looking to do a resto/mod lots of questions

This is where you can post the story & photos of your John Deere Snowmobile project.
heiner921

looking to do a resto/mod lots of questions

Post by heiner921 »

i recently picked up a 76 cyclone 440 in decent shape for free just needs a throttle cable to ride for the winter but in the summer i am looking to restore/ make a sweet modded sleeper out of it with a modern drive train and rear suspension. i do have a spare parts early era liquifire that i can use as well.

as for the winter i think im gonna do a dual carb swap from that liquifire and put it on my cyclone

i guess the main question is as anyone done anything like this? successful or fail? what did you use?

i have been following this build? http://vintagesleds.com/bs/index.php?topic=44654.0 But i dont want to be a copy cat.

Lmk what you guys have experienced!

thanks matt
Rebuilding aluminum idler wheels for you! new bearings, solid rivets, and polishing. PM for details

Seeking 76 Cyclone 440 parts
Low black windshield
Complete seat or just the cover
kwc

Re: looking to do a resto/mod lots of questions

Post by kwc »

hi Matt - the Cyclone / Liquifire makes a great chassis to mod, its very strong and there is a lot of room up front to stuff in late model power. The biggest hurdle I had on this build was the limited area to fit in a 1.25" lug track and a bulkhead heat exchanger. Once the drive axle, chaincase and jackshaft set, then everything else falls into place. The first blast down the trail at 100 mph+ will make the numerous build hours all worth it!

I hope to start my next build real soon, going to put a 700cc triple from a 2002 Yamaha Viper into a 75 Merc Trail Twister chassis.

Keep us updated on your project, we like pictures.

Kevin
Kevin Campbell
Vicksburg, Michigan
kwc

Post by kwc »

check out Wanie's sled, his fab skills and build quality are amazing.

http://www.jdsleds.com/community/viewto ... =1&t=16293
Kevin Campbell
Vicksburg, Michigan
acesillini06

Post by acesillini06 »

Kevin and Joe Wanie's builds are excellent examples of how to do a resto/mod John Deere! Kevin we would love to see pictures of your T/T Yamaha triple build also! I would love to have that sled!
1983 Liquifire 2-1983 Sprintfire's original owner
1983 Trailfire LX 1983 Sportfire and 1976 Liquidator #170
1982 Sprintfire 1982 Liquifire/Intruder "white hood" 1975 340/s #179