Liquifire crank seals

Technical topics related to machines powered by Kasasaki motors
raiderfan

Liquifire crank seals

Post by raiderfan »

Start to finish, from the time you open the hood to adding coolant. What's the average time for doing crank seals? Fire series chassis.
discus

Re: Liquifire crank seals

Post by discus »

For a liquid, If you are mechanical but have never done one before your'e looking at somewhere around 6-8 hours just doing the very bare minimum work to get it done and back together. Get a manual for sure if you don't have one. If you know your way around sled motors and have all the correct tools readily available you could likely shave an hour, maybe even 2 off the job. If you are a beginner and are planning to figure it out as you go add at least 2 or more hours because you will likely be making or running to buy tools to get it apart properly. To do it right things need to slow down once the motor is out and on the bench. This is the only chance you have to really look over the rotating assembly and cases. More often then not I'm putting new bearings on the crank ends because I'm in there anyway.

I always de-grease the motor before I pull it. Makes for a much more pleasurable experience. Good time to clean the bulkhead up after the motor is out. After a motor job the carbs should really be double checked for setup. Good time for fuel lines if it hasn't had them in the last few years. Might as well double check that clutch alignment once you get the motor back in. There 's probably at least a dozen or more other things that should be checked after a surgery like this. Actually scratch everything I just said..... you better just call it an all weekend project.....lol

Good luck
AirborneX4Special

Post by AirborneX4Special »

Yep. Everything's apart, so might as well dial it all back in before pulling the recoil rope. If the carbs haven't had a good cleaning in a while, send them out for a good boil if you can't do it yourself.
sledhead16

Post by sledhead16 »

Takes me a couple hundred hours to build a whole sled, too many times THINGS your don't need to happen with these happen, usually from previous owners
1975 340/s Speed Run Sled
1975 340/s I500 #161
1980 Liquifire SN# 4995 From WA Speed Run Sled
1980 Liquifire SN# 4996 From MN
1983 Sportfire
1984 Liquifire Deep Snow Tunnel 4/6 motor
1984 Sprintfire (2)

***Duelling Deere Garage***
raiderfan

Post by raiderfan »

Without getting crazy, while I'm doing crank seals anything I should be looking for?
AirborneX4Special

Post by AirborneX4Special »

If you have a reliable source for a crank inspection, you can do that. Otherwise Jerome at Crankshaft Services is wonderful. He's a sponsor of the site as well.
raiderfan

Post by raiderfan »

New to the Kawi, do I have to split the case to replace the crank seals? Can I just do the two seals? Or do I need more gaskets etc? Seal Part numbers?
427cobra

Post by 427cobra »

You'll have to split the cases, the seals have a lip that rests in a groove in the chaincase.

FYI...
If you're doing an 80's LF you'll have to pull the oil pump drive gear off the crank to remove one of the seals.

Check out new breed parts for the correct seals...
Eric A.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid" - John Wayne