295/S Dual Fuel Tanks

Topics related to the 295/S, 340/S, Liquidator, and Cross Country
iajdsledhead

295/S Dual Fuel Tanks

Post by iajdsledhead »

My 295/s has the small tank and the 5.5 gallon front tank kit. The tool pouch fits in between the chain case and the belly pan.
Matt

Re: WANTED TOOL BAG FOR 295/S

Post by Matt »

Mark, sounds good. iajd, how does yours utilize both tanks, a manual valve?
iajdsledhead

Re: WANTED TOOL BAG FOR 295/S

Post by iajdsledhead »

Matt, mine was set up to siphon from the front tank into the rear tank. It never worked at all with gravity working against it; don't know what they were thinking.It meant for a pretty short range from home back when it was my primary sled! Horicon Joe's 295/S has a manual valve to switch from front to rear but he didn't know if it was original or not. I have an NOS 5.5 gal tank install kit for a 295/S but it doesn't include a valve.
ICCSF 108

WANTED TOOL BAG FOR 295/S

Post by ICCSF 108 »

iajdsledhead wrote:Matt, mine was set up to siphon from the front tank into the rear tank. It never worked at all with gravity working against it; don't know what they were thinking.It meant for a pretty short range from home back when it was my primary sled! Horicon Joe's 295/S has a manual valve to switch from front to rear but he didn't know if it was original or not. I have an NOS 5.5 gal tank install kit for a 295/S but it doesn't include a valve.

If the front tank would have been sealed tight ( no vented caps ) then it would have worked like it was set up to work.. I'm not sure if the fuel gauge cap or the red one were vented or not though??

Kenny
AKA: Kenny, Grumpy, Mr. Richard Head
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
Do Anti-War Protesters have reunions? If so what do they TALK about?
Matt

Re: 295/S Dual Fuel Tanks

Post by Matt »

I split this topic from the 295/S tool bag topic since I sortof hijacked it.

I was thinking about running my fuel line from the pump to the front tank, then front tank to small tank, and using a sealed fuel cap on the front tank. Anyone done this and seen it work? My concern is that the pump isn't strong enough.
:usa: Matt - JDsleds.com Administrator
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Matt, Remember that the Mikuni Pumps are pushers not pullers, that is why they are always mounted lower than the fuel tank..

Kenny
AKA: Kenny, Grumpy, Mr. Richard Head
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
Do Anti-War Protesters have reunions? If so what do they TALK about?
JDT

Post by JDT »

Excellent point Kenny. :clap:
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
Matt

Post by Matt »

It must be able to pull as well, as the pump is above the 2 gallon tank, and the ETD sleds pulled fuel all the way from the bottom of the belly pan.
iajdsledhead

Post by iajdsledhead »

Matt,I eventually hooked the front tank directly to the fuel pump to gain range so I could ride with my buddies.It worked fine, the only problem I had was convincing them that it was the stock KEC295RS/2 when I kept up with their later model 440's.The '74 400's,500's,600's and '75 400's and 600's with the Bendix carb used a Walbro pump similar to a Mikuni with the front tank. From my experience you should be able to run the front tank without too much problem. The front tank was vented through the gas guage like the other 74 and earlier steel tank sleds but it seems like the rear tank wasn't. It has been in storage for awhile so I need to go look at rear tank to be sure.