340/S engine cover/shroud

Topics related to the 295/S, 340/S, Liquidator, and Cross Country
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

RICH, MARK, Anyone??

:o Whats the deal with all the cracked engine covers on the 340/S motors,

:( I guess I never looked at these before, everyone I have is cracked some beyond repair why are they worse than the 295/S motors for cracking? because of being out front & faster causing more vibs?
Finding these motors or sleds with un-cracked ones will be hard I think & finding un-cracked covers more valuable. I also looked the bolt pattern is different than the Cyclone motors, any body able to ck the 100 series to see if they are the same bolt pattern or different than the 340/S ??

Kenny
AKA: Kenny, Grumpy, Mr. Richard Head
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
Do Anti-War Protesters have reunions? If so what do they TALK about?
400brian

Post by 400brian »

At the time Stebner delivered that 340S last August, I was looking it over and noted the chicken shat welding on the cooling shroud. Greg told me that in his experience, most of them are cracked/or have been welded.

The two 340S' that I have, both being low miles, are OK.

The only shroud that I have that I know is less than perfect is on the 340/5 in the green machine, and who knows how many miles that has on it. It is cracked around the bolts on top of the heads. Troy's S is cracked more around the air exit area if I remember right. The hood plenum may contribute to this problem.

'09 Vintage Challenge Survivor, and I wasn't late for supper!
'10, '11, '12, '13,'14,'15,'16,'17, '18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Vintage Challenge Survivor !
72 400 restored, Father bought new in '71
73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'74 X8 9 time VC finisher
'78 Spitfire in progress
2 '75 340S 1 running, one on deck
'78 LF 440 future CC clone
'73 Skiroule RTX 440, 500 mi.
kioritz

Post by kioritz »

It is hard to find any Kioritz (fan cooled) shrouds that are not cracked.
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

I have a 340/22 & 440/22 that are nice.

Kenny
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
JDT

Post by JDT »

I would agree with kioritz; Seams like 75% of the machines I have seen have at least one crack near the bolt holes.

A seller on ebay has a store with NOS covers for sale. jwc is the name located in Green Bay.
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

You have an ebay Item number as I couldn't find them??
thanks
Kenny
Wildfire II

Post by Wildfire II »

Cracked an welded 340/s eng. shrouds give your sled more character. Showing that it has been raced!!!!!!!!
JDT

Post by JDT »

Eric and Kenny----
I checked the sellers store and she (Charlie) does not have them list right now but does from time to time. I have bought two from her in the past.

Item number 380030139189 is a link to the store.
I have bought other items from them in the past and found the NOS item to be great plus combined shipping saves you money.
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Ed, I guess of all people I should have realized that, now shouldn't I

:D

;)

Kenny