Another Dator hits the block !!

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
JDCornFlakes

Post by JDCornFlakes »

Just noticed another Dator on eBay for whoever has interest. It is located in Manitoba Canada. Original dator w/o orignal motor/pipes/airbox etc.
Good luck to all see ad below.

Thanx Dave

Ebay Dator
DAVE
From Ontario...That's in Canada not in California eh !
JDXspec

Post by JDXspec »

That Pete's Dator He has it listed the classifieds also.

http://z12.invisionfree.com/jdsleds/index.php?showtopic=7545
Own 74 295/s, 75 340/S, 800, 76 440 Liquifire, 300, Liquidator (3), 78 440 Liquifire, 340 Liquifire CC, 80 Liquifire, 82 Trailfire LX, 83 Sprintfire 84 Sportfire
JDCornFlakes

Post by JDCornFlakes »

No body ever complain again about not finding or getting a Dator .

Let the whining STOP NOW !

No reserve and at $1450 a steal and I feel very sorry for you Pete !!

Thanx Dave
DAVE
kioritz

Post by kioritz »

I think the whole border thing scares off alot of potential(U.S.)buyers, not to mention fuel prices and the current economy.
deere memorabilia

Post by deere memorabilia »

Maybe this has some thing to do with the price

Sled $1450
Motor $1000 or more if you can even find one
Pipes $500
Hood $350
Air box $200
Temp Gauge $100
Seat repair $250
Gas to pick it up $500
-----------
$4350
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

I can't believe that it never got a bid for all the people who seem to want Dators it was a good starter sled??
I believe that there was a few Dators that went for over the $4300.00 price mentioned???
Kenny
AKA: Kenny, Grumpy, Mr. Richard Head
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
Do Anti-War Protesters have reunions? If so what do they TALK about?
Matt

Post by Matt »

It is a baaad time right now $$$ wise to make purchases like this, not to mention we are out of season.
:usa: Matt - JDsleds.com Administrator
I500

Post by I500 »

I will look like the bad guy here but Jesse,s numbers were a bit conservative. The parts he listed were on the cheap side if you could find them at all. This was not a good example of a Dator and it would cost a fortune to complete. Only thing Dator there was the serial number. Everybody that knows anything about a Dator can see that. Good Dators are out there and some are going cheap. Keep looking and it will show up.
69camaro

Post by 69camaro »

I completely agree with Chuck and Jesse. I don't want anyone to feel bad or be offended but this was a parts sled. $1450 for a serial # when you can buy a nice one for?

:( Sorry, Duane
75-340/s
76-340 Liquifire
77-440 Liquifire Custom
78-440 Liquifire
84-Liquifire
84-Sportfire
84-Sprintfire
84-Snowfire
78-Polaris TXL
82-Indy 500
91-XC 400
91-Indy 500 Special
94-Indy 440 Special
95-XCR 440 Special
96-XCR 440 Special
99-XC 600
04-XC 700
81-Kawasaki 440 Invader
Liquifire 4/6

Post by Liquifire 4/6 »

No big deal about the no sale. I feel it's worth the price I had on it, but it likely wasn't the ideal time to list it. I'll just find someplace to store it until I have the time and money to get at it. Been having a few problems here this week and I'm sorta relieved it did not sell because I'm probably going to have to put my ebay store on hold (vacation setting) until I get things sorted thru.
Peter from Roblin, Manitoba
WinnipegStPaul9

Post by WinnipegStPaul9 »

Hey Pete, hope things are ok. Will be thinking about you. Don
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

My feeling are that there have been some cheap Dator Tunnels ie JD Serial Numbers sold in the past, now that they are gone, the cheapness of serial numbers might also be gone........... I felt that if someone had the correct motor, pipes, & air box, The tunnel on this sled was what it was A Dator Tunnel, with the correct suspension & track..Ok so it wasn't a Dator Lite... & some of the cosmetics needed changing...
Pete if I'd of had the extra cash we would be talking about meeting at the boarder..

Just my $.0675 worth

Kenny
AKA: Kenny, Grumpy, Mr. Richard Head
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
Do Anti-War Protesters have reunions? If so what do they TALK about?
cyclone crazy

Post by cyclone crazy »

I agree with the posts listed that this sled isnt a candidate to be a restored and correct Dator. But, I dont agree that it is nothing but a parts sled with a serial number.

Buy it for $1400. Restore the chassis, hood seat,etc. Put a Kioritz 440 in it. Total investment $2500-$3000. You have a restored Dator, that you can ride like crazy and not sweat any mechanical problems. Wrong running gear and it won't appreciate in value to any large extent. But, your investment is minimal and your payback would remain pretty close to breakeven, depending on how much you get out and use it.

Now, I'm not saying this is a superior investment to a $3000-$3500 complete Dator unrestored. But, not everyone can spend $3000 on a basket Dator, knowing that their is plenty more cash to follow. This is would be for a guy on a limited budget to own a Dator, restore it as money permits and enjoy it.

Nice to see her back on the trail, instead of in the parts pile. They don't all have to be correct, complete, number matching, trailer queens.
JDCornFlakes

Post by JDCornFlakes »

Greg , I agree with with you 100% !

You could take this thing put the 440 Liquifire in it and ride like the wind.

OR

If you have a Dator stuff and need the chassis it there with track, hood and a bunch of extra stuff.

They all don't have to pristine perfect all correct show sleds ya know guys. The sled comes first sometimes then extra sometimes fall into your lap.

I went to look at a Liquifire and with talking with owner before sale ending up buying a Dator motor and pipes from him for a $100.00

The deals are not always clear and easy.

Fuel may go higher and the border is made more mysterious then it really is.

Pete ..I hope all works out that whatever happens you are happy with it .
Life is too short to go through it un-happy !

Thanx Dave
DAVE
I500

Post by I500 »

What if you took a 76 Liquifire and put a Dator hood on it? You could still ride it like crazy and enjoy for a bit less money. Finding a Dator motor and pipes for $100 is not my luck. I always pay to much.
Woke up this morning and looked out the window. Not convinced that it is the off season. 4 inches of fresh snow and its almost May. Time ti ride??????//

:blink: