RWTC preparation

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
jep_800

RWTC preparation

Post by jep_800 »

I had a question for all the veterans of the VC or Swamp Challenge... I've been going through the old threads, and F.A.Q.'s to get mor knowledge or tips. Was wondering if someone has put together, or willing to put together a checklist, or Tips, Tricks, or Techniques to properly prepare your sled for RWTC? I've done my own preliminary checklist for the two sleds I own, but am probably not ready to conduct such a ride at this point. What I've learned by reading the past events, is you can't get prepared enough, so the more you do, the better your chances are. Maybe Matt, Joe, Troy, Bob, (others) or a combination could put in their ideas that novice guys like me could use to get ready? Am also looking for advice on a first trip. I'm kind of leaning toward the Swamp Challenge, as it is a shorter ride, and seems to be a more relaxed pace. What do the experts suggest??? Thanks.

jep_800
1975 John Deere 800
1975 JDX8 (VC Finisher 2019)
1976 440 Cyclone (VC Finisher 2022)
1974 El Tigre 440 (Sold)
1996 Arcitc Cat 440Z
jep_800

Re: RWTC preparation

Post by jep_800 »

I didn't mean to leave out B. Linder... probably the most achieved of all the VC riders. I think someone coined him the "iron man".

jep_800
1975 John Deere 800
1974 El Tigre 440 (Sold)
1996 Arcitc Cat 440Z
HoosierDeereMan

Post by HoosierDeereMan »

It seems like no matter how much you plan for there is always something that bites you. Things that have put me out of the Vintage Challenge were a broken slide rail from hitting ruts out on the lake, a bad stator, ( I'd advise getting a rewound one from Hewtech) and the midday warm weather can really effect carb jetting.(too rich). Loctite can be you friend on suspension bolts. Shake down miles are a must. The more times I go north the more I find handle bar heaters are a must. Obvious stuff like a tow rope, spare plugs, plug wrench, spare belt, and a few basic tools. A recoil rope never breaks at a good time so a wrench to get the recoil off and a piece of rope for a pull rope might make your list. I've seen guys carry a few feet of fuel line, extra fuel filters, cable ties, and duct tape. If you have Mikuni carbs a couple of extra "E" clips might be handy. I've helped look for those in the belly pan a few times.

Troy
'72 400
'73 400, (2)500's, 600
'74 295/S (restored) 2010 HOF poker run survivor.
'75 800, JDX8,
'75 340/S 2011 & 2012 Vintage Challenge finisher.
'76 (2)400's
'78 Liquifire 340,440
'79 Spitfire
"If it has Tits, Tires, or Tracks it's gonna cost you money!"
Matt

Post by Matt »

As far as the sled goes:
Rebuild engine, carb, and fuel pump
Replace all bearings in driveline and suspension.
Free up suspension cross shafts, replace shocks if needed
As Troy said one wildcard is the ignition. It might work fine for years, or it may fail on your first trip. Hewtech has new high-quality ignition components for Kioritz engines but not Kawasakis.
:usa: Matt - JDsleds.com Administrator
lwb140

Post by lwb140 »

first off , im glad to hear of your interest in participating in such a fun weekend .As far as sled prep goes here are some things ive learned over the years. First of all decide if your sled is a resto trailer queen project or a vc rider I believe there to be a difference . I have sleds that ive restored I would never consider taking on the vc because of the miles and the sometimes rough terrain. you will be sticking trail permit stickers on your windshield so maybe have a special one for that event ,not your brand new $100.00 show windshield. make sure it is tall enough to keep you out of the wind. definitely make sure your lights are working most generally it is near or after dark when we return make sure wire connections aren't corroded and wires are tied tight. make sure your sled has enough fuel capacity and is full when you leave. almost full, or well I thought it was full will end you up on a tow rope. have extra gas in jugs for the support truck. that way you can fill at the fuel stops without standing in line at the boat dock paying $5.00 a gallon for it. THIS WILL HELP KEEP US MOVING . take an extra quart of oil. make sure your suspension is working freely and is working as it should. also same with your front ski shocks make sure they are in at least descent shape. new ones are recommended. custom gas shocks are better yet. if you are willing to make modifications to your sled heated grips are very nice. foot treads make for less fatigue. look your sled over well ,sloppy steering joints should be corrected. Good brakes are a must, when you are in a group there is a lot of starting and stopping. don't use the sled in front of you to stop. retorque bolts you have had out for maintenance. ive had troubles in the past with the rear track adjustment bolts coming loose allowing the track to loose tension. possibly add some picks to your track but don't over-due it, just enough to keep your sled going straight on ice. take extra goggles and gloves , those are my knee jerk thoughts . rebuilt engines, new ignitions, rubber tracks, plastic skis, newer clutching and juice brakes make for nicer ride and piece of mind but aren't mandatory. ive seen some awfully ugly bone stock sleds make the ride just fine and a few nicely restored ones never made it off the hotel property. shake down miles allow you to find problems ahead of time and work out the bugs. Many fellows have discussed using modded hot rod engines. unless you have a ton of miles on the sled or have experience with the combo id leave your power plant stock. If you are mister motor race guy and are able to tune your sled ,than that's different.

MOST IMPORTANT!!!! be ready, have your sled finished in time to run your sled some before hand , sleds that are hauled in in kit form and finished in the trailer the morning of the ride historically have a tougher time earning a certificate. Be at the whitetail in plenty of time to get parked signed up and eat a bite of breakfast. allow time to find the support truck and get your fuel loaded. Have your cans full ahead of time and ready to go. I'm always nervous about breaking down or forgetting something I need. especially since my wife rides the challenge as well. thanks for asking wade
certificate recipiant of the 12 vintage challenge !! on a 78 liquifre 440,
certificate recipiant of the 13 vintage challenge !! on a 340/s
certificate recipient of the 14 vintage challenge !! on a 78 liquifire 440
joe forgot the certificates for the 2015 vintage challenge
crossed the start/finish line twice at the 2013 and 2014 I500 on a 78 liquifire 440
acesillini06

Post by acesillini06 »

I did the 110 mile swamp challenge. I did crank seals, rebuilt carbs, new suspension bolts and ski bolts and a rear gas shock. Original stock untouched 340 Sprintfire motor ran pretty good. There's newer sleds there to pull if you break down. Nothing to be afraid of. Just do your best at getting ready and pin it to win it! It's a very fun memorable experience!
1983 Liquifire 2-1983 Sprintfire's original owner
1983 Trailfire LX 1983 Sportfire and 1976 Liquidator #170
1982 Sprintfire 1982 Liquifire/Intruder "white hood" 1975 340/s #179
jep_800

Post by jep_800 »

Thanks everyone for your input. I have already done over half of what you guys are talking about including a completely rebuilt 440 CCW, and rebuilt carburetor. Seems to run really strong. I originally built it for show, but that already seems to be more boring than actually using it. I was thinking, Deere built these things for us to ride, so I think I would enjoy doing some miles on it. RWTC is a bit more than just a ride, so test miles is on my agenda big time. I do need to go through other things that weren't replaced, just cleaned up. I'll definitely go through the skis, bolts, and nuts with a fine tooth comb. My lights and brakes all work good, as well as tach and speedometer. I'm looking forward to this trip immensely, based on all your stories from years past. Thanks again.

jep_800
1975 John Deere 800
1974 El Tigre 440 (Sold)
1996 Arcitc Cat 440Z
lwb140

Post by lwb140 »

you doing this on an 800 ? don't think anyone has ever done it on bogies ? wade
certificate recipiant of the 12 vintage challenge !! on a 78 liquifre 440,
certificate recipiant of the 13 vintage challenge !! on a 340/s
certificate recipient of the 14 vintage challenge !! on a 78 liquifire 440
joe forgot the certificates for the 2015 vintage challenge
crossed the start/finish line twice at the 2013 and 2014 I500 on a 78 liquifire 440
Jd sled rider

Post by Jd sled rider »

This was my first time at the rwtc, I did the vintage challenge. I will admit, I completely rebuilt the motor, including the crank, had the jugs re nickasiled, all new gaskets, and Pistons. When I got done with all that, the whole sled got all new bearings the skid got lubed, new track shock, paint and polish. What I quickly found out, the one thing you overlook will be the one thing that shows its head. My secondary clutch, had the bushing pop out of the helix, and I am fairly sure, I am the one that held up the ride for about a half hour. I am glad that people jumped in and helped to farmer fix it so I could finish the ride. It was the best time I have had sledding in a long time!!!!! I will be there next year, come hell or high water! I hope to ride with the same group of people as this past ride. It was a great time. Hope to see you there next year, and the people that asked us if we wanted to tag along, left a lasting impression, and I will be there to shake your hand, and put a face withe the name. Later Lincoln
2015 vintage challenge finisher on 81 liquifire
2016 vintage challenge finisher on a wounded 83 Liquifire
jep_800

Post by jep_800 »

Well, my Cat is a slide suspension, but you know what the 800 is. I saw back in 2010, someone did the run on a nice 800, but looks like he didn't make the finish. That year had a lot of Deere casualties from what I was reading. Know it is definitely not for faint of heart, but maybe there a first for everything. That's also why I thought the Swamp C. might be a better fit. Not sure.
1975 John Deere 800
1974 El Tigre 440 (Sold)
1996 Arcitc Cat 440Z
jep_800

Post by jep_800 »

Lincoln, That is one thing I'm most looking forward to... meeting all the folk that talk here on a regular basis. I've learned so much from just reading everyone's experiences. I hope I get to speak to some of the race legends (ETD), though kinda wondering about Winnipeg to Willmar, as it's the same weekend. I know most of you guys won't miss RWTC, but they may be attending the I-500. I've put this event on the top of my list. Can't wait to be adding to these threads instead of just reading them. Thanks again.

jep_800
1975 John Deere 800
1974 El Tigre 440 (Sold)
1996 Arcitc Cat 440Z
jdsledsrgr8

Post by jdsledsrgr8 »

Jep-800

So glad you are fired up to join in on the RWTC wknd. I have done the VC 4 years previously and this year I did the Swamp Challenge. I would not say the Swamp Challenge was any less of a trip. It was less miles but still a challenging and spirited ride.

Agree with what everyone has said.

Most important be prepared to have fun and enjoy. The great thing about vintage sleds is they are unpredictably exciting. You can do all the prep in the world and then something just happens (my sled had 300 test miles with some of them very hard riding all of a sudden the stator just decides to crap out on the ride, nothing I could have done to prepare for that).

Enjoy the experience and friendship of the weekend.
Anxious to meet you next year.
Mt. Horeb WI
1976 Liquidator
1976 Liquidator Clone
1978 Liquifire 440
jep_800

Post by jep_800 »

Matt, One thing an old Army buddy of mine always says to me is: "You can't put a price on a good time". We've always had this as our motto, and it definitely seems to fit with this group, and this event. Looking forward to it.

jep_800
1975 John Deere 800
1974 El Tigre 440 (Sold)
1996 Arcitc Cat 440Z
Jd sled rider

Post by Jd sled rider »

It is good to hear you say, you can't put a price on a good time, cause it is expensive! I think I burned over 55 gallons of gas, in two days. It was worth every penny!!! Lincoln
2015 vintage challenge finisher on 81 liquifire
2016 vintage challenge finisher on a wounded 83 Liquifire
400brian

Post by 400brian »

The guys have all made good points here.

Did you replace the fan shaft bearings and belt? I don't check the bearings anymore, just replace them.

My X8 has never had the engine apart. Seals, fan bearings, carb rebuild, new exhaust, nothing internal.

The VC on a 800? NO PROBLEM ! If I can do it on the X8, you can do it on the 800. Kevin Campbell burnt down a 800 a few years back on the VC, but up to that point he was kicking my butt.

Since I started attending the RWTC, I approach working on my sleds differently. Before it was get them running and as cheap as possible. Now it is fix things as good as possible, as reliable as possible, and spend what it takes to get it done. I do not have a fortune in my X8, but I do have WAY more in it than it is worth. But it doesn't matter, the sled has done me proud, and I'm not selling it anyway.

Make your plans, and get some time on the sled. Bring it out next February, and we'll show you a good time. :beers;

'09 Vintage Challenge Survivor, and I wasn't late for supper!
'10, '11, '12, '13,'14,'15,'16,'17, '18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Vintage Challenge Survivor !
72 400 restored, Father bought new in '71
73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'74 X8 9 time VC finisher
'78 Spitfire in progress
2 '75 340S 1 running, one on deck
'78 LF 440 future CC clone
'73 Skiroule RTX 440, 500 mi.