which one is correct?

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
robtan88

which one is correct?

Post by robtan88 »

Good evening folks. Are you all getting the winter storm there yet? We here in Ontario are getting ice pellets followed by about 15cm of snow tonight. I came across a confussing find tonight. I have 2 identicle tc340a Kawasaki liquid cooled engines that I am tearing down to install new crank seals and gaskets. Now forgive me for my ignorance as Im used to working on Deere tractors and combines. Anyway I goes and pulls the cylinder heads off the first engine and found the piston placement arrow pointing in the direction of the intake port. I says to myself ; I have never seen that before; which puts the piston ring pins at about 10 oclock and 1 oclock at the exhaust port. I thought I;ll just yank the head off the other same engine and see what way the arrow direction is pointing. Wouldn;t you know it, it is pointing towards the exhaust port, and yet both engines have OEM pistons in them. Don,t need a ring expanding and grabbing ahold of a port because of some dummy installing the pistons in the wrong way. Which way is correct? please help" thanx Rob
JDXspec

which one is correct?

Post by JDXspec »

Most every sled eng has the arrow pointing to the exhaust
Own 74 295/s, 75 340/S, 800, 76 440 Liquifire, 300, Liquidator (3), 78 440 Liquifire, 340 Liquifire CC, 80 Liquifire, 82 Trailfire LX, 83 Sprintfire 84 Sportfire
colt250ss

which one is correct?

Post by colt250ss »

Yes, except for the motors in the earlier AC Pumas which I believe were Kawasaki engines. I may be wrong, but that is what I heard.
robtan88

which one is correct?

Post by robtan88 »

O.K. HERES A SINARIO. now that I,v had asecond look at the arrow placement and were the ring pins line up, they are staggered on either side of the exhaust port with the arrow pointing at the intake port, butif I turn the piston 180 degrees so that the arrow is pointing to the exhaust port, the pins are now in centre of the intake port area which could pose a possible problem of the rings expanding inthis area and grabbing a hold of the port could it not? Although the intake side does run cooler. What are you,re thoughts.
Liquifire 4/6

which one is correct?

Post by Liquifire 4/6 »

Yep, the arrows should point at the exhaust ports on your Kawi engine. The only sleds I know of that are different are most of the Polaris/Fugi engines which have the arrow in line with the piston pin. It always points toward the magneto side of the engine.
Peter from Roblin, Manitoba
ICCSF 108

which one is correct?

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Are you working on a Sprintfire Fireburst motor or a Kawasaki - Kawi 340 I can't help you much on the Fireburst 340 liquid motor, BUT if the other 340 liquid then most every Kawi motor that I know of has a little tear drop in the center of the intake port, this is so the bottom ring doesn't open up at the top of the port, when the piston is in the BDC position, the crank shouldn't let the ring down any farther than that tear drop... As far as I know all Kawi motors have the arrow pointing toward or almost toward (11:00 or 1:00 position) of the exhaust port.

Kenny
AKA: Kenny, Grumpy, Mr. Richard Head
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
Do Anti-War Protesters have reunions? If so what do they TALK about?