LIQUIFIRE II

This is where you can post the story & photos of your John Deere Snowmobile project.
Horicon Joe

LIQUIFIRE II

Post by Horicon Joe »

I thought I would share what I have been up to for the last year. I decided to do a custom build with a Liquifire and a 1996 Formula Z.
My main goal was to fit the Z’s drivetrain, motor, suspension and exhaust in the Liq without altering the hood or basic package of the original machine.
I knew it would be difficult and soon found out how difficult it really would be to fit it into such a small sled. I am nearing the end of the build and
will try to get you caught up. I have never had so much fun working on a snowmobile and have enjoyed all of it!

Joe

Last edited by Horicon Joe on Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:27 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Please add your Real Name in your User Profile or at least your first Name!
Horicon Joe

Re: LIQUIFRE II

Post by Horicon Joe »

Tear down ..........

Last edited by Horicon Joe on Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:21 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Horicon Joe

Post by Horicon Joe »

With some advice from Kevin and Ross ...... I wanted to keep the center to center distance of the clutch’s on the Z when installed in the Liquifire II.
I will be calling this contraption "Liquifire II" because internally at the factory, this is what they called the second generation Liquifires.

Here is what I made as an alignment tool for future reference.
This should allow me to keep the original belts from the Z without a bunch of screwing around with different belt sizes. Time will tell............

Last edited by Horicon Joe on Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
skoalmint

Post by skoalmint »

Keep it Coming Joe, I like It. Brock
That Girl Racing

Post by That Girl Racing »

Great project Joe. Get rid of that Doo back clutch and put a Cat when you have a chance! We raced one of those Z's in the stock classes "back in the day"
AirborneX4Special

Post by AirborneX4Special »

I'll bet that thing will be really fast ....... :popcorn:
Horicon Joe

Post by Horicon Joe »

First things first. I had to settle on a motor angle and position and sized up how things might fit. I put the doo chain case in to set where the drive wheels would need to go.
I made another alignment tool to keep the proper chain case center to center distance.

Last edited by Horicon Joe on Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:13 pm, edited 11 times in total.
kwc

Post by kwc »

Are we going to see this sled in a couple of weeks up at the Paradise ride??
Kevin Campbell
Vicksburg, Michigan
Horicon Joe

Post by Horicon Joe »

Peter .... we can talk some time about that clutch .... sounds interesting. Kevin that is the plan for now.

One of the first big problems I saw was the carbs. The steering column went right through the one on the right and the bowls crashed into the bulk head.
Also the frame needed to be cut for the exhaust pipe to fit down below the hood scoop area. I ended up cutting the clutch side frame as well for room that was needed. After dropping the motor in and out a few dozen times I came up with a mocked up motor mount and a mocked up steering column I made out of some thin walled conduit pipe bent by hand. The motor mount was made with a chopped up Sportfire mount and the Doo mount.

Last edited by Horicon Joe on Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:58 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Horicon Joe

Post by Horicon Joe »

Once I had the motor mount close, I made the first laser/formed part. About a week later I made the final mount out of Stainless and added a few changes.
The motor mount alone took up a lot of time on this project but was well worth it as the motor went in and out many times after it was made.

Last edited by Horicon Joe on Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
AirborneX4Special

Post by AirborneX4Special »

It's good you took the time to photograph the proceedings. It's almost like we are watching the stall build of a prototype machine back in the day. :popcorn: :dance:
69camaro

Post by 69camaro »

Looking good Joe.
75-340/s
76-340 Liquifire
77-440 Liquifire Custom
78-440 Liquifire
84-Liquifire
84-Sportfire
84-Sprintfire
84-Snowfire
78-Polaris TXL
82-Indy 500
91-XC 400
91-Indy 500 Special
94-Indy 440 Special
95-XCR 440 Special
96-XCR 440 Special
99-XC 600
04-XC 700
81-Kawasaki 440 Invader
Horicon Joe

Post by Horicon Joe »

Thanks Duane

Next move was to give the lower drive axle a permanent home. I made a shaft that slipped into the lower bearing case side and a bushing on the opposite side that fit into new side plate. I squared up the axle and tacked everything in place. Then it was time rotate the chain case forward
to its final center to center clutch spacing.

Last edited by Horicon Joe on Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:26 pm, edited 6 times in total.
sledder670

Post by sledder670 »

Well and the nice thing is once your tired of the 583, the 670 will drop right in. I have seen this project of Joe's and it looks like it will be a very nice set up and built well also. I think he carved up to nice of a donor sled though, I could have found you some much nicer junk next time.
I buy sell and service all brands. Contact me and i might be able to help. sleds 2-liquidators, 75 340/S, 80 liquifire, 78 440 liquifire, 75 jd 300, 83 9700 skidoo blizzard, 86 skidoo formula plus, 79 motoski super sonic, 91 skidoo mach 1 x, 92 formula plus x, 95 mxz 440, 3 toni hiakonen edition mxz's, 98 mxzx, 97 mxzx, 77 skidoo rv cross coutry, 77 skidoo Rv 340, 75 skidoo tnt 340FA, 97skidoo formula3LT, 06 800 skidoo summit, 08 skidoo tnt full trail mod with nos
Horicon Joe

Post by Horicon Joe »

Thanks for the compliment. Larger motor sounds interesting but I don't even know if any of this is going to work yet :pray:
That sled was well used and the belly pan took about 3 hours in a 120 ton arbor press to get it even close to back in shape and
cracked aluminum everywhere etc...... :angel:

Next step Y pipe in above pictue :doh: