Trailfire Windshield

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
badbrad83

Trailfire Windshield

Post by badbrad83 »

Curious how these windshields attach. Bought the sled with a busted windshield and some cracks in the hood. I've fixed the cracks, but don't see how these windshields attach. Is there a trim piece that covers the screws or what. Any close up pics of inside and outside where window attaches would be helpful.
JD600

Re: Trailfire Windshield

Post by JD600 »

Hi Brad.

The windshield actually just sits on the hood with the tabs through the slots in the hood, and there are o-rings (#2 in the diagram below) that go on the bottom side of the tabs to hold it to the hood. The theory behind this is that if you wreck the sled, the windshield will just pull off rather than get distroyed, although i'm not too sure it worked as good as it was planned. Hope this answers your question.

DE

Dustin Elder
Salem, OH

Midmounts.... Lots and lots of midmounts...

"Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege."
DeereKid9

Post by DeereKid9 »

Dustin is right on, but I haven't figured out with the "O" rings, if it is best to "wrap" them around the tab or "lace" them through the hole and make the "O" ring look like a figure "8"? Any imput?
Always remember-Any parts leftover is money in your pocket.
1976 Liquidator - I 500 raced by Jim Zimmer
1980 Spitfire
1982 Liquifire-Last sled my son helped me work on. He did most of the motor work.
1984 Trailfire
2007 Ski Doo GSX 500SS
JD600

Post by JD600 »

Bob,

i never thought of doing it that way, while i'm sure that will hold it on much better, i'd be afraid that it would take away from the windsheid's ability to break away in the event that the Churubusco boys run into another case of wood poisoning.... :trackdown: :sled:

DE
Dustin Elder
Salem, OH

Midmounts.... Lots and lots of midmounts...

"Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege."
WinnipegStPaul9

Post by WinnipegStPaul9 »

JD600 wrote:Bob,

i never thought of doing it that way, while i'm sure that will hold it on much better, i'd be afraid that it would take away from the windsheid's ability to break away in the event that the Churubusco boys run into another case of wood poisoning.... :trackdown: :sled:

DE
Hang on, I might laugh.....................................................nope...............no laughing matter here!!!! Just kidding of course.

DA
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
trailfire runner

Post by trailfire runner »

JD600 wrote:Bob,

DE
8) :lol: :lol:

BC
Clay Gerfen
My Sleds
1 1980 Trailfire 340 = Less than five hundred orginal miles
1 1980 Trailfire 440 = My Test Dummy
1 1980 Liquifire = Future race sled
1 1978 Spitfire
1 1979 Spitfire
JDT

Post by JDT »

:naughty:
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
badbrad83

Post by badbrad83 »

Thanks for the info guys never seen anything quite like that.
Matt

Post by Matt »

I got tired of the rubber o-rings breaking and falling off - I drilled a hole in each windshield tab and put zip ties on.

I was at a vintage ride last winter where a young girl was riding an Elan - or something like that. She got thrown off (she was fine) and the sled rolled a few times. The windshield popped off as designed.
:usa: Matt - JDsleds.com Administrator
JDT

Post by JDT »

How can an Elan get up enough speed top roll more than once?

:silenced:
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
Matt

Post by Matt »

She wasn't even going fast. It just caught a ice berm or something and went sideways.
:usa: Matt - JDsleds.com Administrator
WinnipegStPaul9

JDT wrote:How can an Elan get up enough speed top roll more than once?

:silenced:
:lol22:
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
sledrescue

Post by sledrescue »

badbrad83 wrote:Curious how these windshields attach. Bought the sled with a busted windshield and some cracks in the hood. I've fixed the cracks, but don't see how these windshields attach. Is there a trim piece that covers the screws or what. Any close up pics of inside and outside where window attaches would be helpful.

I no longer have the flared mounting tabs like what is in the picture. By having the larger outer ends and getting narrower as it gets closer to the hood creates a weak point in the mounting area. I predrill a hole in each tab and then just use a zip tie to mount the windshield.

Jeff
www.cannonclassicsleds.com
Liquifire 4/6

Post by Liquifire 4/6 »

I had a nice new windshield on my Trailfire last winter when I went to FIII's derby northwest of Regina, SK. I attached it by using o-rings wrapped only around the ends of the tabs. I made the derby with it, but on my way back home, I noticed just as I was getting into Regina, that the Traifire was missing it's windshield. So drill some holes in the tabs if they aren't already there and put o-rings or zip ties through the holes. I wish I'd done that the first time round.
Peter from Roblin, Manitoba
WinnipegStPaul9

Jeff (Sledrescue) you have a PM.

DA