80 Liquifire Oil Injection Question

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
johndeere96

Post by johndeere96 »

Hi Gents!
I have a question for the group. I have restored a 1980 Liquifire 440 complete. It runs like a champ and is a fun vintage ride. My question is this.. I recently started it in the shop to fog it for the summer and discovered that the oil injection was way to rich. The shop soon filled with two stroke smoke but then a realization. After it ran for about two minutes the rich condition cleared.
It occurred to me that on reassembly I didn't put a in line oil feed filter between the tank and oil pump.
Is the oil tank pressure flooding the internals with two stroke oil? Is that the reason why a in line oil filter is installed from factory?
Have I missed something by misreading the schematic? Anyone have any ideas that might cause this symptom?
I am using very good quality two stroke oil
Any help is appreciated..

Dave Veitch
JohnDeere96
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Liquifire84

Post by Liquifire84 »

Mine does the same thing. I looks richer until it gets up to temp then it clears up. But make sure that your have the cable set right at the stop and it should open up the moment the slides move in the carbs.

Brice
Mr. Deere

Post by Mr. Deere »

The reason the filters there is to keep crap out of the system. I would strongly agree on getting one. I started mine up a few weeks ago to stabilize it and it smoked like a chimney. I thought it was on fire. I am thinking that the oil in it started to break down and it gummed up a little. As soon as I ran it it cleared right out. Our newer ones do the same but to not the same extent of smoke. Either that or mine and your check valve is junk in the pump and is letting oil leak by. i doubt it though. Probably just old oil depending on when it was last run. BOB
BOB From MASS
OWN: 1 1983 JOHN DEERE LIQUIFIRE 440
1 1973 JOHN DEERE JDX8 440
1 1982 JOHN DEERE SPORTFIRE 440
1 2000 SKIDOO MXZ 600
GOTTA LOVE THAT TWO STROKE SMELL
johndeere96

Post by johndeere96 »

Thanks Gents

I was looking for a technical explanation for my question.
My question is why the oil injection is so rich on startup after sitting for a period of time.

Like I stated, I only use very good quality two stroke oil and the piece is a complete restoration that runs very well.

JohnDeere96
JDXspec

Post by JDXspec »

I think Just the fact the engine is cold it will smoke more than when its warm. The temp isn't hot enough to burn all the oil the so it builds some in the exhaust and slowly burns off as it starts to warm up causing the smoke. When it has warmed up it properly burns the oiland thus smokes less.
Own 74 295/s, 75 340/S, 800, 76 440 Liquifire, 300, Liquidator (3), 78 440 Liquifire, 340 Liquifire CC, 80 Liquifire, 82 Trailfire LX, 83 Sprintfire 84 Sportfire
JDFanPa

Post by JDFanPa »

pretty much any sled new or old will smoke pretty heavy on start up if its been sitting awhile if you had to much oil it would end up fouling the plugs