pondering selling my 81 race ready liquifire

For Sale/Wanted topics - John Deere only!
Forum rules
Classified Posting Guidelines:
#1: JD snowmobile and related items only.
#2: Please do not post negative opinion comments about an item or PRICE. The only replies should be legitimate questions from interested parties.
jer_311

pondering selling my 81 race ready liquifire

Post by jer_311 »

Not sure what it's even worth. Can anyone help me out?
1981 liquifire fully rebuilt and restored. Race ready and all legal for USXC. Placed 6th in 2013 I-500, 4h 6min time. Over $7000 invested. Know I can't get close to that.
3/4" new rubber track, plastic skis, fox shocks all around, all new electronics and gauges, hydraulic brakes, ski doo race bars, master cylinder, throttle block, bar riser, new comet 108c, arctic cat button secondary, custom made jack shaft to fit secondary. Plus, plus, plus.... Every bolt has been pulled out and replaced on the entire sled. also have almost a complete spare sled in great condition in pieces. It is a turn key sled, minus the key :) (tether)
Anyone interested or know a value? Last fall it started on the first pull and I moved it from the enclosed trailer to my storage unit. Never hit snow last year, and I'm done racing.
john deere.JPG
sledhead16

Re: pondering selling my 81 race ready liquifire

Post by sledhead16 »

Forest lake, my old area lol. First...cool looking sled! It's always neat to see people's customs. Thanks for sharing it's racing heritage. You may find a particular interested party looking for a sled like that, as far as value goes customs are tough I feel cause you can value parts to an extent but a lot of jd fans also like original. I would say sit down evaluate what you have into it in parts and what your honestly willing to let it go for and if no one is interested just keep her and enjoy it!
1975 340/s Speed Run Sled
1975 340/s I500 #161
1980 Liquifire SN# 4995 From WA Speed Run Sled
1980 Liquifire SN# 4996 From MN
1983 Sportfire
1984 Liquifire Deep Snow Tunnel 4/6 motor
1984 Sprintfire (2)

***Duelling Deere Garage***
mn.deereguy

Post by mn.deereguy »

The half as much as you have into it hopefully kind of deal is what I figure is always the case on my end.
74-jdx4 special my first jd i got when i was 10
2-76 cyclones
1-77 cyclone
2-78 cross country
1-78 440 liquifire
1-79 spitfire
2-79 trailfires
3-80 spitfires
4-80 liquifires
83 trailfire lx
2-83 liquifires
JDT

Post by JDT »

Anyone that has built a XC race sled knows what is involved.

Anyone wanting to build one will learn the time and money it takes to put one together.

Here you have a turnkey machine with proven history and a finish.

No reason not to ask what you have in it.
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
JoeRainville

Post by JoeRainville »

Hello Jeremy,

Sorry to hear you are done racing, but congrats on being the highest finishing Liquifire to complete the Vintage Class of the I-500. I don't think anyone has come close to your finish on a Deere.

Value is a tough because you put so much into it to make it a competitive top-tier racer. I assume $7k is only in parts, not including hundreds of hours of time for fabrication and assembly. Personally, if I was in the market for an I-500 proven racer (and knowing what I have spent on mine over the years) I would think $3.5k to $4.5k would be very fair. That said, you may have to let the market determine the value via an eBay auction or such. I fully understand Todd's take of starting at $7k though.

Best of luck finding a new home for the most successful Vintage I-500 Liquifire out there.

-Joe
Honorary Tech Editor

Chuck Norris doesn't get frost bite. He bites the frost.
jer_311

Post by jer_311 »

Thanks everyone! I'm thinking $4500 OBO sounds fair. That would include all my john deere parts. Including a spare fresh lower end rebuilt by Hanson Racing Motors, and all the components for the top end, new pistons, good heads and cylinders. If anyone is interested please PM me. I'll probably wait till closer to the race season to get motivated to list it in vintage sleds, ebay, and with USXC and COR Powersports. It is available now though.

Jeremy