New Wisconsin Antique Registration

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
tmartin

New Wisconsin Antique Registration

Post by tmartin »

As of april 2014 Wisconsin changed the antique registration which was 1966 and older to now 35 year old machines. It is $20 for the initial 2 years of the new "antique" registration and then from there $5. Just a heads up for those of you looking to get these things registered up for the up and coming year. If you have current registration on them that will be good up to what the sticker says. If you already have antique registration it will only require the $5 renewal. dnr.wi.gov for more info
1973 John Deere 400-Fall 08-Ongoing project
1980 John Deere Trailfire 340 (RAT)- Spring 09- Daily rider
1982 John Deere Trailfire 340 - Spring 12- Daily rider
1980 John Deere Liquifire 440- Fall 12
1976 Arctic Cat Jag 2000 F/A Fall 10
1976 Arctic Cat Jag 3000F/A- Summer 10-Daily Rider
1980 Arctic Cat Jag 3000F/A-Summer 10
1988 & 1991 Polaris Indy 650s
"If You Don't Know Where To Start, Go Back To The Beginning"
nick80lf

Re: New Wisconsin Antique Registration

Post by nick80lf »

Wow....somewhere I thought I saw this wouldn't take effect till the 2015-2016 season, looks like that may have been wrong.

Here's a link to the article http://dnr.wi.gov/news/weekly/article_l ... sp?id=2921

Now....I have a few questions / comments

Let's say someone from out of state was going to bring a few 1980 model sleds into WI for the HOF ride a day or two early for a little trail riding. If I read this correctly the sled has to be 35 at the time the aplication is submitted so you wouldn't want to submit the application before Jan 2015.

Next it states "will be able to participate in special rallies and trail rides organized by Wisconsin clubs without purchasing a separate trail pass."....so I guess that means that if the HOF ride would be considered a "special rally" and the no trail permit applies......you need a trail pass to ride say....Thursday and Friday before the event?

The next statement I'm not quite sure about "To encourage enthusiasts to become involved in local clubs and help with trail maintenance, members who belong to both a club and the Association of Wisconsin Snowmobile Clubs will be able to purchase an annual trail pass for $10. Snowmobile owners who don't hold memberships in these groups will pay $30 for the required trail pass. Non-resident trail passes will increase from $35 to $50 per year."........What exactly does this mean? If your a Non-Resident it really doesn't matter if you join a club...you still pay $50 for the trail permit? I'd like to think a non resident would get a discount on trail pass if they join a club, since they stated they want to encourage enthusiasts to become involved in local clubs, but I'm not positive that's what they are saying.

Any of our HOF board members in the know on this?

:sled:

Edit: Looks like there are 2 different acts involved here Act 422 (expands vintage sleds to 35 yerars old) and Act 142, which doesn't take effect till July 2015
80 Liquifire (purchased 1996 ~ Running)
80 Liquifire (purchased 2010 ~ Running....Now)
80 Liquifire (purchased 2011 ~ Not running - I officially have a problem now)
83 Snowfire (purchased 2014 father/son restoration project)
78 Spitfire ~ sold (should have been shot for this)
PolCat

Post by PolCat »

nick80lf this post is about the ANTIQUE registration in Wisconsin and you are talking about Act 142, which goes into effect on July 1, 2015.
2 different law changes.

Back to the antique change. I thought that the 66 and older were grandfathered to stay as they are and the 35 and older sleds back to 66'
would be the 20$ and 5$ for 2 years after that.
"There's No Iron Like Old Iron"
Cabindweller

Post by Cabindweller »

The cost to join a club, such as the one I am in, is $15.00 for a single person and $20.00 for a family per year. The $20.00 savings on the trial pass is moot unless you are have more than one snowmobile. Those who have just one, wont come out ahead by joining a club. Vintage sleds will be issued a free trail pass. Registration for all sleds is supposed to be $30.00 Resident for three years insted of two years. Not Sure about the nonresident thing yet. We have club members who are non residents. The AWSC will be handling all of this starting in 2015. They are taking it off the WI DNR's hands and the WI DNR is not happy about it. In the end the hope is that more of the revenue made off snowmobile registration will end up back in the hands of the clubs to maintain trails. Lord knows we need it. I am sure there will be more answers before the 2016 Hall of fame ride.

On March 19, 2014, Governor Walker signed Assembly Bill 407, the CAP/STEP Initiative. The measure is now 2013 Wisconsin Act 142 and will go into effect on July 1, 2015 and is designed to accomplish the following:

•Creates a two-tiered trail pass requirement at an annual cost of $30/non-member and $10/club & AWSC member.
•Provides a free annual trail pass sticker to be displayed on sleds 30 years and older.
•Increases the non-resident trail pass fee from current $35/year to $50/year.
•Moves to a $30/3 year registration fee structure.
Includes a 4-year sunset clause which requires evaluation prior to renewal of this law.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old sleds are hours of entertainment.... then you get to ride them for a little bit.