2010 Vintage Challange Ride with the Champs

Tom Rowland

2010 Vintage Challange Ride with the Champs

Post by Tom Rowland »

Thought I would start a new thread here as it looks like one has not been yet began on this topic. Last years event was so darn fun that I will not forget it anytime soon. Definately one of the most memorable vintage events that I have ever attended. I thought the organizers did a fantastic job with it for the first year. With that being said, maybe we can post some ideas here that might be considered for incorporation into this years event?? In case the organizers do read this thread...these are only ideas...I know very little about organizing an event like this, I am sure it is not easy. Come on 2009 Vintage Challange Veterens, post up some ideas here...I'll start with a few....

Could we as a group get a local gasoline delivery company to set up "Fuel Stops" at various check points? They could be set up with change, gas cans, oil, etc. Can be kind of I-500 style? This would shave huge time off the days run. We could also be a little more in control of when along the route we get our gas.

Should we consider being in groups of say 4-6 riders? I am reluctant to use the word "team' because it is not a race. If we were in designated groups, each group with some tools, a tow sled, etc...we could better/quicker meet support trailers and get the remainder of the group back on the trail again.

These are just my first two ideas...please post your ideas here as well...
JoeRainville

Re: 2010 Vintage Challange Ride with the Champs

Post by JoeRainville »

Hey Tom!

Great suggestions. The NY Posse talks about it all the time, and ways to make it better.

One thing working hard against us was TIME! So I am suggesting we leave right from breakfast instead of visiting the HOF after we eat. I think grouping up is a good idea too. I could suggest orgainzing our groups earlier if possable.

I also have some idea's on the fuel stops. I am suggesting offering my truck and enclosed trailer to meet up with us at the fuel and lunch stop. I suggested to the JD guys that we put 10 gallons or more of pre-mix fuel in the back of the truck per sled so the fuel stops go much faster.

Keep the sugguestions coming guys!

-Joe Rainville
Honorary Tech Editor

Chuck Norris doesn't get frost bite. He bites the frost.
400brian

Post by 400brian »

I've been talking to VC riders about this since last Feb.

Question: 1) Do we try to keep the entire large group together, ...or, do we launch in smaller groups that think they can stay together? A large group seems very hard to keep together, and I've heard that from other sources as well.

2) We absolutely need a support truck meeting us at the fuel stops. We need gas and spare sleds on board.

3) I want to see the sleds lined up and ready to go at the Whitetail BEFORE breakfast. Insert chow, driver's meeting, LAUNCH!

4) Everyone brings a selection of jets. On a long ride like this, it appears the underhood temps come up enough to require going smaller. That's for the Mikuni riders,...the WALBRO guys have no issues to deal with! :lol22:

5) Replace the bearings in your sleds!

6) Prepare for the ride of the season! :thinksnow:

'09 Vintage Challenge Survivor, and I wasn't late for supper!
'10, '11, '12, '13,'14,'15,'16,'17, '18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Vintage Challenge Survivor !
72 400 restored, Father bought new in '71
73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'74 X8 9 time VC finisher
'78 Spitfire in progress
2 '75 340S 1 running, one on deck
'78 LF 440 future CC clone
'73 Skiroule RTX 440, 500 mi.
Matt

Post by Matt »

The need for support vehicles was evident well before last years run - the problem was actually finding people to do it. Loren advertised many times looking for help, but let's face it, everyone wants to ride!
:usa: Matt - JDsleds.com Administrator
Tom Rowland

Post by Tom Rowland »

400Brian mentions spare sleds in the support truck. Eric and I have discussed this at length and are wondering...do we bring spare vintage sleds to bring out as needed, and, run the risk of another breakdown with it? Or, do we have late-model sleds as the spares that should have a lesser chance of a breakdown?

I am also all for still having a pre-ride breakfast but also leaving very early in the day. That "should" allow us greater time in the evening to visit with one another after the conclusion of the ride.

As Matt mentions, it will likely again be difficult to find support vehicle drivers...if we were in small groups, each group trying to be self-sufficiant, does each group have their own support truck/gas/back up sleds/etc? Is there a pool of local people that we could get to drive our trucks? They would surely know road crossings, meeting points, etc better than most of us.
400brian

Post by 400brian »

Tom

You have a PM.

'10, '11, '12, '13,'14,'15,'16,'17, '18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Vintage Challenge Survivor !
73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'78 Spitfire in progress
Norton

Post by Norton »

Tom,

Glad you started this thread! On our way home from the HOF Vintage Challenge “TXL” Mike and I had several ideas to keep us from returning to the Whitetail in the dark.

For us it was our first time snowmobiling in Wisconsin and Michigan so when the clutch blew on the Liquidator, for us it was like having your 5 Star General shot off his horse just before the battle! We did not even bring a road map, let alone a trail map. So this year a GPS will be strapped to the handle bars on at least one of our sleds in the group. And if it means that I can’t complete the ride because I borrowed my sled to the General to keep the ride going, I will do that. I might ask in return that he sign my hood!

Second we decided that we needed to have OUR vintage sleds in the BEST condition possible. For example I fouled a plug going across a lake because I was using premix and injection at the same time because I did not put enough miles on the 82 Liquifire after a complete rebuild, BEFORE the HOF ride! Later in the day the rev limiter failed and it took way too much time for me to figure out what was wrong. A result of not having enough experience with the sled! The goal for 2010: Do my absolute best to get ALL the bugs out so no one has to stop for me! The idea of a ride Friday is very good in my opinion.

The fuel stops were very slow. Some riders wanted a 40 to 1 others 50 to 1 and me, I needed raw gas. Buying the MI trail pass was not a speedy process either. Think these are an easy fix.

This post has got long but I would like to add one more thing! This was one of the most enjoyable rides I have had in the years I have been riding. My son has heard the stories and now he is planning on riding the HOF with a sled half the HP he usually rides. Maybe he will get the bug too.

keith
427cobra

Post by 427cobra »

I was wondering if there was an option to just participate in the Vintage ride?

Although last year a few of the sleds in our small group would not have finished the ride... :bonk: We had to use the back up sled I brought with.... :needsnow:
Eric A.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid" - John Wayne
Tom Rowland

Post by Tom Rowland »

So often when I think of the Vintage Challange event I cannot help but think about what the I-500 may have been like during the 1970s. While a 170 mile vintage joy ride is a far cry from full-blown-all-out competition of the I-500, it has a few similarities...similar miles covered in one day, sleds of many different brands, desire to complete the run with no break downs, early morning start, late in the day finish, trying to stay on route, wondering how your fellow participants are fairing, etc. Add on top of this some of the legendary people that are on Vintage Challange that were participants in I-500s of years past, it is impossible not to draw some similarities between the 2 events. With that being said, maybe we can consider a few things to add even further flavor to the event...(you can call me crazy at any time on some of these ideas)...lets see if a local radio station wanted to be at the beginning of the event, do a short broadcast, have some music blaring over their sound system, etc. They could also broadcast as the group begins arriving at the mid-way point. Next...could we find some sponsors to provide us a start/finish line banner and a few banners to have at the mid-way destination? "Welcome Vintage Challange Participants" etc. Could we find a sponsor to provide us a sled sticker, maybe even a number decal for each sleds windshield, etc? Not sure we need to go so far as huge I-500 decals that once were used but maybe something a little smaller? Other ideas guys/gals??
WinnipegStPaul9

Post by WinnipegStPaul9 »

Boy, I hate to be a "wet blanket" but Loren's main concern last year was to make certain the Vintage Challenge wasn't construed as a race. Tom your ideas would bring back great memories to me (like riding through Minnesota towns with school kids lining the streets) but I think Loren and the board would have to give their blessing. Thanks for starting the thread, a lot of us have been so darned busy with the "charity sled" that the actual ride has kind of taken a back seat. I'm also fortunate that the 340/S was done before the 09 ride so I can relax this winter, LOL..

DA
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
400brian

Post by 400brian »

Boy, I hate to be a "wet blanket" but Loren's main concern last year was to make certain the Vintage Challenge wasn't construed as a race.
I'm glad you brought that up Don, I didn't want to be a "wet blanket" either.
My understanding was that the reason it couldn't be a race, was insurance.

I like Tom's enthusiasm though! It's not a "race", it's a fast ride. :lol22:

Actually, I know that several list members had ideas for decals, perhaps we could get a participant sticker of some kind. Tom perhaps doesn't want a decal with the Deere logo on it :angel: ?

73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'78 Spitfire in progress
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

:doh: 170 miles in one day? how the hell did I miss that part before this :pray: wow, :shifty: I think I really do need to get in shape..

Kenny
AKA: Kenny, Grumpy, Mr. Richard Head
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
Do Anti-War Protesters have reunions? If so what do they TALK about?
400brian

Post by 400brian »

Kenny

Haven't you been reading the posts? :lol22:

It was billed as 150 mi., but we saw higher figures on the sleds. There were a few wrong turns :roll:

73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'78 Spitfire in progress
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

OK, so I haven't been paying much attention, :wall: I thought I would just roll with the flow. So what is the actual miles traveled??
:think: Keep in mind I haven't ridden more that a couple miles at a time since the middle 80's :lol22:

Kenny
AKA: Kenny, Grumpy, Mr. Richard Head
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
Do Anti-War Protesters have reunions? If so what do they TALK about?
Tom Rowland

Post by Tom Rowland »

Great replys guys! I would be ok if a sled sticker happened to say John Deere on it. As a matter of fact, quite a few of the sleds that passed me on last years ride were John Deeres! I really don't think this is even remotely close to becoming a race. Honestly, the times that I dared take my eyes off the trail and look at my speedo I was normally under 30 mph. Once in a while I was running 50-60. The one time that I was in an area to really try to open my 340cc up it did not go so well...as I was approaching somewhere near 70mph my secondary opened so far that my belt sucked down into the sheave rivits and locked my engine and track at the same time! I was able to recover from that and continue the ride but that was all the reminder I needed not to go that fast again. Regarding the mileage of the ride...I think I had about 163 miles on the odometer when my water pump failure made me load on a trailer. That was just after leaving St Gremain and heading for the Whitetail. I think I was around 3 miles from finishing under my own power? Good news for 2010, I just got an NOS water pump in my hands last week, was hard to find. As others here are mentioning, Eric and I are going to have a few 50 mile rides on our sleds this winter prior to Vintage Challange. Oh, and don't worry Joe, I'll be on top of my jetting this year! Tom.