building a small groomer puller

For hobbies other then snowmobiles.
_FIII

Post by _FIII »

Pete, if you know someone with a hand brake or press brake, the Lexan can be bent without heat. You just have to over bend it because it flexes back. Adding a little heat with a paint stripper will make it go a little easier though.

Good luck.
Richard Gehl
Regina,Sk
Mr. Deere

Post by Mr. Deere »

No problem ended up giving it to the guy at work for the loader. Cant wait to see the finished product. Good Luck.
BOB From MASS
OWN: 1 1983 JOHN DEERE LIQUIFIRE 440
1 1973 JOHN DEERE JDX8 440
1 1982 JOHN DEERE SPORTFIRE 440
1 2000 SKIDOO MXZ 600
GOTTA LOVE THAT TWO STROKE SMELL
larky

Post by larky »

A thought I had about aluminum was how well it will channel the heat away from the cab. may not even feel the heat from the heater.
Liquifire 4/6

Post by Liquifire 4/6 »

Harvest is finally wrapped up around here. Man, it just dragged on forever, but I'm finally back at working on this thing. I'm starting to wonder if I'll have it finished this winter. I spent the last couple days constructing a dashboard/heater air duct. Made it out of 1/8" plastic puckboard. I needed some air vents for the heater/defroster and didn't know what I could find. Then I thought of a buddy who is into demo cars. His preference is big Fords and Mercs, so I went over to his place and scored a couple dash panels from Grand Marquis sedans and hacked them up. Just finished gluing the vent housings in place and it looks like it'll work ok

Attachments:
Peter from Roblin, Manitoba
Mr. Deere

Post by Mr. Deere »

Thats looks like it would blow you out of the Machine.
BOB From MASS
1 2000 SKIDOO MXZ 600
b00stinGTP

Post by b00stinGTP »

This machine is truly amazing! It takes a lot of skill to be able to fab something like that up!
Sleds I own
1974 John Deere JDX8. (SOLD)
1975 John Deere JDX4. (SOLD)
1977 John Deere Liquifire 440. (SOLD)
1978 John Deere Cyclone 340. (SOLD)
1980 John Deere Liquifire. (SOLD)
1983 John Deere Liquifire.
Liquifire 4/6

Post by Liquifire 4/6 »

Thanks b00stin and Bob. A good buddy of mine came over this morning and helped me all day to fab up the tunnels. We have them temporarily mounted, so now I can get to work on the firewall and the radiator air plenum. My friend also whipped up a really nice looking expansion chamber mounting cradle that's gonna work like a charm. This was the first time I had anybody assisting me with this project.....and it was awesome to have two of us monkeys working on it as we made some decent progress on it today. Unfortunately, I realized tonight that the chaincase I spent many hours on back in April is going to be too short to allow proper clearance for the drive chain....so it looks like I'll be making a new one about three inches taller. That's just how it seems to work around here.....5 steps forward and three back. Oh, and Bob, if it's ok with you, I'm not going to paint the carbs :laugh:
Last edited by Liquifire 4/6 on Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Pete, wheres some more pictures??

Kenny
AKA: Kenny, Grumpy, Mr. Richard Head
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
Do Anti-War Protesters have reunions? If so what do they TALK about?
Mr. Deere

Post by Mr. Deere »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Very funny. I guess well have to see what happens.
BOB From MASS
1 2000 SKIDOO MXZ 600
Liquifire 4/6

Post by Liquifire 4/6 »

Kenny.......I seem to be havin probs getting any good pictures under the 200 KB maximum size allowed in here. I don't have any photoshop program to reduce my pics. Hence, the only pics I can post are small crappy ones, usually showing only parts of the machine. When I start getting it close to done, maybe I'll email some pics to Matt for him to post for me. Spent all day today building a RH window frame that opens. My entry door is on the LH side, so I figured I should have at least one opening window on the opposite side of the machine to use as an escape route in case I ever end up tipping the sled on the drivers door side. Here's a couple shots that are under 200 KB, but they're pretty lousy.

Attachments:
Matt

Post by Matt »

For a while after the forum update, the 200KB limit was not in place. I guess it is now. How about signing up for a photobucket account?
:usa: Matt - JDsleds.com Administrator
Jack Frost

Post by Jack Frost »

1978 340 CC Liquifire
I once bought my kids a set of batteries for Christmas with a note on it saying, toys not included
Liquifire 4/6

Post by Liquifire 4/6 »

Thanks Matt & Dave for the tips. I'll see if this works.

Attachments:
Liquifire 4/6

Post by Liquifire 4/6 »

I'm starting to think I've become obsessed with getting this thing finished. It's a sunday and I've been up since 4:00 am getting the exhaust mounting completed and making a cardboard mock-up on part of the side console.

Attachments:
Liquifire 4/6

Post by Liquifire 4/6 »

Another pic of the inside of the cab and one of this morning's accumulation of "thinking compound"....man, I gotta quit that stupid habit. I still haven't get around to finishing the plastic dashboard and RH console. I'll be painting them with the same stuff that I used on the overhead instrument cluster....kinda a textured silver/grey plastic paint. I won't install the heater vents until final assembly cause the little plastic retainers that clip them in place are so darn easy to break when you remove them......I found that out the hard way...had to tear apart the dashboards of 3 Grand Marquis and 1 Crown Vic to get the five unbroken ones I need (and each car had four dash vents).

Attachments: