It worked!!!

Technical topics related to machines powered by Kasasaki motors
Steve's/440Trailfire

It worked!!!

Post by Steve's/440Trailfire »

Well finally got the 83 Trailfire 440 LX going yesterday!! I recently rebuilt the motor and the cdi went out on it right after I ran it for the first time to warm it up for the new head gaskets. After looking for a cdi at New Breed and Dennis Kirk and ebay and finding none I called Bob at Image who informed me that the cdi units on the 83 Trailfires were a one year only design where they combined the cdi and coil into the same component. GREAT!!! So what's that gonna cost me Bob? Well let's see, I can get you a used one for about $85 with no gaurantee, or we can re-build yours for about $225!!!! NICE!!!

Well, not being real fond of either of those choices I realized that I had a bad motor out of a 1980 Trailfire 440 that I know had spark sitting on the bench. Not knowing if it would work or not, as I asked the question on here but no one seemed to want to chime in, I decided to take the fan housing, flywheel, and entire ignition system fom the 1980 TF and try it on the 83 TF. I will report that it worked beautifully!! The onnly other part I needed from the 1980 was the front engine cover that goes between the motor and the y-pipe. For some reason, the 83 cover would not match up to eht 80 housing? Other than that, it was pretty much plug and play!!

Just wanted to pass this along for all you 83 Trailfire guys that might run across a bad cdi some day. Rock on!!

Steve
1979 Spitfire
1979 Trailfire 340
1980 Trailfire 340
1980 Trailfire 440
1982 Liquifire
1983 Trailfire 440 LX
JDT

Re: It worked!!!

Post by JDT »

Good posting there Steve.
Thanks for sharing.