Manitoba Vintage Rides

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
webman

Re: Manitoba Vintage Rides

Post by webman »

The whiskey ditch relic ride has been cancelled.
SpitfireKing

Post by SpitfireKing »

That's just fine by me, see you there
[
SpitfireKing

Post by SpitfireKing »

Note to self for next ride...don't install a set of ski's with the widening kit on them and not try it out before you leave....my poor cyclone which looked like it had the original windshield no longer has it...and I have 1 ski that looks like it's poiting straight up.....and a sore neck and back...let my buddy ride it and he said it was really darty so I took it..1/4 mile later I was checking the snow conditions on the trail with my face..LOL..oh well...got plenty of ski's to replace them with....but the pride is still out there in that field :P

As long as I:m not in traction I'l still be at RC tomorrw!
[
S_Kyle

Post by S_Kyle »

Why were you putting ski wideners on a cyclone? Those battle tanks would be the last thing I would install them on, an 800 is a different story all together.
Scott Kyle,
Liquifire: 77 (440) (2), 600: 73,74,75
Massey Whirlwind: 76 440 (2)
Mercury Hurricane 644: 72,73
OMC Snowcruiser: 66,68,70
Rupp: 70 34 Sprint
Allouettte Super Brute: 74 (5)
OTC Deere sled dyno
SpitfireKing

Post by SpitfireKing »

I find them and the LF very tippy as well...the 00's are death traps yes...but they could all use some help from some wider ski's. Oh well...heading out now to put on different ski's....and look through the pile incase I have a shield that will work..
[
S_Kyle

Post by S_Kyle »

Wow, I am surprised you find the LF's tippy. I should get you on the Rupp, that poor machine rarely has both skies on the ground.
Scott Kyle,
OTC Deere sled dyno
SpitfireKing

Post by SpitfireKing »

I've had enough Spitfires to know that feeling....I guess it's from riding an Apex with 9" ski-skins on it and a helluva wide stance to begin with.

Oh well...threw some different ski's on the Cyclone..but I think I need some spindles and new bushings....and new ski's :P....maybe another sled ...
[
Liquifire 4/6

Post by Liquifire 4/6 »

It's too bad the Whiskey Ditch ride is cancelled because me and a buddy had already been making plans to attend it. Oh well.....Maybe next year. See some of you guys tomorrow morning in Rapid City.
Peter from Roblin, Manitoba
S_Kyle

Post by S_Kyle »

Just finished fixing the rupp so I will be there with EppJD and hopefully a few others. They just finished the Douglas run and are in pretty rough shape.
Scott Kyle,
OTC Deere sled dyno
SpitfireKing

Post by SpitfireKing »

I wish I could have finished...hell..I wish I would have been on the right trail :P

See you guys tomorrow
[
SpitfireKing

Post by SpitfireKing »

Well turned out to be a beautiful day, and I'm glad as they were calling for snow and overcast all day. Good turn out, a lot more newer sleds seem to be showing up and fewer vintage sleds, but there are a few Deere's in the run and some very nice vintage iron that made it out. I had my 77 LF and Liquifire 4/6 had his Sunfire, Trailfire and 340 Cyclone in the group....and also Webman had his 80 or 81 LF not far ahead....we also ran into a guy who swore up and down his 340 Cyclone was a 74...it took LF 4/6 about 30 secs to show him the error of his ways :lol22:

Here's a few pics....and Scott...did we miss you or did you bail on the day?
[
SpitfireKing

Post by SpitfireKing »

pics # 2...They raffled off that Alouette there.....I haven't heard the phone ring yet...so I take it it's not being added to my collection :wall:
[
webman

Post by webman »

The liquifire made it this time. Ran great, but my back is shot. All the sleds in our group made it, even though my buddy ran into a boat.
Liquifire 4/6

Post by Liquifire 4/6 »

My phone never rang either about the Alouette......must be a problem with the phone lines.....lol

The trail was a much more scenic route this year compared to 2 yrs ago when I last attended the RC ride. It was a bit on the rough side though and it might take me a day or two to heal up. Nice bunch of people there, once again and some nice looking old sleds, but as SpitfireKing mentioned, the vintage stuff seemed like the minority with lots of newer machines zipping by. But, I really enjoyed the day and the new trail (especially the first half) is a definate improvement. Also liked the last mile or so where we ran on the winding river....got a bit of an adrenelin rush there in a couple spots. And I got a kick out of the hot rodded Massey 304....that thing could really haul a$$

SpitfireKing and a fellow from Minnedosa talked with me about maybe doing an unofficial vintage ride up here in Roblin in a couple weeks or so. Our derby was a couple weeks ago, however the trail is still in great shape and I'd be happy to groom it again a couple days prior to the ride if there's enough interest...even a dozen or so sleds would be good and I'm sure I can find several locals here that would be eager for one more oldies ride. I'll start a new post when we decide when it will be held and anybody interested is welcome.....we'll just meet at my bros farm and ride most of the Makaroff/Roblin vintage route and do a bring your own hot dogs, etc thing at the club shack.
Peter from Roblin, Manitoba
SpitfireKing

Post by SpitfireKing »

webman wrote:The liquifire made it this time. Ran great, but my back is shot. All the sleds in our group made it, even though my buddy ran into a boat.
:?: :?: :?: :?: Say that again???? :roll: Where was that?

Yep, I'm happy the LF has held together for 3 rides this season...but it does need all new clutch parts and some suspension work...maybe next fall......and my neck and back are pooched...so it must have been a good day.
[