80 LF Engine Woes

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
sparcat

80 LF Engine Woes

Post by sparcat »

I'm just a little frustrated and angry right now.. I have been rebuilding the engine for my 80 LF, and after getting a set of heads, because the bolts that hook the head to the top coolant manifold together, broke both bolts off in the head, I now have an added headache.

I tried to take the thermostat housing off of the top coolant manifold, to check the thermostat, and replace the gasket. Ended up breaking 2 of the 3 bolts off at the coolant manifold, tried to easy out the bolts, and broke out one of the thread parts that hold the bolts in place. In doing so, I found no thermostat, so it had been removed during it's lifetime. :twisted:

Is this rusting in the bolts, common on these engines :?:

That manifold, and replacing the missing thermostat, are the only things that are left to be done, to complete the engine rebuild.

Kind of sucks, since I was hoping that I would get the engine going, and maybe take it for a quick spin, if we get the snow they are predicting early next week!

I'm almost ready to put this project up for sale, as I keep dumping in money weekly, just trying to get the engine, clutch, and dash where they should be good. :mad:

Guess I'll head to the classifieds :!:
Last edited by sparcat on Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.