Well... i just did something bad....

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
JDX-8

Post by JDX-8 »

Well it seems that i could not make up my mind.... 34, 36, 38, or 40mm..... it seems that some of the JD sleds came with twin carbs and the motors smaller than the 440.... and with 36mm carbs or smaller.... it seems that i should be able to run maybe a 38 single or so...

So, a long story short.... i could not make up my mind... and bid at the last 2 seconds of an auction.. not really expecting to get it..... and i won.... check out what i won!... i guess i will have some of these for sale, as i dont need any but one or two of them!....

:D

Some are brand new!... some are missing the tops but that is no big deal!...

is this a good find???
JDT

Post by JDT »

Hey everybody.... Kelly is going into the carb business.
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
JDX-8

Post by JDX-8 »

hahahah.. i guess i could!....

God dont tell me none of them will work!...lol... there a few 34mm, a bunch of 38's and a 40mm in there.... and one flat slide.....
JDX-8

Post by JDX-8 »

another shot!
JDT

Post by JDT »

Rest easy Kelly, you're good.

Now you need cables.
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
Liquifire 4/6

Post by Liquifire 4/6 »

Hey, they make great bookends.....but be sure to drain the float bowls first.
Peter from Roblin, Manitoba
JDX-8

Post by JDX-8 »

hey that is a good idea.. pull out the mig welder... and make some art!... i could do that!....

;) i notice that a couple of them in the top left have a 2 wire plug comming from them... any idea what that is?
Liquifire 4/6

Post by Liquifire 4/6 »

JDX-8 wrote: i notice that a couple of them in the top left have a 2 wire plug comming from them... any idea what that is?
I'm pretty sure the ones with the wires are from Arctic Cats. In the early nineties, Arctic Cat began using Mikunis with some sort of electro magnetic safety switches mounted to the carbs. I believe the idea was that it would shut down the ignition if the switch sensed a frozen throttle slide. It was a troublesome enough device, that Cat included a little jumper wire tool in the tool kit so that you could bypass the switch if it failed on the trail. Ask Paul about it....he's probably used it lots on his Cougar

;)
Peter from Roblin, Manitoba
JDFanPa

Post by JDFanPa »

The 2 wire deals are from cats more than likely its no big deal however you just leave them unplugged. Thats how my cats are. I beleive the little jumper wire in the tool kit was just for the ignition switch if it failed. Most sleds you can start without the key if you unplug the switch on late 80s and 90s cats you have to jump the switch.
Danzig

Post by Danzig »

Liquifire 4/6 wrote: I'm pretty sure the ones with the wires are from Arctic Cats. In the early nineties, Arctic Cat began using Mikunis with some sort of electro magnetic safety switches mounted to the carbs. I believe the idea was that it would shut down the ignition if the switch sensed a frozen throttle slide. It was a troublesome enough device, that Cat included a little jumper wire tool in the tool kit so that you could bypass the switch if it failed on the trail. Ask Paul about it....he's probably used it lots on his Cougar

;)
You are correct, I have duel 34mm with this wire on both carbs.
1973 JDX8
1978 Liquifire 340
1980 Liquifire 440 CC Racer
1980 Liquifire 440
1982 Liquifire 440

"Gotta Lick It Before You Stick It"
JDT

Post by JDT »

Ahhh yes.... the famous Cougar

:rolleyes:
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
JDX-8

Post by JDX-8 »

Cool!.... so that will in no way inhibit the proformance of this carb.... and that is nice... i remember when chevy started putting sensors on their 4bbl carbs... and that was a pain in the butt!.... but it seems that there will not be a problem with these then... (3) 38mm carbs have those wires.. the others dont....

Now i just need to get these on ebay or something.... and get rid of the ones that i dont want!...

:D I dont have space for a collection of carbs... shoot.. i have a collection of race car parts already....

Thanks for the input guys!...
harleysportster

Post by harleysportster »

JDX-8,
Are you going for the single or dual setup.
'76 440 cyclone
'76 440 liquifire
'78 440 Cyclone
'75 JDX8 (sold to a member here)
'78 Liquifire(CrossCountry Clone)
'80 Liquifire(sold)
JDX-8

Post by JDX-8 »

Well harley.... i would really like a fast sled that will turn a few heads.. going with one of my ccw440 reed motors...... im not interested in keeping it stock or orginal or anything.... but i first though about doing a set of smaller duel carbs.... but dont know how i would go about it since it is a reed motor.. i did see an intake manifold on ebay that was for a duel setup from another ccw motor.. i think a 340?.. or something like that.. did not know if that would fit or not....

but i guess i will just go single for now... as im guessing these are just to big?.. for a duel set up..... and i dont know if it would be worth the effort of running duels???!!!

I truely could make a intake manifold for it... that would not be the worst of it... just dont know if it would be worth it or not.... hum.. said that already.. sorry .. very tired!... :lol:
440 invader

Post by 440 invader »

If yor going to run a single carb I'd just set the carb up with the jetting from a '76 and up cyclone and then keep an eye on your plugs. I have a '74 X6 with a newer X8 440 with cdi and the tuned pipe,and I actually still run the original Walbro carb on it,and it will carry the skis' ,for what seems like forever.
Good Luck