and 2014 I500 on a 78 liquifire 440
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

I'm still working on these. I won't give up. I found a place in VN that has an automated pipe bender but so far I haven't found out from them IF they can bend as small as 3/4 tube. The prints call for a tube wall thickness of .083 we are looking to go as thick as .095 so if we are looking elsewhere we need to be looking in that area of wall thickness, we sure don't want to go thinner than OEM. also keep in mind the 78 style has 2 more bend so as not to confuse any prospective supplier. we will find someone someplace who can do this for us.

Grumpy in The NAM
AKA: Kenny, Grumpy, Mr. Richard Head
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
Do Anti-War Protesters have reunions? If so what do they TALK about?
jdsledsrgr8

Post by jdsledsrgr8 »

Is this the same type as the Liquidator. I have a proto shop creating me one that has an auto bender and they said they could handle making a 100 of these no problem. I do not want to throw a curve ball at this point in the process but they are local in
Wiscosin and seem pretty straight forward. I do not know the cost or the quality at this point but I will keep everyone posted.
Mt. Horeb WI
1976 Liquidator
1976 Liquidator Clone
1978 Liquifire 440
WinnipegStPaul9

They are not the same as the Dator would have used. 78's had a unique bend at the bottom.

DA
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Being we started out doing the 78 Style grab bar I think we should stay that way as everyone who has paid has paid for that style of bumper, also it would be like getting a price for an apple vs an orange to who ever is furnishing samples.

Lets see how I do in VN being I have a set of blue prints with me, I still want my contacts in Kansas City doing all the specs & purchasing for this unless you guys want me to return everyones money & then someone else can take this over?? I know how frustrating it is being we've been at this for 2 years now. You guys can't imagine how much time I've stuck into this let alone the company in KCMO that I'm working with there..

I'm not so sure that using the 76-77 style would produce 100 piece order like the 78 style bar would. I believe my order was for 125 bars @ $26.00 ea. Once I get back I can send a copy of the prints to anyone who thinks they can do them to our OEM specs. just let me know what you guys want me to do??

Grumpy in The NAM
AKA: Kenny, Grumpy, Mr. Richard Head
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
Do Anti-War Protesters have reunions? If so what do they TALK about?
WinnipegStPaul9

"just let me know what you guys want me to do?? "

I want you to have a good time and enjoy Vietnam.

DA
jdsledsrgr8

Post by jdsledsrgr8 »

Makes sense especially if they are not the same thing. I just wanted to share that a local company appears to have the ability to mass produce rear grab bars. If all does not go well with your contacts then these folks may be an option. First let me see their quality and price for the one I have being produced.
Mt. Horeb WI
1976 Liquidator
1976 Liquidator Clone
1978 Liquifire 440
cledussnow77

Post by cledussnow77 »

Keep at it Kenny I know you can get this done :clap: , the place i checked can't do OEM specs so I'm not gonna do anymore. It's back to you, I'm just sorry I couldn't help more. :doh: