Making Memories on the old Spitfire

This is where you can post the story & photos of your John Deere Snowmobile project.
81 spitfire

Making Memories on the old Spitfire

Post by 81 spitfire »

Today I was finally able to put in a good day of riding on the 1980 spitfire. This is my grandfather's sled and we have been working together to get it running for a few years now.
3-2-13 2.jpg
When we started working we were just cleaning the carburetor and putting in new fuel lines. The two of us thought we had it running pretty well so I decided to take it out for a test ride. The ride was great until about a half hour in it would just lose power and quit. This happened a few more times before I found this site and I'm sure glad I did.

After doing a lot of searching and a lot of asking questions I was able to determine that It was the my CDI box that was causing the problem. I was pretty discouraged when I couldn't find any online, but thanks to a few members on here I was able to get the part. Through all my reading and searching I found that I should replace the seals so I went ahead and installed a whole new gasket set and seals thanks to NewBreedParts. This winter my grandpa and I were able to get all the new parts put in and get it running. I was very excited when she started right up on the third pull after the rebuild and sounded a lot better than before. Thinking the problems could be fixed it was time to test it out. Shortly into testing there was a loud noise and a rattling coming from the PTO side... When I pulled the plug it looked like there was metal stuck to it, never a good sign. After pulling the head this is what I found.
Blow up 1.jpg
So I knew it was time to tear the motor apart again and inspect. I found what looked to be the remains of some foreign metal that didn't do the piston and jug any good.
Blow up 2.jpg
It was back here to find replacement parts which to my surprise didn't take long. Within a week I had the the new jug, cylinder, piston, and rings at the doorstep and was determined to get the thing back together before the end of the season. This weekend I was finally able to make the 5 hour drive to my grandfather's to put everything back together. By now I know what size every nut and bolt is on that motor so it went together pretty quickly. Having to wait the 24 hours for the sealant to set up was one of the hardest things to do.

After what seemed like forever, the motor was ready to go back in. I got everything tightened up and re-installed by about 2 am this morning. I thought "Here goes nothing" as I pulled it over was delighted as it started right up. I shut it down and went to bed for some much needed sleep. First thing this morning I loaded the sleds up on the trailer and headed down to the lake.
3-2-13 3.jpg
We were able to ride for about 3 hours this morning before the weather started to get worse. On our ride around the lake we stopped in at The Prop (pictured above) and showed off the sled. When going to restart it the pull rope broke... One thing that I have learned very well with these old sleds is if it's not one thing, it's another. Luckily I had the tools and extra rope to get her back running after removing the recoil assembly. We ran the rest of the day with that off and the sled didn't quit until I turned the key at the trailer.

It has been a long journey full of ups and downs and I just want to say thank you to everyone here who has helped me out along the way. A big thanks to Rob (Jdrob) and sledder670 for the parts and Todd (JDT) for answering so many of my questions, and the list is endless. This site is full of great people who have helped me with this directly and indirectly and I'm sure happy that I found it. Thanks to Matt for all the work you do to keep this site and NewBreed up and running so we can keep these old sleds going. In the word's of my Grandpa "We're making memories!"
3-2-13 1.jpg
JDT

Re: Making Memories on the old Spitfire

Post by JDT »

What a great story.

Spending time with your grandfather working on his machine is priceless. Having a succesful ending makes it even better.

Anytime you can invole a family member in a project it becomes very special.
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
jdsledsrgr8

Post by jdsledsrgr8 »

Great stuff. That is what vintage sleds and this site are all about. It is not pretty at times but success does happen with lots of smiles and laughs along the way.
:beers;
Mt. Horeb WI
1976 Liquidator
1976 Liquidator Clone
1978 Liquifire 440
skoalmint

Post by skoalmint »

Amazing story.Not to mention all the great mechanical skills u aquire along the way.LOL And alot of GREAT memories, that u will never forget. Brock